WTF??????

Microsoft strikes deal to acquire Nokia's phone business for $19B, insider claims

According to industry insider Eldar Murtazin, Microsoft has struck a deal to purchase Nokia’s mobile phone business for $19 billion. Just two weeks ago, Murtazin — who has a proven track record and was the first to report that Nokia has struck a deal to use Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform on its smartphones — suggested that Microsoft and Nokia were about to enter closed-door meetings to negotiate a possible purchase that could close sometime before the end of this year. It could make sense: Nokia’s CEO is former Microsoft executive Stephen Elop, and the two companies have already reached a deal to create new Windows Phone devices, a dozen of which are expected to launch next year. We’ll have to see how this pans out, but a Nokia spokesperson had already addressed Murtazin’s earlier claims, saying “Eldar’s rumors are getting obviously less accurate with every passing moment.” Nokia declined to comment on Murtazin’s claim this time around.

Also- I wasn't sure if this should go in another section or not.
    06-01-11 11:04 AM
    Fair enough, its possible but highly unlikely, I dont want them to buy RIM but it would make more since for MS. dose this change anything for RIM. NO. Nokia and MS are in bed together anyway, just using a condom right now.
    the_sleuth and jlb21 like this.
    06-01-11 11:13 AM
    ......Nokia and MS are in bed together anyway, just using a condom right now.
    That is one of the funniest most ROTFLMAO things I have read in a long time!!!!
    06-01-11 11:35 AM
    I'm sure that Microsoft will run the Nokia/WP7 truck right off the cliff.
    06-01-11 01:10 PM
    To be fair nokia has been going off the cliff just fine on their own for a long time.
    valtter likes this.
    06-01-11 01:15 PM
    To be fair nokia has been going off the cliff just fine on their own for a long time.
    How is Nokia doing in terms of sales of dumbphones and feature phones?

The difference between Nokia and RIM/Apple is that Nokia does not only sell smartphones.

If all devices are taken into account, how are Nokia, Motorola, HTC, LG, and Samsung doing in comparision?
    06-01-11 01:26 PM
    I never said Nokia was anything like any of those other companies, so I'm not sure how that's even an issue.

Also the issue is that they will be transitioning support away from symbian (which for all intents and purposes has already happened).

By completely switching platforms you lose all previous customers essentially and have to reobtain them. Worse off they are switching to a platform that is struggling to gain marketshare in the first place.
    06-01-11 01:32 PM
    I guess we won't have to worry about MSFT buying RIM
    06-01-11 01:39 PM
    I never said Nokia was anything like any of those other companies, so I'm not sure how that's even an issue.

Also the issue is that they will be transitioning support away from symbian (which for all intents and purposes has already happened).

By completely switching platforms you lose all previous customers essentially and have to reobtain them. Worse off they are switching to a platform that is struggling to gain marketshare in the first place.
    That makes sense. HTC, Samsung, and LG offer Android, Windows 7, and dumbphones/feature phones. Motorola said no to Windows 7 phones, but offers dumbphones, feature phones, and Android.

So actually, Nokia is different, since they only offer one smartphone platform, which they are abandoning.
    06-01-11 01:50 PM
    Could be good for both. Nok of course has denied the rumor.

I could see this happen only on my bad luck of owning nok shares right after the huge premarket dump to 6.35 and selling them at market open when the short covering took a quick hold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-11 03:50 AM
    nokia need it. They are in worse trouble than RIM at the moment.
    04-13-12 03:58 AM
    BGR rumor! Enough said
    04-13-12 05:01 AM
    BGR rumor! Enough said
    Since the article is 10 months old, I guess we can go ahead and call it an "inaccurate" prediction.
    04-13-12 07:48 AM
    Why did anyone comment on a rumor article almost a year old and say "nokia needed it". And then you get the typical BGR haters not paying attention that it's from last year. Sheesh.
    04-13-12 03:05 PM
    I would say Microsoft WILL eventually buy Nokia. But not until it's almost bankrupt - they will buy it very cheap then. Right now their guy is in charge anyway. They can experiment on it without any risk to themselves and if Nokia fails, buy what remains for cheap. It's very ugly strategy, but nothing new I think in corporation wars. , I worked for a local company that was overtaken in a similar way.
    Last edited by Magnesus; 04-13-12 at 03:37 PM.
    04-13-12 03:35 PM
    Poor RIM, always a bridesmaid.

Fair enough, its possible but highly unlikely, I dont want them to buy RIM but it would make more since for MS. dose this change anything for RIM. NO. Nokia and MS are in bed together anyway, just using a condom right now.
    04-13-12 07:13 PM
    zombie thread resurrection...
    04-13-12 07:14 PM
    04-13-12 07:27 PM
    zombie thread resurrection...
    Better than a new thread, but since it's not related to RIM at all, it should be moved in my opinion.
    04-13-12 07:44 PM
    LOL article/thread from June 2011 - at least is shows how unreliable BGR and its rumours are....
    04-13-12 08:22 PM
    LOL article/thread from June 2011 - at least is shows how unreliable BGR and its rumours are....
    Most rumors are just that, rumors. However, there are many rumors that BGR posted that wound up being true, just not as many as the ones that end up being false though.

It's funny to see so many people buy into rumors and then when they don't happen they are so let down. Especially when it comes to devices.
    04-13-12 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD