I see many have misunderstood me.

Just to make it clear, my friend is an engineer at RIM, and he is doing this small project on his own time, he says he tested the 9900 with the OS10, and it works.

So to those who don't wanna believe it, you don't have to, but its a matter of fact, the QNX is very flexible and he is working on a way to have it run on other Blackberries too, but so far he wasn't successful.

One thing i do want to note: when using the tweaked OS10 on his 9900, it is a little slower then the OS7, but he is trying to have this problem fixed.

When the OS10 will be released, he promised to give me the permission to upload the hacked and tweaked OS for the 9900 here on CrackBerry, and for those who want a faster BlackBerry yes you should buy the BB10.

So believe it or not this is not just a Fairy Tale, its just not done yet.
    04-11-12 08:41 PM
    9900 hardware is no slouch. Basically same processor as the Lumia 900 that just came out, Lumia is just clocked slightly higher. Also QNX will run on single core, but TabletOS requires dual core, at least according to RIM. Would be interesting to see BB10 on a 9900. Lets give the messenger a chance to deliver before we shoot him.
    NightSlayer likes this.
    04-11-12 08:52 PM
    QNX is about 30 years old and it was running in some form on older technology. It doesn't absolutely need more than one core

It might be do-able. Something only for the labs at RIM. OS7 is most likely the best for current phones
    04-11-12 08:55 PM
    QNX is about 30 years old and it was running in some form on older technology. It doesn't absolutely need more than one core

It might be do-able. Something only for the labs at RIM. OS7 is most likely the best for current phones
    This makes NO sense in the context of the discussion, but I'm fairly positive you know that.

Soon someone will say something about dual core vs single core nuclear substations.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-11-12 09:02 PM

But would be awesome, but we won't know for sure until the time comes.
    04-11-12 09:09 PM
    I can bet your friend is a regular RIM rep I know way more than any RIM rep
    I ever met.
    I think more realistically this is what will happen.
    OS7 devices will run OS8 which will have some minor features of OS10
    I don't know why you keep bringing up a mythical OS 8 all the time. There's no evidence of it out there whatsoever. RIM has never done anything like that in the past and they aren't going to continue to work on the past generation while they're selling their future generation.

The BB7 devices are just as EOL'd as all the OS6 devices and most of the OS5 devices before it.
    04-11-12 09:28 PM
    this is not even a fairy tale. The BB10 will be gesture based like the PB, which means bezel swipe and I don't think any of the current BB7 devices have "sensitive bezels"....so your friend is smoking something or maybe you are and imagining a friend...lol
    04-11-12 09:30 PM
    This makes NO sense in the context of the discussion, but I'm fairly positive you know that.

Soon someone will say something about dual core vs single core nuclear substations.

Mobile post via Tapatalk

You make casual sense...as usual

QNX has been around for a while and it's lived through many technology generations. I'm saying QNX on current OS7 phone hardware probably could technically work
    04-11-12 09:40 PM
    While a version of BB10 could feasibly run on a single-core, the limiter is really the RAM and storage space. My guess is that BB10 will be bigger and more resource-intensive than the PB, and that doesn't lead to much of a chance even for my Torch 9850.
    Right, and it sure would be a battery hogger!
    04-11-12 09:50 PM
    Making OS7 devices OS10 upgradeable would push RIM further into abyss. They have to make the OS10 successful and sell new hardwares to make money.

BTW, I would be more interested in RIM spending more time to improve upon the existing OS. That would be a better risk hedge rather than flipping and flopping on OS10, which may or may not be a great OS (with great hardwares to go). if RIM is going to go head on with likes of Apple and Google on full touch screen devices, which in my opinion are all approaching some kind of plateau in terms of innovation, risk of failure is much larger than the probability of success for the OS10. But that does not assume that RIM might be "leapfrogging" the competition in terms of surprising innovation.
    You never know but.....
    04-11-12 10:02 PM
    this is not even a fairy tale. The BB10 will be gesture based like the PB, which means bezel swipe and I don't think any of the current BB7 devices have "sensitive bezels"....so your friend is smoking something or maybe you are and imagining a friend...lol
    My Torch 9850 with OS 7.1 already has bezel swipe. Really.

When I use the remote control function to control my PlayBook, there is a black bezel on the perimeter of the screen the performs the bezel swipes just fine. No reason that kind of functionality cannot be incorporated into an upgrade to existing devices to run OS10.

So it's not a fairy tale. And thank you for no longer disparaging individuals in your posts.
    04-11-12 10:39 PM
    I would be to RIMs benefit to actually provide an upgrade to current hardware. Bold 9900 isnt all that behind from the competition in terms of raw cpu numbers. Also since OS 7 and flagship 9900 were just released back in August, most people who upgraded to the new bold arent even upgradeable until their next upgrade which would be around Jan 2013. So I think this makes sense in terms of providing a basic not full blown B10 experience.
    04-11-12 10:55 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Rickroller likes this.
    04-11-12 10:57 PM
    the PB struggles with 1 GB of RAM
    What? You must have a defective device if you have one. Struggles? seriously?

I agree with OP, even if its not on OS7 devices, it'll be on my current playbook.

If its true and RIM does make OS7 devices BB10 compatible that would be amazing, cause thats an easy way to onboard a lot of people onto the BB10 platform. If I was a developer I'd be paying attention to this.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    04-11-12 11:28 PM
    guys the OS6 runs pretty decent on some BB Bold models.. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to run QNX on a 1.2ghz single core considering single cores are efficient and not obsolete.. sure it's gonna run faster on a dual core.. but if you don't push your bb to the limits.. i think qnx would be working just fine..
    04-12-12 01:52 AM

Yes but QNX is just the kernel. The playbook tablet OS and BB10 are much more. It is clear from the playbook rims OS needs plenty of resources.
    04-12-12 02:01 AM
    I may think that, somehow, OS7 could receive an UI upgrade, therefore loyal users won't fell "early obsolescence" of their devices. But for the whole OS ... IMHO, it's a pure no.
    04-12-12 02:08 AM
    I really like OS7.1 to be honest. I like OS2 on my PlayBook, but I don't see RIM's BlackBerry OS as "dated" or "antiquated" like everyone else.

It might seem "old" to some, because in a sense, it IS. OS4 and OS5 were around before Android and iOS got big. I'd bet that most users wouldn't think OS7 is "outdated" if the phones could run Netflix, Draw Something, and Words With Friends. Seriously. I've never met someone who said "I hate my BlackBerry because OS6 is so bad, and the UI is terrible." they hate the "spinny clock," battery pulls, and how they can't watch Netflix on their tiny little screens!

I'm excited for OS10 just like everyone else is. But I'm actually not even dreading the long wait with my Torch9810 and Bold 9900, because even though I've had them for a while, they're still great phones. I'm not going to wake up tomorrow and say "God, I'm gonna go buy an iphone because I just need to be able to watch HBO Go and would love to change the way I've been using a keyboard for 5 years!"
    04-12-12 02:19 AM
    Yes but QNX is just the kernel. The playbook tablet OS and BB10 are much more. It is clear from the playbook rims OS needs plenty of resources.
    LOL. You are one patient, patient man.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-12-12 05:24 AM
    Would be perfect.
    But no
    04-12-12 05:58 AM
    How much RAM does a 99xx have?
    04-12-12 06:32 AM
    RIM has done these sort of concepts before. The BlackBerry 88xx series was actually tested with OS 5. It was a horribly hacked version that barely ran and thus never saw the light of day. While the 9900 hardware is likely capable of the same thing, this also wont ever see the light of day. And as soon as your friend's "hacked" OS gets uploaded, s/he gets fired. Without explicit permission from RIM they are actually violating not only their NDA, but likely any sort of job description they have.

100% chance this never comes to fruition, and that the title should be changed to "fairy tale"
    04-12-12 06:32 AM
    There are devices out there that will run BB10:

PlayBook WIFI
    PlayBook 3G
    PlayBook 4G
    04-12-12 06:39 AM
    I'm not convinced the bezel swipes will work on the phones... I mean, it'll require at least 1/4 to 1/2 in of realestate all around I would think..screens are small enough. Of course, a full touch 4inch screen might work, but if/when they release a model with qqwerty kb and smaller screen, might be more annoying than anything. I can just see it now, scrolling a web page, and constantly closing the browser, or swiping across to another application.

I dunno, from what I've read about QNX, yes it's been around for a long time (which is a +)... it can fit on a floppy, runs in 20million+ cars in infotainment systems etc... and designed to be very customizable... where developers can turn off features and enable others etc... I think it's an ideal platform for phones... and i'd be surprised it couldn't run on a 1.2 ghz processor with 768MB ram.

Some say it's not worth the money.. I disagree... I just bought my 9900 in december last year... on a 3 year contract... I surely won't be breaking the contract to get into a new bb10 phone, and I don't expect I could even sell it honestly... imagine how many bold 9900 will be on kijiji ;-). There are tons now, and they don't seem to be selling very quickly.

If RIM however did release BB10 for the 9900.. but say, for an upgrade fee of $50..$75 or even $100... I'd do it. Assuming of course it was a much better OS than bbos7.
    04-12-12 07:08 AM
    guys the OS6 runs pretty decent on some BB Bold models.. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to run QNX on a 1.2ghz single core considering single cores are efficient and not obsolete.. sure it's gonna run faster on a dual core.. but if you don't push your bb to the limits.. i think qnx would be working just fine..
    It's not about the speed. It's about how the OS uses the dual cores for different operations. This is what allows the video and OS to work smoothly.

They would have to do much rewritting and testing to get it to work.
    They would also probably have to strip out some of its functions to get it to work.

So it's not even close to be something they can do easily. Just checkout the bugs within the OS right now and it is running on a dual core. Imagine how long it would take RIM to take the current "very buggy and missing features" version, hack the h311 out of it and make it work on one less core.

I am for it, but seeing that RIM has had two years to get the current OS to where it is I am hesitant they will come up with another version.

Folks say 2 years is not enough time to write a new OS. QNX is not new and has been around for years. Getting it working on the PB seems to be harder than getting it
    it to work on a moon rover. Think about it.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 04-12-12 at 11:36 AM.
    04-12-12 08:23 AM
123 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD