I had a meeting with a RIM rep today who flew in from Waterloo and he gave me some info on the QNX phone that they're working on.

4.2" screen (wasn't sure, it might have been 4.3")
    1280x720 HD screen
    Dual Core 1.5ghz processor

Will attach to the BES via the Playbook administration service that should be launching at DevCon. So it WILL have native BES functionality.

Said that they're shooting for Q1 2012.

Take it for what it's worth.
    10-06-11 08:40 PM
    That sounds like an awesome phone.
    10-07-11 01:14 PM
    Sounds great, why didn't you come out with these long time ago?
    Just kidding! Get back in the game RIM lets go
    10-07-11 02:37 PM
    any word on a full qwerty touch ala the 9900? that would be a phone worth waiting for.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    10-07-11 03:47 PM
    dual core 1.5Ghz? Seems pretty far fetched to me. Dual core 1Ghz sounds more reasonable.
    10-09-11 11:23 AM
    Sounds pretty nice but dont count on first quarter of 2012
    10-09-11 01:22 PM
    I'm assuming that this will be a touch-screen only phone if the screen size is 4.2"

So no physical qwerty keyboard, only a digital one like on the blackberry storm. That is unless they make it a slider like the torch.
    10-10-11 06:55 AM
    I'm assuming that this will be a touch-screen only phone if the screen size is 4.2"

So no physical qwerty keyboard, only a digital one like on the blackberry storm. That is unless they make it a slider like the torch.
    RIM already said the first QNX phones will be high end touch screen only devices.
    10-10-11 08:13 PM
    RIM already said the first QNX phones will be high end touch screen only devices.
    Well in that case I might just be sticking with my 9900 for now. I had both storms and have come to loathe the touchscreen qwerty keyboards. Like the physical ones MUCH better.

Also, I use my blackberry for email and BBM mainly, how good can this new platform really revolutionise those two things?
    10-11-11 02:56 AM
    dual core 1.5Ghz? Seems pretty far fetched to me. Dual core 1Ghz sounds more reasonable.
    Hey, don't blame the messenger!

Like I said, I got the info straight from a TAM so I just wanted to relay the info.
    10-11-11 10:08 PM
    Too bad, that they will be full touch. I won't buy it. I was going to hold out, cause the rumor is that QNX phones will support activesync (my company doesn't have a BES, and won't put it in), but if it's all touch, I wouldn't go to it anyway. So now the question is whether I go with the 9930 and just deal with crappy Outlook functionality again.
    10-12-11 02:35 PM
    Surely the full touch on a QNX HAS to be better then the storm. It may just be the size of the screen, but the touch on the Playbook isn't to bad at all. I tried the storm and like i said, it may be the screen size, but the storm was no where near as responsive as my Playbook.
    10-12-11 04:39 PM
    Sounds like a phone that's exactly what most people on this site have been asking for. Except for the full touch screen. But I love it, the phone sounds kick ***. Though the only dilemma I have right now is if it'll be out by March 2012, cause if it is or will be coming soon then I won't upgrade to the new os7 phones. I'd rather hold out for the qnx phones. I'd hate to invest in a os7 phone and 2 months later the qnx phone gets released. But back to the point the processor seems kickass and it sounds as if google and apple will finally get a run for their money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 09:20 AM
    Is it 4G LTE thats the question? the iPhone4S is still a 3G phone, if RIM shows up next week with a 4G phone, that would put them a head of Apple in the hardware game, for the frist time in a long time. Stocks would jump and people would wake up and take look again.
    10-13-11 09:53 AM
    I wouldn't imagine they would completely get rid of there bread and butter phones with the full qwertys for a all touch screen devices.

q649 likes this.
    10-13-11 10:07 AM
    Yes a decent screen size. Correct! Ff its not 4G then were in for a another disappointment.
    10-13-11 03:05 PM
    So interesting that it seems like there is never one model that really has it all:

Nice keyboard
    Nice screen (touch or not)
    Dual core
    Better Exchange integration
    etc etc

Everything seems to be a compromise. They give you one thing you've been dying for, but take another away. No matter how hard I try, I struggle with virtual keyboards.
    10-13-11 03:19 PM
    yeah please crackberry find out for me!!

I wan't QNX but I dont want full touch. Thats what my playbook is for!!!!!

So will there be a Bold 9900 qnx? If not i'll just settle for a 9900 coming from a 9800.
    10-13-11 11:11 PM
    The 9900 isn't a compromise, it is exactly what most blackberry users have been wanting.

Apart from the weak battery, I am very impressed with the phone, and I don't know how much the qnx platform (or a dual core processor for that matter) will be able to best it so that I will really feel that I need to buy it.

Like I said, I use my BB for email, bbm, browsing and talking, and I don't think that a new platform or a stronger processor will revolutionise any of these things.

Maybe the new phone will prove me wrong, who knows?
    10-15-11 05:22 AM
    If this is a vote, I would vote for Torch slider form factor. It's not like a phone is the thinner the better, I don't need a knife in my pocket
    10-15-11 12:24 PM
    The first ones that come out likely won't have LTE if that's the 4G you're looking for.

PG
    10-15-11 12:46 PM
    Making it a full touch-screen is a good move IMO. I really hate browsing on the BB half-size screens - it just doesn't feel right. That said, the dev team really needs to improve the on-screen keyboard experience. I feel like the iPhone keyboard is hands-down easier and faster to use than any of the on-screen BB ones.
    10-15-11 03:54 PM
    I have been waiting for RIM to wow me to get me to upgrade from my Storm2, which I adore. The newest Torches didn't do it for me. But these QNX phones sound like they will be just the ticket. If only I could convince them to do SurePress on a BBX phone...
    10-15-11 10:43 PM
    Actually it is possible that the QNX early 2012 phone could be LTE, the snapdragon S4 that is now making it's way to manufacturers has an integrated 3g/LTE modem. So it would fit the bill. Would do well for power and battery consumption, but maybe not as dynamic in GPU.

As for keyboard, 9900 has been a success and is well reviewed. RIM needs to put out a great keyboardless phone aimed to consumers etc, to run up against the iphone, android and windows; which are keyboardless. I'm sure a keyboard version will be available around the corner, but I think they will try to make gains into the consumer market first. I myself prefer the keyboardless phone, a slider may come out about the same time.
    Last edited by Huot; 10-16-11 at 01:29 AM.
    10-16-11 01:25 AM
    Specs like these will be everywhere by the time Rim gets to market... Sammy Nexus Prime?

Its more about software and implementation of the software / service. Unfortunately if the PlayBook is anything to go by, RIM will take forever to release a competitive hardware / software package.

10-16-11 04:49 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD