There is a rumour that i have a date with Kim Beckinsale..

sadly, I report there is as much merit to this rumour as to the "rumor" in this thread
    04-12-12 09:32 AM
    There is a rumour that i have a date with Kim Beckinsale..

sadly, I report there is as much merit to this rumour as to the "rumor" in this thread
    Kim Beckinsale? Ok, that leaves Kate for me then.

Also, I don't think I would touch BB10 on single core devices. I'd rather take the new OS with newer hardware.
    Rickroller likes this.
    04-12-12 09:39 AM
    @trsbbs The OS works fine. The browser is like a desktop browser. When I open 4 tabs in the browser it is using up 280MB about 70MB less than Chrome.

I think the OS would really needs is better written apps. Games run awesome, its able to run Android, the browser is more efficient than Chrome (from what I see) and its still fairly new things may not be as optimized as they could be for Tablet application.

A moon rover doesn't need the overhead to run the UI etc. In that application the OS does the work more like a server relaying the info from the sensors or Human and does something. Few resources needed for that. The reason QNX is reliable is its ability to restart a crashed server without restarting the whole OS - keeping everything else operating. If I were to guess these browser crashes is due to memory leaks and because the OS is a Hard Realtime OS instead of soft, the browser gets taken out when resources get too low. So it is probably working just have to work with it better.
    04-12-12 10:00 AM
    If a lot of people at RIM are working on backward compatibility of BB10, my thought is that it's time to get rid of these people, it's a waste of time. They should have better things to do.

But if it's only your buddy, then I guess it's not that bad.

Personally I would want a new phone with BB10, one with a front camera. So incentive for me to stick with my old phone.
    04-12-12 10:19 AM
    My friend told me that smoking crack actually creates more and powerful brain cells.
    Your friend obviously subscribes to the Cliff Clavin school of evolutionary intelligence:

04-12-12 10:31 AM
    I wish that were true. Ill look forward to it if it is and be hopeful, but not hold my breath.

Bold 9900
    04-12-12 10:38 AM
    The reality of this thread is that NO ONE posting in it has any clue as to whether is possible or not.

Because Rim said it wouldn't run on it and wouldn't be released doesn't it make is so. They can back track after the launch. THe OP buddy has it working on os 7 device. Could easily be the truth as it could be a lie. I don't see the harm in posting what he knows. Personally i like hearing about it.

As for the bezel gestures on the qwerty phone or torch 98XX phones i think you fail to realize that you don't need a physical bezel in order for it to work. You need a defined area of the screen that is the bezel...

This also assume that BB10 will use bezel gestures and bb10 phones will have bezels outside the screen area like the Playbook/ To my knowledge no one has seen it in its production form.

Just because YOU think it's impossible for bb10 to be on the phone doesn't make you any more right then the person that Thinks its totally possible.
    04-12-12 11:38 AM
    @trsbbs The OS works fine. The browser is like a desktop browser. When I open 4 tabs in the browser it is using up 280MB about 70MB less than Chrome.

I think the OS would really needs is better written apps. Games run awesome, its able to run Android, the browser is more efficient than Chrome (from what I see) and its still fairly new things may not be as optimized as they could be for Tablet application.

A moon rover doesn't need the overhead to run the UI etc. In that application the OS does the work more like a server relaying the info from the sensors or Human and does something. Few resources needed for that. The reason QNX is reliable is its ability to restart a crashed server without restarting the whole OS - keeping everything else operating. If I were to guess these browser crashes is due to memory leaks and because the OS is a Hard Realtime OS instead of soft, the browser gets taken out when resources get too low. So it is probably working just have to work with it better.
    You need to read some of the issue the OS is having and that RIM is issueing bug fixes.

The browser snaps shut when useing Flash, the Droid player does not work well with
    QNX, shall I go on.

The brower is now where near the stabilty and feature of IE. You cant even edit or change the bookmarks. Come on, get real.

Please look before you leap.

Tim
    04-12-12 11:38 AM
    As another side thought, its possible the Blackberry 10 for older phones could strip the android player out completely.. Assuming the bb10 Launches with native apps or dev support the android player becomes less of a must have.

The PB broswer does crash from time to time. Its annoying for sure. But i'm hoping these bugs are being resolved.. According to asaunders, they have been testing the latest bug fixes against know sites that were crashing it.
    04-12-12 12:11 PM
    There is a difference between bugs, performance, and features.

I don't need to read much about something I have deal with them everyday.

Do you know how to read? If you do read my post again...the point of a Hard realtime OS is zero tolerance. I am willing to bet that has something to do with the crashing.

Who said anything about IE anyway??? Sorry you couldn't understand
    04-12-12 12:12 PM
    The reality of this thread is that NO ONE posting in it has any clue as to whether is possible or not.

Because Rim said it wouldn't run on it and wouldn't be released doesn't it make is so. They can back track after the launch. THe OP buddy has it working on os 7 device. Could easily be the truth as it could be a lie. I don't see the harm in posting what he knows. Personally i like hearing about it.

As for the bezel gestures on the qwerty phone or torch 98XX phones i think you fail to realize that you don't need a physical bezel in order for it to work. You need a defined area of the screen that is the bezel...

This also assume that BB10 will use bezel gestures and bb10 phones will have bezels outside the screen area like the Playbook/ To my knowledge no one has seen it in its production form.

Just because YOU think it's impossible for bb10 to be on the phone doesn't make you any more right then the person that Thinks its totally possible.
    From one of the "clueless ones".

My statement is simply what RIM has said in the past. I agree, they are clueless.

Tim
    04-12-12 01:13 PM
    There is a difference between bugs, performance, and features.

I don't need to read much about something I have deal with them everyday.

Do you know how to read? If you do read my post again...the point of a Hard realtime OS is zero tolerance. I am willing to bet that has something to do with the crashing.

Who said anything about IE anyway??? Sorry you couldn't understand
    Who are you talking to since it seems you could not find the qoute key.
    I will assume (which I do not like to do) that it is me.

I do know how to read. I read you line of #&$%$ rather well.
    We do you feel you have to insult me? Is your position that weak?

You said " If you do read my post again...the point of a Hard realtime OS is zero tolerance. I am willing to bet that has something to do with the crashing."

But the OS must know how to handle it and recover without locking up or snapping shut.The browser is not an application like the others. It's a core program.

Also you said "The browser is like a desktop browser" The last I looked IE was one!

Your telling me that is is easier to produce an OS that works a rover from thousands of miles away, through radiation, transmission delays/lag etc. then it is to make an OS for a simple tablet? Ask the folks a NASA or JPL about that to be sure.

You said "I don't need to read much about something I have deal with them everyday."
    Strange, I have to read updates etc. to keep current with our software and systems. Don't you? It's called keeping up to date and current. Perhaps it would be a good time to start.

Someone needs to take a chill pill and not feel so threatened.

Gessh..

Tim
    04-12-12 01:28 PM
    From one of the "clueless ones".

My statement is simply what RIM has said in the past. I agree, they are clueless.

Tim
    LOL.

I have no clue if it will work or not.

But It was a general reply. Not a reply to you or any one user.

Just saying.
    04-12-12 03:52 PM
    I was told by my friend that not only can men give women babies in their bellies,men can carry the babies to term. .the how is yet to be solved.
    04-12-12 07:55 PM
    What if rim is using the shell of an older device but with different hardware to run bb10 as a development tool?

I can see how the ops friend could be confused about older devices running bb10.
    04-12-12 08:00 PM
    What if rim is using the shell of an older device but with different hardware to run bb10 as a development tool?

I can see how the ops friend could be confused about older devices running bb10.
    I wouldn't put it past them to test it on older and coming up newer hardware. If I do get bb10 on my bold, I'll be dumbfunded and awesomeized.
    04-12-12 11:06 PM
    Although I agree that most likely older devices won't be able to run BB10, how about a Starter edition, similar to how there's a Windows 7 Starter edition on netbooks, BB10 starter for older devices, optimized to suit. Just a thought.
    04-12-12 11:55 PM
    Technically of course it would be possible to run some kind of QNX OS on BlackBerry 7 devices.

But there are plenty of reasons why it wouldn't happen:

*RIM likes to sell the new phones
    *Video Chat
    *Hardware isn't designed for BB10
    *In the API you can find many sensors that are not available on BB7 devices
    *It needs a lot of work
    *BB10 will need high res screens
    *BB10 works best with multi-core CPUS and GPUS
    *The Update/Upgrade Process
    *BB7 apps don't run on BB10

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/...or_type_t.html
    04-13-12 04:03 AM
    I see many have misunderstood me.

Just to make it clear, my friend is an engineer at RIM, and he is doing this small project on his own time, he says he tested the 9900 with the OS10, and it works.

So to those who don't wanna believe it, you don't have to, but its a matter of fact, the QNX is very flexible and he is working on a way to have it run on other Blackberries too, but so far he wasn't successful.

One thing i do want to note: when using the tweaked OS10 on his 9900, it is a little slower then the OS7, but he is trying to have this problem fixed.

When the OS10 will be released, he promised to give me the permission to upload the hacked and tweaked OS for the 9900 here on CrackBerry, and for those who want a faster BlackBerry yes you should buy the BB10.

So believe it or not this is not just a Fairy Tale, its just not done yet.
    The OP's information is feasible, but we'll likely never know. Let me throw out a couple of reasons why I think this is the case:
    1. OS 10 will most likely not be ported to old phones for marketing (and not technical) reasons. It's hard to sell new phones when you can put a shiny new OS on the old ones;
    2. QNX RTOS (Real Time Operating System) has been around for over 20 years and is found in embedded control systems including HVAC systems for buildings as well as car dashboards and other devices with very modest hardware (RAM, CPU, and mass storage). Saying that it can't run on a BlackBerry with a 1.2 GHz processor, 768 MB of RAM and several GBs of internal storage is plain wrong.
    3. QNX runs on a variety of different processors/platforms architectures. This is one of its strengths.
    4. QNX's OS kernel has a very small (and secure!) footprint.

Thus, we will probably never know definitively whether RIM even *thought* about porting QNX over to the older crop of smart phones but frankly I don't care. I'm quite happy with OS 7.1 on my 2 BBs (a Torch 9810 and a Bold 9900) and OS10 makes for another reason to look forward to the new phones.

All of this is speculation on my part of course! Go to QNX's website QNX Realtime Operating System (RTOS) software, middleware, development tools and services for superior embedded design and check it out.
    04-13-12 05:55 AM
    My friend, who is an engineer at RIM, told me not to buy a BB phone now if I want BB10.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions from this statement.
    04-13-12 06:16 AM
    Is this horse not dead yet?....

I dont know what part of "no way" some folks dont get
    04-13-12 07:10 AM
    My friend, who is an engineer at RIM, told me not to buy a BB phone now if I want BB10.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions from this statement.
    I doubt you should be fed that advice. Go out and get an OS 7 device. You'll be more than glad you did!
    04-13-12 07:12 AM
    Is this horse not dead yet?....

I dont know what part of "no way" some folks dont get
    I know right? No means no.
    04-13-12 07:13 AM
    My friend told me that smoking crack actually creates more and powerful brain cells.
    I will give this a shot! LOL
    04-13-12 07:52 AM

After all, this is a rumor forum...
    But people shouldn't start their own rumors. If the OP named a specific device, it would have been worthy of discussion - otherwise not so much.
    04-13-12 11:36 AM
123 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD