Abstract :
    [...] The project GoldenEye was rumored to be a big server cloud facility with military-grade specs. Nevertheless, a new mystery building resembling such rumors has finally been erected and “A number of people from varying business units are housed there,” says Rebecca Freiburger, corporate communications manager at RIM.
    RIM Builds Mystery Building; Could it be Project GoldenEye? | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - forums, leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews
    06-03-12 06:45 AM
    Interesting. What I'm starting to dislike is on all of these sites the comments are turning into nothing but people posting their own twitter Site to promote themselves.
    BearSnout, Superfly_FR and louzer like this.
    06-03-12 07:09 AM
    Yes I'm wondering what RIM is up to there. It could just be an office building...but that would be a let down. Then again, the building was commissioned in 2010, and considering back then RIM was only doing what it wanted/absolutely had to, a cloud server facility might have been a bit of an odd move for RIM then...
    06-03-12 07:11 AM
    Yes I'm wondering what RIM is up to there. It could just be an office building...but that would be a let down. Then again, the building was commissioned in 2010, and considering back then RIM was only doing what it wanted/absolutely had to, a cloud server facility might have been a bit of an odd move for RIM then...
    What makes you think this would be an odd move in 2010? That's the year that the PlayBook was announced, and so it could be very possible that RIM was planning to rebuild their push service back then. RIM had ling ago mentioned that BIS/BES will be difficult to port to QNX, so this could be part of that plan.
    06-03-12 08:17 PM
    What makes you think this would be an odd move in 2010? That's the year that the PlayBook was announced, and so it could be very possible that RIM was planning to rebuild their push service back then. RIM had ling ago mentioned that BIS/BES will be difficult to port to QNX, so this could be part of that plan.
    Because until late 2011 all RIM did was respond to the market later than competitors, so making an innovative move back in 2010 would have been odd for them. It was only in the second half of 2011 they admitted BIS/BES on QNX would be tricky...
    06-04-12 01:29 PM
    Just because you don't hear what's going inside the company doesn't mean it's not happening. It's fully possible that RIM was in the pelimiary stages of innovation back then, but so early that it wasn't even company-wide.
    06-04-12 02:33 PM
    Seems like the power requirements for a server farm and an suite of executive offices might be a little different. Wonder if that can be determined from the outside?

I always wondered how they got these up there to start a building:

Doesn't look like Google Maps has been updated there since 2010...
    06-04-12 02:57 PM
    Just because you don't hear what's going inside the company doesn't mean it's not happening. It's fully possible that RIM was in the pelimiary stages of innovation back then, but so early that it wasn't even company-wide.
    But all RIM's actions from 2010 to late 2011 have shown a distinct lack of innovation and individualism. It's been running around like a headless chicken chasing the market whilst trying to have a semblance of an identity. It's only since Thorsten has come in and introduced some focus has it developed its own personality as to what it will sell to consumers. Without knowing who you want to sell to, you can't innovate properly.

Much was I would like RIM to have been innovating in 2010, from what we've seen I just don't think it's credible.
    Last edited by gtpointer; 06-04-12 at 03:00 PM.
    06-04-12 02:58 PM
    Much was I would like RIM to have been innovating in 2010, from what we've seen I just don't think it's credible.
    April 9, 2010
    RIM buys Ottawa's QNX Software - Technology & Science - CBC News

December 2, 2010
    RIM welcomes TAT! �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Probably their two most strategic moves that signal departure away from BB OS and into the future with BB 10.
    06-04-12 03:07 PM
    It's going to be a giant agregator....

At this point, RIM is using MS Active Sync to manage the synchronization between Playbook and BB07. There was reason they rented and didn't buy....they are building own highly secure, two-stage encrypted massive switch that will enable BB10 to manage all the connections and data users will accumulate.

While this is nothing that Apple et al aren't doing today, the fact that RIM will wrap a secure perimeter around the "RimCloud" will enable government and business users to continue using RIM without compromising security. It will also enable users to store artifacts on a private secure facility (and here's the kicker) beyond the reach of the Patriot Act.
    JR A likes this.
    06-04-12 03:11 PM
    April 9, 2010
    RIM buys Ottawa's QNX Software - Technology & Science - CBC News

December 2, 2010
    RIM welcomes TAT! �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Probably their two most strategic moves that signal departure away from BB OS and into the future with BB 10.
    Not innovating. Seeing they had a problem that needed fixing. Undoubtedly strategically important, but not innovation. They bought Torch Mobile in 2009, again undoubtedly important to BB10 but not innovation - just dealing with the problem of their shoddy browser before.

Doing something original with these buildings such as a cloud solution (or original when conceived back in 2010) WOULD have been innovation and not in keeping with the way they were operating at the time.
    06-04-12 04:38 PM
    Because until late 2011 all RIM did was respond to the market later than competitors, so making an innovative move back in 2010 would have been odd for them. It was only in the second half of 2011 they admitted BIS/BES on QNX would be tricky...
    BIS and BES are implemented using protocols implemented in software. How difficult can it be to rewrite the existing algorithms in C/C++? I thought the University of Waterloo is supposed to be graduating the brightest computer science, mathematics, and engineering students in Canada. Every time I hear someone in a technical field say "that is impossible...that is too difficult...that is too tricky" I want to scream. If they are not up to the challenge then got out of the way so others can deliver.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    06-04-12 05:00 PM
    BIS and BES are implemented using protocols implemented in software. How difficult can it be to rewrite the existing algorithms in C/C++? I thought the University of Waterloo is supposed to be graduating the brightest computer science, mathematics, and engineering students in Canada. Every time I hear someone in a technical field say "that is impossible...that is too difficult...that is too tricky" I want to scream. If they are not up to the challenge then got out of the way so others can deliver.
    I know very little about coding and developing BUT...I don't think it's about re-writing the BIS/BES infrastructure. It's about the fact that the QNX operating system just doesn't like the infrastructure it doesn't matter what language it's written in. Thus a complete over-haul/restructuring of BIS/BES was needed, which we will see the results of when BB10 is launches.
    *disclaimer: this is all speculation...RIM has been rather unclear about the exact future of BIS/BES, making a few matters here and there and confusing things further with comments about Mobile Fusion and the implementation on the PB*
    06-04-12 05:10 PM
    The best and brightest from U of Waterloo are probably working for Apple, Microsoft, or Google.
    06-04-12 05:19 PM
    if it were as simple as you think it would be done already

no offence but you don't seem to understand the reason, purpose and limitations of computer code/languages. help us all out and take a class.
    06-04-12 06:06 PM
    I know very little about coding and developing BUT...I don't think it's about re-writing the BIS/BES infrastructure. It's about the fact that the QNX operating system just doesn't like the infrastructure it doesn't matter what language it's written in. Thus a complete over-haul/restructuring of BIS/BES was needed, which we will see the results of when BB10 is launches.
    *disclaimer: this is all speculation...RIM has been rather unclear about the exact future of BIS/BES, making a few matters here and there and confusing things further with comments about Mobile Fusion and the implementation on the PB*
    I'd be more inclined to think that they don't want to bother with having to code for a transitionary period. Why adapt the new system to the old platform when they can just redevelop the new platform and have the two run side-by-side rather than risk breaking compatibilities in the old BIS/BES software.
    BBOttawa likes this.
    06-04-12 06:45 PM
    Seems like the power requirements for a server farm and an suite of executive offices might be a little different. Wonder if that can be determined from the outside?

I always wondered how they got these up there to start a building:

Doesn't look like Google Maps has been updated there since 2010...
    Well generally speaking the backup generator(s) need ventilation so you should see large metal "blinds" that open for that purpose. Its hard to say but if it were a large data centre it probably would have more than one and located on rooftop, basement (parkade) or even outside.

but google in our friend and searching the address gives a forum thread showing municipal planning details:

AMENDMENT TO REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF WATERLOO CONTROLLED ACCESS BY-LAW #58-87 FOR ACCESS TO REGIONAL ROAD #50 (WESTMOUNT ROAD), CITY OF WATERLOO
    REGION OF WATERLOO PLANNING, HOUSING AND COMMUNITY SERVICES: Transportation Planning
    TO: Chair Jim Wideman and Members of the Planning and Works Committee
    DATE: June 22, 2010 | Report: P-10-060

RECOMMENDATION:
    THAT the Regional Municipality of Waterloo Controlled Access By-law #58-87 be amended to include a temporary right in-right only construction access on the east side of Regional Road # 50 (Westmount Road) approximately 340 metres north of Bearinger Road, in the City of Waterloo as outlined in P-10-060, dated June 22, 2010.

SUMMARY:
    Research in Motion has received Site Plan approval to construct a new research facility on the east side of Westmount Road, north of Bearinger Road, in the City of Waterloo. The site plan includes a previously approved permanent access to Westmount Road. The access is located south of the proposed building and due to site constraints, the contractor has requested a second temporary right in/right out access north of the proposed building. This access will be used for the duration of construction and will be closed upon completion of construction. City of Waterloo staff concur with the request.

REPORT:
    ...Research in Motion has received site plan approval to construct a 7600 m2 research facility at 560 Westmount Road, north of Bearinger Road, in the City of Waterloo (Appendix A).
    06-04-12 07:06 PM
    Has everyone forgotten about the building RIM bought in Cambridge (close to their Cherry Blossom office)? The one that's supposedly militarized and bomb proof? With barbed wire fencing and 24 hour security? If their data centre (which is likely on hold, considering their current situation) is going anywhere, it's probably going there. Just sayin...
    06-04-12 07:12 PM
    I think that it's Project Bigfoot.LOL. Talk about grabbing at straws!
    06-04-12 07:22 PM
    They're obviously building the Death Star.
    Barljo likes this.
    06-04-12 07:25 PM
    They're obviously building the Death Star.
    "That's no research building... It's a space station...
    Barljo likes this.
    06-04-12 07:43 PM
    Not innovating. Seeing they had a problem that needed fixing. Undoubtedly strategically important, but not innovation. They bought Torch Mobile in 2009, again undoubtedly important to BB10 but not innovation - just dealing with the problem of their shoddy browser before.

Doing something original with these buildings such as a cloud solution (or original when conceived back in 2010) WOULD have been innovation and not in keeping with the way they were operating at the time.
    You know, in a perfect world RIM would have solved all its problems in-house. However, like many, many companies before them, when they recognized a talented startup that could address a business problem, they bought them.

In the strictest sense, you could argue that RIM was merely "buying innovation", but when you look at all of the acquisitions Apple and Microsoft have made over the years, it's not like there's no precedent.

I think it's important to evaluate those acquisitions, though. Torch got them a kick- browser team. QNX got them the basis for a potentially great OS. TAT gave them a great team of UI designers. Were these acquisitions mistakes?

Sure, they likely started too late. Most likely, they didn't understand how long it would take to "digest" these acquisitions and get them functioning as parts of RIM, but that doesn't mean the acquisitions were bad, or reflected bad strategy.
    06-05-12 12:00 AM
    It's Project Tin-Foil-Hat. Now move on. Nothing to see here...
    06-05-12 12:27 AM
    Sounds like an R&D facility, how can you get a "large-scale" data center in a three story building? Especially if there are building for the next generation. If we take one of apple's data centers as providing something to compare with, the one they set-up in North Carolina (in 2009) is across 180 acres (I think).
    06-05-12 06:19 AM
    This would be VERY late in the game to be just completing a data center for cloud features. I would think these would be integrated into their existing NOC structures rather than a small building. However, this may be a new HQ for QNX or even for one of their other purchased subsidiaries.
    06-05-12 06:28 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD