I know right? No means no.
    So you're saying there's a chance?

To those who say QNX has been ported to all sorts of things: that alone isn't even close to enough. Think about it. Linux runs on all sorts of things also. That doesn't mean Android can.
    04-13-12 11:50 AM
    So you're saying there's a chance?

To those who say QNX has been ported to all sorts of things: that alone isn't even close to enough. Think about it. Linux runs on all sorts of things also. That doesn't mean Android can.
    Don't bother. Seriously. QNX does it all. Just smile and wave...
    04-13-12 11:54 AM
    My friend, who is an engineer at RIM, told me not to buy a BB phone now if I want BB10.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions from this statement.
    Did your friend tell you how long will you need to wait?
    04-13-12 02:04 PM
    Did your friend tell you how long will you need to wait?
    I hope it's sooner rather than later.
    04-13-12 02:32 PM
    My friend told me to buy a hooker instead of getting married
    04-13-12 02:54 PM
    i agree on some of the comments here. If that is the case, then the phone will run very slow. I have an ipod touch 64gb. version A1318 3rd generation. When they released the ios 5.0 and new iphone 4s, i upgraded the software,the features are identical, however my ipod now run slow. giving the fact my ipod is 64gb. and still have 45 gb available. why run slow, bec. my ipod does not have A5 chip.

so u see even the old phones run BB10. it would be painful for user to navigate their devices...

your friend, is telling u fairy tales..sorry..!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-13-12 02:59 PM
    i agree on some of the comments here. If that is the case, then the phone will run very slow. I have an ipod touch 64gb. version A1318 3rd generation. When they released the ios 5.0 and new iphone 4s, i upgraded the software,the features are identical, however my ipod now run slow. giving the fact my ipod is 64gb. and still have 45 gb available. why run slow, bec. my ipod does not have A5 chip.

so u see even the old phones run BB10. it would be painful for user to navigate their devices...

your friend, is telling u fairy tales..sorry..!

Well you had a third generation iPod so it's not really a surprise that iOS5 ran slowly since it shipped with iPhone OS 3. That's like running BB7 on a BB5 devices.

From a processor viewpoint a 9900 could probably handle QNX, just a lot less snappy. What it lacks, though, is the swiping bezel and a decent sized screen for the full touch OS. BB10 is going to be similar to PlayBook 2.0 and there's no way to compress all of that onto the ridiculously small 9900 screen.
    04-13-12 11:10 PM
    One of the reasons I didn't get an iphone and got a BB instead. I got turned off with apple since buying an ipad gen1 in dec 2010. 64gb wifi w/3g... For 749...never used the 3g. Since ios 5, performance has been pretty bad... In a little over a year, they've released 2 new ipads... As much as I want to criticize RIM for possibly not doing anything for bbos7 phones when bb10 comes out, apple and probably android are just as bad if not worse.

That said, QNX I think is quite the platform and I wouldn't be surprised if it offers RIM the opportunity to cater to single core and dual-core devices. It seems to offer tons of flexibility ... Some features make sense for the playbook, not so much so for a qwerty phone. I think this where the power and flexibilty of QNX will shine and set bb10 and RIM apart from the competition.

It seems the next big frontier is html5, infotainment systems and QNX and RIM look like they are in a good position.

I digress a little, but imho, I think success in that industry will offset the short term challenges with the bb platform.

I can picture it now... Bridging your BB device with your car infotainment system. Forget bluetooth pairing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapathumbs
    04-14-12 07:38 AM
    That said, QNX I think is quite the platform and I wouldn't be surprised if it offers RIM the opportunity to cater to single core and dual-core devices. It seems to offer tons of flexibility ... Some features make sense for the playbook, not so much so for a qwerty phone. I think this where the power and flexibilty of QNX will shine and set bb10 and RIM apart from the competition.

It seems the next big frontier is html5, infotainment systems and QNX and RIM look like they are in a good position.
    I never cease to be surprised by the mountains of praise people from CB heap upon QNX despite having absolutely no understanding of what it is or any of the technology involved. Here's the deal folks: QNX was a big deal for RIM, because it's their first real kernel - POSIX compliant, etc Prior to QNX what they had was some custom garbage.

However, industry wise, technology wise, and in comparison to the Linux kernel at the heart of Android, or the XNU kernel at the heart of iOS, QNX is Just Another Kernel with very little that is interesting, unique, or has not been done elsewhere.

Also, an Operating System is more than just a kernel. A kernel sits at the lowest level and there is typically going to be at least a few software layers sitting on top of it. While a good kernel can provide a solid foundation, almost every major kernel today (WinNT, Linux, BSD, QNX) is rock-solid, and it is the layers on top that almost exclusively define what the end-user experience will be like.

TL;DR: QNX is just another kernel. Get over it, or at least educate yourself.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    04-14-12 07:55 AM
    Thanks for the lesson. I found this post much more useful though, than ur rant. ;-)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-wars-693040/

But I will admit that most of this is over my head, I'm a web developer, not a computer engineer.

04-14-12 08:13 AM
    Fully agree, BBOS 7.1 runs great on 1.2 Ghz single core processor with great battery life. My friend's HTC Amaze requires charging after 5 hours of use with its dual-core 1.5 Ghz processor due to no battery saving programming built into Android 2.3.4.

Yes, QNX requires dual-core processor to run. My understanding, QNX RTOS was not built to run efficiently on mobile devices thus PB rather large battery for 7" device. RIM is waiting for more battery efficient processor for BBOS 10 due to probably if released now, battery life would probably also be about 5 hours or less.

Battery technology has not kept up with advances in mobile cpus, dual-core or quad-core will always consume more battery than single-core. My 9860 and Radar run great with their respective OSes on single-core and great battery life.

While a version of BB10 could feasibly run on a single-core, the limiter is really the RAM and storage space. My guess is that BB10 will be bigger and more resource-intensive than the PB, and that doesn't lead to much of a chance even for my Torch 9850. I think making a stripped down version would be a waste of time.
    04-14-12 08:46 AM
    It is not relevant to compare battery life of full screen HTC amaze with your BB, given that the largest single contributor to battery life is the user.. and a user will use and play and surf and game far more on a full screen android than a small screen BB.. a fact of life... I also have a Galaxy Note.. and for what it does, it has great battery life if i dont use it.. unfortunately, a big screen watching movies or playing games with a PS3 controller does not contribute to great battery life..

Where your post does have merit, would be if you compared pears to pears (as i have discovered) that the battery life of the 9930 with os7.1 is about the same (perhaps 20% less) than my 9330 running os4.6 yet i am consuming more data, and browsing web more (because it is not agonizingly painful to do so).. and all of this is due to a smaller geometry semiconductors with less power consumption trading off against the higher processing needs of the newer phone.

I am sure RIM is planning on making their first BB10 processor choice last across two or three devices however none of this discussion will ever prevent the massive rash of threads complaining about poor battery performance... and users blaming RIM for their personal choices of app selection, setup and usage that negatively affect battery life.

Fully agree, BBOS 7.1 runs great on 1.2 Ghz single core processor with great battery life. My friend's HTC Amaze requires charging after 5 hours of use with its dual-core 1.5 Ghz processor due to no battery saving programming built into Android 2.3.4.

Yes, QNX requires dual-core processor to run. My understanding, QNX RTOS was not built to run efficiently on mobile devices thus PB rather large battery for 7" device. RIM is waiting for more battery efficient processor for BBOS 10 due to probably if released now, battery life would probably also be about 5 hours or less.

Battery technology has not kept up with advances in mobile cpus, dual-core or quad-core will always consume more battery than single-core. My 9860 and Radar run great with their respective OSes on single-core and great battery life.
    04-14-12 09:02 AM
    I don't think that this is possible.

It was said multiple times in the past that the new OS that is being developed requires dual cores. No existing RIM phone has dual cores. Plus, there are screen resolution issues that would make this complicated.

If some solution could be found to make this work, it would be a good thing because it would enlarge the universe of devices that could buy Apps.

I could understand if this is being worked on.
    04-14-12 09:35 AM
    It's interesting that different manufacturers utilize different battery configurations for devices with rather similar hardware.

Acer Iconia A100 7" battery 1530mah
    Samsung Galaxy 7" battery 4000mah
    PlayBook battery 5400mah

Similar voltage in 3.7v to 3.8v range.

All of these tablets are designed with the average usage in mind for music, video, browsing and apps. I believe the above devices battery life will be in the same range.
    04-14-12 09:39 AM
    Isn't qnx used in industrial applications?if so,why isn't that being factored into rim stock price?
    04-14-12 01:21 PM

Also keep In mind HTC has notoriously in the past been known for sticking obnoixiously small batteries in their devices. That and the fact HTC sense uses alot of resources. Combined all that with a user who uses their device for 5 hours straight and you got yourself a dead phone. My galaxy note on the other hand seems to last the length of the day regardless of how heavy I use it. So the battery drain of his device is not caused by the OS per se.

Sent via tapatalk using the Samsung Galaxy Note
    04-14-12 07:07 PM
    It my opinion that if rim doesn't come out with a bold like BB 10 device they will lose a lot of customers. I love my keyboard and with BB 10 it would probably be a totally new experience.
    This will be Rims last chance to be a major player in the smart phone market I just hope they don't screw it up!

04-14-12 07:27 PM
    I tweeted alec saunders and he said no, no older devices can carry bb10 because of memory so your friend might be telling the truth but I doubt it
    04-14-12 07:45 PM
    To summarize some other posts, it is highly unlikely (make that impossible) that BB10 will ever run on any existing BB phones.

Heck, my wife got a Torch 9800 with OS6 and will never be able to run OS7 which is on my Torch 9810. Our phones look identical, and came out only a half year apart.

QNX/BB10 is a huge step forward, both memory (as someone mentioned) and processor demanding. RIM has to package this in a device which is much smaller than a playbook, have a smaller battery, lighter and last a full day on a charge!

That is an engineering challenge I hope they can bring to life and look forward to the day we see BB10 phones which should be awesome!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    04-14-12 08:03 PM
    So don't get the hooker(iphone),save yourself for marriage(BB10).
    04-14-12 08:34 PM
    No.
    10Char.
    This tells me there may be some truth to this rumor.
    04-14-12 08:59 PM
    To summarize some other posts, it is highly unlikely (make that impossible) that BB10 will ever run on any existing BB phones.

Heck, my wife got a Torch 9800 with OS6 and will never be able to run OS7 which is on my Torch 9810. Our phones look identical, and came out only a half year apart.

QNX/BB10 is a huge step forward, both memory (as someone mentioned) and processor demanding. RIM has to package this in a device which is much smaller than a playbook, have a smaller battery, lighter and last a full day on a charge!

That is an engineering challenge I hope they can bring to life and look forward to the day we see BB10 phones which should be awesome!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    What no one has mentioned is that QNX has been around over 20 years and originally ran on a single core 10MHz Intel processor. I'm sure BB OS 10 can be optimized to run on some of the latest models, maybe even including the 9800. If they are able to pull that off,. RIM will end up in a far better position to push for users to upgrade to the higher end bb10 phones after they get a taste for the OS and want the added speed of the newer hardware.
    04-14-12 11:41 PM
    if it's true that BB10 can run on the old diverses rim will keep a lost of his customers including me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 01:06 AM
    Thanks for the lesson. I found this post much more useful though, than ur rant. ;-)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-wars-693040/

But I will admit that most of this is over my head, I'm a web developer, not a computer engineer.

There is very little in that thread that is interesting (it is mostly the history of QNX) or disputes anything I have said.

I am a computer systems engineer and have worked with embedded RTOSs before and have a good working knowledge of QNX.
    04-15-12 07:55 AM
    What no one has mentioned is that QNX has been around over 20 years and originally ran on a single core 10MHz Intel processor. I'm sure BB OS 10 can be optimized to run on some of the latest models, maybe even including the 9800. If they are able to pull that off,. RIM will end up in a far better position to push for users to upgrade to the higher end bb10 phones after they get a taste for the OS and want the added speed of the newer hardware.
    Repeat after me: QNX is just a kernel.

While QNX can and has run on a variety of hardware architectures over the year, that is just talking about the kernel ONLY.

The PlayBook OS/BB10 (ie. the kernel + ALL THE SOFTWARE LAYERS ON TOP) has completely different hardware requirements from QNX Neutrino, the kernel. For reference, see how much of your 1GB memory is being consumed right after boot-up of your PlayBook - it is not an insignificant number.

Why you won't see BB10 on older harware stops and ends with memory. There simply isn't enough on older devices. This is the single and likely only real deciding factor.
    Last edited by WinningWithLogic; 04-15-12 at 08:02 AM.
    04-15-12 07:59 AM
123 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD