12-28-10 10:23 AM
    That stupid link won't show in Safari... I'm gonna have to try a different browser...

EDIT: Yeah, it's still in testing as far as we know. Both the hardware and the software are nowhere near final build. When it gets released and you have played with it long enough (That's what she said), then people can talk all they want.
    Last edited by CASH; 12-28-10 at 10:46 AM.
    12-28-10 10:38 AM
    Bad battery life? I'm sure it wont release that way or they will at least improve it a little. RIM and their fanboys are so anal about battery life. I can't see RIM releasing it that way. If May comes and they still have bad battery life, I would expect to see another delay.
    12-28-10 10:40 AM
    I guess years of doing "delay and problem" notes about Apple never paid off for Shaw Wu so he had to find an easier target to put his focus on.
    12-28-10 10:41 AM
    but this could not be the reason Jim and Mike say no "touchie the PlayBook for you!!"...it might be laggy, and it also don't do "portrait" yet I understand.
    12-28-10 10:48 AM
    but this could not be the reason Jim and Mike say no "touchie the PlayBook for you!!"...it might be laggy, and it also don't do "portrait" yet I understand.
    Also, maybe because he doesn't want some over zealous punks (bloggers) with influence making judgements on a pre-release device (hardware's not done, software's not done).
    12-28-10 11:01 AM
    “From our understanding, this could require a bit of re-engineering and [is] likely why RIMM pushed out its launch to the May 2011 quarter,” Wu writes.

This is why I believe that editors and facts checkers are still needed in Major publications web blogs!

The Playbook has yet to be pushed back
    Wu is STUPID they clearly are not recognizing the difference between a Calendar quarter and a Fiscal quarter,
    Based on What RIM has said, and What RIM has predicted, March will be the release date, which has not changed, it Still is in Calendar Q1 of 2011, AND in Fiscal Q1 of 2011, SO everything works for them. it was never "moved' to May 2011 quarter, and May isn't a Calendar quarter ending month.
    Wu isn't a RIM hater, Wu is simply a really bad projector, I really don't know how they are still an analysis firm.
    12-28-10 11:05 AM
    Also, maybe because he doesn't want some over zealous punks (bloggers) with influence making judgements on a pre-release device (hardware's not done, software's not done).
    bloggers get to handle pre release devices all the time. but no touchy from rim apparently.
    12-28-10 11:24 AM
    bloggers get to handle pre release devices all the time. but no touchy from rim apparently.
    Put yourself in RIM's shoes. Everyone is attacking them. If one blog with a considerable amount of influence (CrackBerry, Engadget, Gizmodo etc) says the PlayBook is slow and the battery life sucks, we'll all believe it, the media (TV, WSJ, NY Times) will say the same thing based on those blog posts and no one will have confidence in RIM or the new dual core, QNX handsets we expect in the near future.

RIM is playing it safe in terms of letting people use the PlayBook... outside of the few who already have.

I don't care how a prototype device performs, I want to know how the public release device does.
    12-28-10 11:42 AM
    CX. Has started that it WILL. Dominate the enterprise and steal consumer market share from Apple and that gingerbread or honeycomb lol will not stand against QNX . Those words coming from CX mean a lot so trust CX guys this thing will be smoking when it comes out
    12-28-10 12:00 PM
    CX. Has started that it WILL. Dominate the enterprise and steal consumer market share from Apple and that gingerbread or honeycomb lol will not stand against QNX . Those words coming from CX mean a lot so trust CX guys this thing will be smoking when it comes out
    I'm still waiting for the Dakota "game changer," the touch Bold, that was promised last Spring. Oh well.
    12-28-10 12:33 PM
    Put yourself in RIM's shoes. Everyone is attacking them. If one blog with a considerable amount of influence (CrackBerry, Engadget, Gizmodo etc) says the PlayBook is slow and the battery life sucks, we'll all believe it, the media (TV, WSJ, NY Times) will say the same thing based on those blog posts and no one will have confidence in RIM or the new dual core, QNX handsets we expect in the near future.

RIM is playing it safe in terms of letting people use the PlayBook... outside of the few who already have.

I don't care how a prototype device performs, I want to know how the public release device does.
    I agree with you 100%. If I had a playbook that wasn't ready to be touched I wouldn't let anybody touch it either. I wonder though what that says about their March 2011 release date. Oh well. We are certainly going to find out soon enough.
    12-28-10 01:07 PM
    I agree with you 100%. If I had a playbook that wasn't ready to be touched I wouldn't let anybody touch it either. I wonder though what that says about their March 2011 release date. Oh well. We are certainly going to find out soon enough.
    Kinda makes me wonder why they bothered to announce it so soon. I think they should have just waited until CES next week to officially announce it.
    12-28-10 01:17 PM
    Who got their hands on the iPad before the release date and pricing was announced?
    12-28-10 01:47 PM
    I think they should be able to hit that target date. RIM could be doing a limited run for the first batch of PlayBooks. Wouldn't want more PlayBooks than needed to be out there, that would hurt their bottom line.

Kinda makes me wonder why they bothered to announce it so soon. I think they should have just waited until CES next week to officially announce it.
    Ditto. I'm wondering the same thing. They should've waited until 3 months before release to officially announce it, while getting developers to develop Adobe AIR apps. Maybe that's it. To show devs what they would be developing for: a tablet with dual cameras, multi core processor etc.
    12-28-10 01:49 PM
    They announced early to build ties with developers and to work on their enterprise customers for orders.
    12-28-10 01:51 PM
    Who got their hands on the iPad before the release date and pricing was announced?
    apple didn't show the ipad 6 months early on youtube and elsewhere to drum up interest, stoke flames, and make folks believe they actually have some ideas, either.
    12-28-10 02:00 PM
    I seem to recall the all hail praise of OS 5.0 when he made similar statements while it was in development... look how that worked out. I'm sure QNX will be a major improvement over the current BBOS, and better hardware will make it even better. But to state that it will dominate is a pretty risky/bold statement. When WebOS was released, it was (and still is) a great operating system, but didn't do much for Palm.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 12-28-10 at 02:10 PM.
    12-28-10 02:05 PM
    I agree. I think you should announce it when you have working models in their final or near-final state to showcase it. But that's just my thoughts. RIM has to get some interest for this product well before it's released so they can build up the product. Apple doesn't have to do that. The can announce something and it will be on sale in a couple weeks from announcement because they don't have to go to the same extent to get the word out and build anticipation. Just having something like WWDC build the kind of anticipation that RIM can only dream of. But RIM needs the leaks and glimpses in order to try to get people's interest. Not saying it's a bad thing. It is what it is. Apple is a marketers dream and the amount of free press (good and bad) they receive is tremendous compared to any tech firm.
    12-28-10 02:09 PM
    apple didn't show the ipad 6 months early on youtube and elsewhere to drum up interest, stoke flames, and make folks believe they actually have some ideas, either.
    Did you forget what your claim was? It's just a few posts ago. Age catching up to you dutchtender?
    12-28-10 02:11 PM
    But to state that it will dominate is a pretty risky/bold statement.
    Exactly. All these bold declarations, both good and bad are silly. Truthfully, we've seen more disappointment from RIM over the past 2 years for anyone to declare that something will dominate. I also wouldn't call it a failure either. I think just waiting, hoping and seeing is the more rational approach rather than saying something is going to be the best/worst ever.
    12-28-10 02:11 PM
    Did you forget what your claim was? It's just a few posts ago. Age catching up to you dutchtender?
    I wonder why nobody can touch the playbook. I am beginning to wonder if it is "vaporware".
    12-28-10 02:29 PM
    They announced early to build ties with developers and to work on their enterprise customers for orders.
    I understand that aspect of the announcement but at the same time perhaps they could have built ties with developers and their enterprise market without announcing to the public and having Mike pull one out of his pocket everytime he made an appearance. Sure the rumors and speculation would have been out there but that would have drummed up more ineterest on the consumer side. I don't know, I guess I'm just frustrated after seeing it in action and falling in love with it only to have this negative rumor about poor battery life. At this point all I can do is just wait until I can put my hands on one and see for myself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 02:35 PM
    Yeah, I believe Apple announced the iPad about 3 months before it was available. Really good timing.
    12-28-10 02:36 PM
    Yeah, I believe Apple announced the iPad about 3 months before it was available. Really good timing.
    Yeah that's true. I hope when RIM officially announces the playbook we get to see it in demonstration for like the iPad in order for people to really see. Hopefully everything works out.
    12-28-10 02:38 PM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD