Does this kind-of tick anyone else off? (If true)

Three iPad 3 versions with no Home button tipped - SlashGear
    Three variants of the new iPad 3 could be in the pipeline for a March release, according to sources, but only black WiFi models are tipped if you don’t want 3G/4G connectivity. Product codes leaked to 9 to 5 Mac indicate Apple is readying iPad J1, J2 and J2A versions, with the first believed to be the WiFi-only model and the J2 and J2A including different combinations of GSM, CDMA and LTE connectivity. Meanwhile, SlashGear reader Matthew flagged up that, in Apple’s invite graphic, the physical home button looks to be missing from the slate.

Apple has long been rumored to be deleting the physical home key, and replacing it with either a combination of gestures or a touch sensitive bezel. The image Apple used for its invite – with the tagline “We have something you really had to see. And touch” – could be a hint that the iPad 3 doesn’t just have a high-resolution “Retina Display” screen but a new use of touch technology as well.

As you can see in Matthew’s graphic above, the angle of Apple’s shot and the spacing between the icons indicates that the tablet is in portrait orientation, thus there should be a home button visible. That’s assuming the tablet isn’t upside down, however.

According to insiders, Apple will only be offering the J1 iPad 3 – the WiFi-only model – in black, though that could be a limitation lifted some time after the launch. The cellularly-enabled models are expected to be offered in both black and white. The leaked part numbers give no indication of internal storage capacity, and it’s possible Apple has bumped the top storage option to 128GB in preparation for owners storing hours of Full HD footage on the slates.

We’ll be liveblogging the whole Apple iPad event next week, so join us at 10AM PST on Wednesday, March 7 over at http://live.slashgear.com/ for all the news!

Leaked iPad part numbers:

MD328LL/A – J1 GOOD B- USA
    MD329LL/A – J1 BETTER B-USA
    MD330LL/A – J1 BEST-B-USA

MD366LL/A – J2A GOOD A-USA
    MD367LL/A – J2A BETTER A-USA
    MD368LL/A – J2A BEST A-USA

MD369LL/A – J2A GOOD B-USA
    MD370LL/A – J2A BETTER B-USA
    MD371LL/A – J2A BEST B-USA

I think my biggest problem is that if they do come out with a touch-sensitive bezel, people will hail it as revolutionary and essentially think RIM is the one copying. As you can see, this article doesnt even mention anything about "Playbook-Like Bezel Gestures" whereas things always get the "iPad-like" designation if the features are remotely similar to Apple's tab.

::rant off::
    02-29-12 06:28 AM

I think my biggest problem is that if they do come out with a touch-sensitive bezel, people will hail it as revolutionary and essentially think RIM is the one copying. As you can see, this article doesnt even mention anything about "Playbook-Like Bezel Gestures" whereas things always get the "iPad-like" designation if the features are remotely similar to Apple's tab.

Considering that RIM swiped the bezel gestures from other companies, and that the iPad already have similar gestures, it's really no wonder that they don't use the term "Playbook like gestures" no?
    Yaceka likes this.
    02-29-12 06:40 AM
    icopy is nothing new. Sad they get all the credit.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-29-12 at 06:55 AM.
    02-29-12 06:48 AM
    No home button would be a good thing.
    02-29-12 06:53 AM
    If it indeed does not have a home button they will have some issues with people running iphones with the button and the ipad without it. I wonder how they will do it, especially on the is side of things.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-29-12 07:09 AM

Nobody will hail it as revolutionary. When they finally got a new notification system, people knew it was based off Android. It was hailed as a success, but not revolutionary.

Gestures are the future in my opinion. PlayBook beat them too it, but there's no prize for being first.

Apple will mention nothing related to the PlayBook if these gestures come out, just like the PlayBook didn't say "iPhone like push to zoom" or the tiles are sorted and put into folders in an "iPhone like fashion"
    02-29-12 07:10 AM
    icopy is nothing new. Sad they get all the credit.
    Sad thing is is that they will probably try and patent it and be granted the patent.
    02-29-12 07:12 AM
    RIM did not release the first 7" tablet nor was it the first device with bezel gestures. Why would it upset anyone?
    02-29-12 07:19 AM
    I hope we don't state another thread about how Apple does not innovate. It is sad and desperate. Both RIM and Apple have innovated a lot. As far as patents, rarely is the patent holder the first to think up the idea or invent it. That goes back well before the telephone. RIM, Apple, and many others have played that game and have sued each other a lot. It does not just go one way. The Apple vs. Samsung wars have heightened the press coverage for sure.
    02-29-12 07:21 AM
    I hope we don't state another thread about how Apple does not innovate. It is sad and desperate. Both RIM and Apple have innovated a lot. As far as patents, rarely is the patent holder the first to think up the idea or invent it. That goes back well before the telephone. RIM, Apple, and many others have played that game and have sued each other a lot. It does not just go one way. The Apple vs. Samsung wars have heightened the press coverage for sure.

No, this is certainly not an apple does not innovate thread. And I was vaguely aware that there had been some bezel swiping before the pb, but I just feel like bezel gestures are one of the big things that sets the pb apart. Its too bad rim probably doesn't have a patent on it because they could have used the differentiation from apple for a little longer. Oh well, its just a rumor anyways, maybe its not true!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 07:34 AM
    If it indeed does not have a home button they will have some issues with people running iphones with the button and the ipad without it. I wonder how they will do it, especially on the is side of things.
    It's far more likely that the button is removed in favor of a touch-sensitive area that works in the same way.
    Jean-luc_Picard likes this.
    02-29-12 07:38 AM
    Sad thing is is that they will probably try and patent it and be granted the patent.
    Have you ever tried patenting something that's been shipping on another product for months? Give it a shot and see what happens.
    Skier1960 likes this.
    02-29-12 07:43 AM
    Losing the home button was the right thing to do

They should rename it the pPad
    stephaneldugas likes this.
    02-29-12 07:49 AM
    Won't a lot of users be lost without a home button? I guess a home button isn't the way to go any longer. The pb was a mystery to Apple users because it didn't have a home button and they couldn't figure out how to use it. Now it won't be easy for them?

At any rate I'd get a win8 or android before I think about an apple. Of course RIM and bb10 are my first choice.
    jamesbondOO7 and bigbmc26 like this.
    02-29-12 07:58 AM
    Losing the home button was the right thing to do
    They haven't "done" anything yet.
    moiselles likes this.
    02-29-12 08:34 AM
    Won't a lot of users be lost without a home button? I guess a home button isn't the way to go any longer. The pb was a mystery to Apple users because it didn't have a home button and they couldn't figure out how to use it. Now it won't be easy for them?

At any rate I'd get a win8 or android before I think about an apple. Of course RIM and bb10 are my first choice.
    I dont know, iPad already have multitouch gesture tested back in iOS4 and official in iOS5
    02-29-12 08:42 AM
    It's far more likely that the button is removed in favor of a touch-sensitive area that works in the same way.
    I'm not a programmer, but I believe a simple thing like removing the physical button for a touch may cause issues for the apps developed already. Since those apps are programmed to respond to a distinct input, they may need to be recoded by the developers for both types of inputs. Its not a big issue, but the whole idea of uniformity in the Apple development will cease to exist. Again, not a big deal since all future apps can include both, but all previous apps need new coding?
    02-29-12 08:44 AM
    I'm not a programmer, but I believe a simple thing like removing the physical button for a touch may cause issues for the apps developed already. Since those apps are programmed to respond to a distinct input, they may need to be recoded by the developers for both types of inputs. Its not a big issue, but the whole idea of uniformity in the Apple development will cease to exist. Again, not a big deal since all future apps can include both, but all previous apps need new coding?
    Home button isn't used by anyone except Apple AFAIK. Other than navigating screens it calls up file search, multitasking bar, and takes screenshots.
    Last edited by TGR1; 02-29-12 at 08:53 AM.
    02-29-12 08:51 AM
    You're not following me. I'm talking about replacing the actual button with a touch-sensitive area in the bezel that would work exactly the same way. I could see that before removing the button entirely.

It's also important to note that a similar "remove home button" claim was made last year, so it would be wise to wait a week and let Apple make its own product announcement:

Exclusive: Apple will remove home button on next iPad and iPhone; Photo Booth and iLife coming?
    02-29-12 08:59 AM
    Apps have no access to the button, it's merely a home button, so no changes necessary.

app_Developer likes this.
    02-29-12 09:00 AM
    Everyone seems to forget that Palm had bezel gestures long before the PB. So did RIM merely rip off palm? Apple ripped off palm for years.
    02-29-12 09:01 AM
    With Apple, we always know so little. It's a week away, lets just wait and see. It not completely surprising that they would remove the home button. I feel that it's just a matter of sooner or later.
    02-29-12 11:15 AM
    I believe these are just rumors that will not materialize. If Apple does in fact lose the home button, wouldn't this occur with a software update? Think about that.
    02-29-12 11:40 AM
    I agree that all platforms are innovative... they have to be to survive.... The larger question is who will innovate the best....

As far as those who flame about other platforms... have to wonder what is missing with what they have that they need to attack others....

My motto .... "if it works for you ... be happy .... an enjoy it...."
    Maliberti likes this.
    02-29-12 11:49 AM
    True. But Apple seems to openly play the lawsuit card far more than others.

And I'd hope that no one is suggesting that Apple doesn't innovate. On the other hand, fanboys of every technology company tend to be overzealous in claiming innovation. Example: Apple has openly admitted OS X is a unix derivative -- at least they used to say so. But, if you listened to some Mac fans, it's totally original and the greatest thing since sliced bread. And, I'm sure, if we both look, we can find similar stories for Microsoft, linux, Android, et al.
    02-29-12 12:02 PM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD