My friend is working in the development team at RIM, he says that they are trying to have all old Blackberry devices running with OS10, but some wont work because they have a weak hardware.

I think this is great news!
    04-11-12 05:57 PM
    "My friend" isn't a good enough source. I hope this is true.
    04-11-12 06:01 PM
    That's funny.

It's a very clear line that divides old and new here: any current handheld will NOT run BB10. Period.

QNX/BB10 runs on a completely different architecture from the current BB OS7 phones.

The only currently-available hardware that will be upgradeable is the Playbook.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    04-11-12 06:02 PM
    i should change "rumor" to "fairy tale" in the title i think
    04-11-12 06:04 PM
    No.
    10Char.
    04-11-12 06:17 PM
    Unless they make two versions BB10 for OS7 phones and the next gen phones... there are two chances of this happening.... Slim to none..... and Slim's out of town.....
    04-11-12 06:17 PM
    i should change "rumor" to "fairy tale" in the title i think
    Really? How many BB10 devices have you operated? We have all heard that BB10 would not run on older phones, but are you sure there is no way they could run a version? How can you be certain when you have not seen a single new phone or actual BB10 OS operating.

RIM seemed to be able to get a pretty good Android player operating on PB, and running BB10 (maybe less features) would be attractive as an option for less advanced devices.

After all, this is a rumor forum...
    Last edited by Brianflys; 04-11-12 at 06:26 PM.
    04-11-12 06:22 PM
    My friend told me that smoking crack actually creates more and powerful brain cells.
    gschep, gorang and kozmo68 like this.
    04-11-12 06:28 PM
    Does your friend strangely resemble a stuffed toy
    Kandoo-BB likes this.
    04-11-12 06:41 PM
    Really? How many BB10 devices have you operated? We have all heard that BB10 would not run on older phones, but are you sure there is no way they could run a version? How can you be certain when you have not seen a single new phone or actual BB10 OS operating.

RIM seemed to be able to get a pretty good Android player operating on PB, and running BB10 (maybe less features) would be attractive as an option for less advanced devices.

OS 6, the biggest "change" we've seen from RIM in a smartphone OS in years, couldn't run on the vast majority of existing devices, including recently released models, due to hardware limitations--this is despite the fact we had all these high hopes (based on RIM "rumors") that we'd be downloading updates to our older (or in some cases, brand new) phones.

The current OS 7, anoother evolutionary step, is backward compatible with exactly nothing.

And so your friend thinks BBX, which is completely different, will be?? Yeah...I bet that Curve 8520 that Virgin Mobile is still selling (and that is still rocking OS 5) will get a BB10 upgrade right way...
    Last edited by ChrisInSD; 04-11-12 at 06:51 PM.
    SK122387 likes this.
    04-11-12 06:48 PM
    We've been told that QNX requires a dual core (like the Playbook). Even if they do get it to run on the 99x0, would you really want to?
    04-11-12 07:01 PM
    I don't think it's great news! Imagine how much slower the phone would run.
    That clock was really annoying on the older phone with the old OS what makes you think something as beautiful and advanced as QNX/BB10 will be able to run on 600/800mHz???
    jkomo001 likes this.
    04-11-12 07:06 PM

Again, No.
    04-11-12 07:10 PM
    Again, No.
    Are you sure????
    04-11-12 07:15 PM
    You and others can hope as will I but I think they will have some form of BB10. However they are like most companies and want to sell phones. With that being said I think BB10 will require the purchase of a BB10 phone.
    webcrawler likes this.
    04-11-12 07:16 PM

What is not believable about it is that at this point a "resource-constrained-RIM" would not be dedicating smart engineers to something like this. That is not to say somewhere in RIM there are not some engineers simply doing this on their own time for the heck of it. But even then I can not see RIM pushing this out and having to support all the problems that would arise as users try and shoehorn BB10 on to old devices. So it could even be true that some folks inside RIM are tinkering with this and also that it will never see the light of day as official software.

In fact the "rumor" could have something to do with the prototype BB10 devices that are to be handed out to devs at the upcoming BlackBerry World. I can see where the hardware for those devices would probably be some current (modified) OS7 hardware.
    Last edited by southlander; 04-11-12 at 07:23 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-11-12 07:20 PM
    I say never say never. Anything is possible. QNX is pretty flexible and can run on many different platforms and cpus.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNX

I wouldn't put it past rim, they aquired qnx in april 2010 and a year later had developed an OS for the PB.

If there is any chance an os7 phone can be upgraded to a flavor of bbos10, it'd be the 9900 with its 1.2 ghz processor.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-11-12 07:22 PM
    I'm sure this will raise eyebrows but I actually like OS 7.1 on my 9900. It runs great and I have all the apps I look for on a phone...so I'm not particularly interested in bogging it down with a watered down version of my playbook OS.
    04-11-12 07:31 PM
    While a version of BB10 could feasibly run on a single-core, the limiter is really the RAM and storage space. My guess is that BB10 will be bigger and more resource-intensive than the PB, and that doesn't lead to much of a chance even for my Torch 9850. I think making a stripped down version would be a waste of time.
    04-11-12 07:35 PM
    As wonderful as that may sound, from a marketing stand point, it just doesn't make any sense. BB10 is to be like "the second coming" - no offense to those who believe.
    What I'm saying is, why create BB10 to have it run on older devices? There's no money there. Create a new device with a wonderful OS and market it so that the masses want to ditch their current BB and upgrade! It's simple out with the old in with the new.
    04-11-12 07:37 PM
    I'm sure this will raise eyebrows but I actually like OS 7.1 on my 9900. It runs great and I have all the apps I look for on a phone...so I'm not particularly interested in bogging it down with a watered down version of my playbook OS.

Good point.. I was also going to point that out. Honestly, since I got my phone, I haven't been using my PB.

I find bbos7 better in many areas compared to PB os2. I do like the bezel, multitasking and speed of the PB, but I find bbos7 fills a lot of the gaps with convenience features and shortcuts I wished my PB would have. Granted bbos has been around for awhile, but hoping some of its strenghts will move into bb10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapathumbs
    04-11-12 07:37 PM

i never said you cant believe in fairy tales...do what YOU please. Im still putting my money on not happening though

the PB struggles with 1 GB of RAM and OS 7 phones have less than that. What are you going to do, strip even more features from the OS? Instead of the browser closing all the time the phone app will shut down randomly!
    sagec and mca312 like this.
    04-11-12 07:48 PM
    I can bet your friend is a regular RIM rep I know way more than any RIM rep
    I ever met.
    I think more realistically this is what will happen.
    OS7 devices will run OS8 which will have some minor features of OS10
    04-11-12 07:50 PM
    I don't think that's possible... They said that only new devices will get BB10 or maybe RIM is trying to keep more people happy... Who knows
    04-11-12 07:54 PM
    i never said you cant believe in fairy tales...do what YOU please. Im still putting my money on not happening though

the PB struggles with 1 GB of RAM and OS 7 phones have less than that. What are you going to do, strip even more features from the OS? Instead of the browser closing all the time the phone app will shut down randomly!
    I don't see it ending up on the OS 7 devices...that being said, the OS is one year old, I'm sure it will continue to be improved upon as it has all year. Did you ever own a G1? I did...it dreamed of being as smooth as the playbook version one let alone two in its first year.
    04-11-12 08:06 PM
123 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD