Just "WOW!!!" if true …….
    It isn't, I have talked with reliable source as well and mine is better than theirs.
    US release will not be that quick alas.
    01-25-13 11:36 PM
    I'm still going by what i was told, which was a late feb early march BETA for devs and No later then the end of May for Final release
    01-25-13 11:46 PM
    I'm still going by what i was told, which was a late feb early march BETA for devs and No later then the end of May for Final release
    For the X10....
    01-25-13 11:49 PM
    Im hoping you mean x10
    01-25-13 11:57 PM
    oook,,, all this talk abt not getting out BB10 to the playbook 'cuz they wanna focus on the phone(s) launch,,, who says they can't chew bubble gum & walk @ the same time??? some ppl say don't get your hopes up,,, good advice,,, but until there's indisputable evidence to say it can't/won't happen then it can,,, jeez, the NDA guys must be screaming...
    They are. Screaming... 'Don't get your hopes up over some rumors'. But alas, no one wants to listen.

*shrug*
    01-26-13 12:05 AM
    "60% of the time it works every time"....
    01-26-13 12:24 AM
    Bla1ze, how many people have Dev Alpha's? How many of those people are every day users? How many of the every day users would be aware (if they never owned a PlayBook, which still isn't a handset) that BlackBerry could handle Android apps?

You have to keep in mind that not everyone know's what we know and that on posts meant for users who may never have used BlackBerry, the obvious to us needs to be pointed out.

I'm not knocking you, you obviously know your stuff or you wouldn't be the Forums Manager on a BlackBerry.

Edit: I really must read full posts before replying - sorry Bla1ze (again lol)
    I havent read the article (going to now) but... if it was a 'reliable' source then that person should have known all the relevant information, including the most obvious things like sideloading. it would boggle my mind if someone with all this 'inside' knowledge on prices and new devices/updates wouldnt know something as simple as sideloading...

read the 'article'. damn, i need to get into this business of posting a paragraph and calling it journalism...
    01-26-13 12:26 AM
    The [Rumor ?] heading +4 question marks surrounding the word "Playbook" ... I believe anyone has put his pinch of [whatever] while reading this. No ?
    I didn't want by any means to say this was 100% true, and reactions here sounded a bit over-sensitive to me.

Now, my take
    We might have something coming for the Playbook very soon. Of course, I don't believe this could be anything like a final version of BB10.
    In my understanding, this could be an early version (alpha ?), like the one we had on the DevAlpha when it popped. A limited features version, but with the underlying functions updated. Its usage would be restricted to development purposes. Technically, this would be BB10, but so far I know, there's no known example of non (dev/consumer) beta-tested final version of OS hitting the street straight from the labs. With the current RIM quality-control process this is just impossible.

Stay cool, don't expect rumors to be the truth.
    Peace.

Edit :
    Sorry, I just don't want people to get their hopes up. When you do the end result is always being mad at RIM for things they never promised in the first place and instead was all based off of rumors. Its happened numerous times and I've been around long enough to see most of them. If you can't get your *wanted* BlackBerry 10 device on Feb 5th, remember. If you don't get your super duper BlackBerry 10 PlayBook update, remember. That's all I'm saying. If you don't want to believe me, cool.. I'm fine with that and I certainly won't mind being proven wrong... in fact I'd love it but hopefully, some of you will listen to the warnings, read the signs and not end up sour and bitter.
    ^THIS I agree with (just to be clear and ... in proper English).

v THAT, I Thank you, HowarMat for checking out with the "source". Great value.(even if I had my -deserved ? - tap before

The author contacted me and we discussed it. He was given his info from a good source he says so we will see. If would be huge if RIM had both the touchscreen and the keyboard device on sale within a week from the launch event I just dont see how its possible
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-26-13 at 04:21 AM.
    01-26-13 04:06 AM
    We shall see what we shall see...

#BB10Believe
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-26-13 05:07 AM
    also BB10 update for playbook should actually IMPROVE performance because the UI and all the other stuff wont be in that adobe air crap. All in native C++ efficiency
    I don't believe that they will launch the PlayBook on BB10 shortly but I also don't think it will be a pig either. They have been using the PlayBook internally for development of BB10 right from Day 1 as it was much easier to use a PlayBook than having to sign out some of the less stable and more limited development mules. People forget the PlayBook does not have to carry around all the Phone software so it'll be running a lighter version of BB10. And then there is the faster HTML5 based browser, native UI, etc. It'll be fast enough.
    just_luc, BB_Bmore and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-26-13 05:59 AM
    Hasn't it also been established that the Dev devices won't be upgraded to the final version of BB10?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-26-13 07:32 AM
    Hasn't it also been established that the Dev devices won't be upgraded to the final version of BB10?
    Yes it has. Valid point.
    one of the underlying "little things" you have in mind without even naming it ... but you can add to others to build an opinion.
    01-26-13 07:44 AM
    So give us the real scoop if you know this is so wrong.
    He doesn't need to know the exact details to know that all four US carriers will not launch that quickly, that the X10 is not going to be out that early or that we will not see a playbook update that soon either.
    01-26-13 08:05 AM
    I'm still trying to figure out how releasing BlackBerry10 for the Playbook is a "bad strategic move"

I can think of a handful of reasons off the top of my head how it would benefit RIM. When thinking about the cons it would have to be before the launch of the phones to be a bad move. I can't think of any reason why it would be a bad move...can someone enlighten me please.
    Firstly, for them to be launching it right away it would have been taking dev resources away from a phone that would actually make them money in new sales, the hardware is worse than the bb10 handsets by quite a long way so the odds are that the bb10 experience on the playbook would not be good enough and taint the overall impression of bb10 unlike if it came later after they had more time to work on optimising things.
    01-26-13 08:15 AM
    It is my understanding that loading BB10 onto a PB is not a problem. I know somebody who's done it. The problem is that it doesn't work properly. Getting it to do so shouldn't be terribly difficult, but a time waster nonetheless. I think devs will also have to tweek their apps a little. I don't think RIM wants them spending time on that either. Everybody needs to be, as Thorsein says, laser focused.
    01-26-13 08:53 AM
    The author contacted me and we discussed it. He was given his info from a good source he says so we will see. If would be huge if RIM had both the touchscreen and the keyboard device on sale within a week from the launch event I just dont see how its possible
    So why print something that is a lie? Don't any of these so called journalist check their information prior to putting "ink to paper"? I guess this why they have jobs for 2nd rate websites and not the Globe and Mail.
    01-26-13 10:58 AM
    I'm still trying to figure out how releasing BlackBerry10 for the Playbook is a "bad strategic move"

I can think of a handful of reasons off the top of my head how it would benefit RIM. When thinking about the cons it would have to be before the launch of the phones to be a bad move. I can't think of any reason why it would be a bad move...can someone enlighten me please.
    The last thing investors want to hear about this week is anything with the word "PlayBook" in it. I love my PlayBook but the reputation the brand name has garnered is moving into BlackBerry Storm territory.

RIM is making all the right moves. BlackBerry 10. Z10. Plenty of Apps. BlackBerry Balance. These are the things investors want to see the focus on -- right.. now.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-26-13 11:16 AM
    So why print something that is a lie? Don't any of these so called journalist check their information prior to putting "ink to paper"? I guess this why they have jobs for 2nd rate websites and not the Globe and Mail.
    I have never claimed to be a journalist nor is my website 2nd rate - I made sure my source gave supporting info too but like a lot of sources who choose to remain annon (even for Engadget and The Verge) we can't publish everything we have that supports the text.
    dmlis and zyben like this.
    01-26-13 12:39 PM
    i`ll be honest i dont see BB10 for the PlayBook being released in feb, although theres every chance the source meant a dev beta like they did for OS2.

my reasoning behind that is two fold.
    1) the SDK`s simply arent available for BB10 on the PlayBook, also no simulator. by moving to BB10 with no dev knowledge they`d cut off lots of apps for weeks while devs scrambled to sort and repackge their apps. this would kill the good will RIM has built with developers and isnt something i see happening.
    2) RIM need the world to know they have launched new phone(s), i think straying off that path to tablets too would lead to not as strong a message in the news.

Personally this is what i expect to see happen with the PlayBook.
    1) at BBJam they will announce the availability of BB10 for PB developer beta, or at least the timeframe for it
    2) it will go `public` at BBLive in the middle of may.

The above gives developers time to sort their apps as per my first reason, and the window was always rumoured to be may kinda time, so BBLive fits in nicely with that.

While i have nothing to back that up, to me that is the logical steps to take
    01-26-13 02:24 PM
    I hope that this information is correct. We'll find out soon enough. As for everyone discounting these claims, put up your own info that you know or back off. Releasing info you've known for a while after it is announced publicly and saying you've known for X amount of time is just sad and anyone could make similar claims.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-26-13 02:36 PM
    Random blogger on some noname website is not going to be too bothered about checking facts if they get the hits and to be fair to them, it is not like proper journalists are overly keen on fact checking nowadays either.
    annon91221 likes this.
    01-26-13 02:52 PM
    This sounds great to me I and many would love this.I already expected the Z to be released on the 31/1-2nd of feb or a week later followed by X.But this is a NEW RIM anything can happen .This is'nt the old RIM this is a NEW RIM people need to accept this asap just look at superbowl ad ,the developer efforts,deadline keeping.THIS IS A NEW RIM we dont know what they can do.

I once said it would be good if PB user who bought a bb10 phone get a bb10 push at some point later on the year like in the summer.But a suggested week later after purchasing the Z or X chaa.That would be a great way to look after the loyal fanbase that would be excellent way to repay our faith.This could be part of the surprise package.I welcome this if it happens great if not still get my Z.I'll put this PB info in possible surprises.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-26-13 03:25 PM
    Yes it has. Valid point.
    one of the underlying "little things" you have in mind without even naming it ... but you can add to others to build an opinion.
    Define final.. because Dev Alphas right now are out there running BlackBerry 10 complete versions. Plus, January 30th.. Dev Alpha's will be updated with a more working state build. There is a limit that can reached but it's a RIM implemented limit. Dev Alphas are entirely capable of running BlackBerry 10 now and in the forseeable future, if RIM wants to allow them to.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-26-13 03:37 PM
    What are you talking about? Taking away dev resources? BlackBerry10 has been built as a tablet OS along side the phones since day one...BlackBerry10 was actually "born" on the PlayBook.The odds are that the BlackBerry10 version for PlayBook is already optimized for the hardware. People always speak of Rim like they can only do one thing at a time but truth be told they built BlackBerry10 on the PlayBook, dev alphas and of course Z10. The cascade libs do the rendering automatically depending what device its on. There are PlayBooks with BlackBerry10 already and its optimized for the PlayBooks hardware already. Rim will release it when they think the time is right not when they get the resources to port it over lol .
    Firstly, for them to be launching it right away it would have been taking dev resources away from a phone that would actually make them money in new sales, the hardware is worse than the bb10 handsets by quite a long way so the odds are that the bb10 experience on the playbook would not be good enough and taint the overall impression of bb10 unlike if it came later after they had more time to work on optimising things.
    just_luc, zyben and THBW like this.
    01-26-13 03:58 PM
    /* =================================================
    BB10 Context Menu 1024x600
    =================================================*/

.bb-bb10-context-menu-1024x600-dark
    {
    background-color: #121212;
    border-left: solid 1px #161616;
    }

.bb-bb10-context-menu-item-1024x600
    {
    padding-top: 7px;
    padding-bottom: 3px;
    padding-left: 0px;
    border-left: solid 5px;
    border-left-color: transparent;
    height: 52px;
    line-height: 52px;
    vertical-align: center;
    font-size:16pt;
    }

.bb-bb10-context-menu-item-inner-1024x600
    {

I guess Tim Niel updating github bbUI.js samples with 1280x768 and 1280x720 AND 1024x600 is just a simple coincidence???
    01-26-13 04:14 PM
112 12345