Why did the chicken cross the road?
    landofjohn likes this.
    01-25-13 08:56 PM
    I actually think that they will show off new tablet hardware at the launch. I just have a feeling.
    01-25-13 09:04 PM
    So anything I would know from Best Buy management (but have not posted) is "rubbish" also?
    I'll "remember" this for later.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-25-13 09:11 PM
    PlayBook update so soon is highly unlikely, and would be a bad strategic move by RIM. RIM needs this launch to go perfectly. They can't afford any negative press or word of mouth out there killing the buzz about the new product. And even if the Z10 has no better hardware than the dev alpha, hardware-wise this is still a significant upgrade over the wifi PlayBooks - an additional 500 mhz on the CPU, and an additional gig of Ram.

Comparing my PlayBook to my dad's iPad4 over Christmas, complex apps are noticeably slower to load, and web browsing is significantly slower. If I were RIM, I would not let two-year old hardware run my new OS for at least the first month I have it out. I wouldn't take the risk of having some blogger update his PlayBook instead of buying a z10 and lead with the headline "still slower than the iPhone 5"... Or suffer something similar through the grapevine. (Personally, I'm still hoping for an A15 chip in the z10, based on the chip in the QNX Bentley at CES - that would make an even bigger disparity with the wifi playbooks.)

The only way I can see RIM releasing the Playbook OS update before march is if they have all new Tablet hardware to profile it. That would be great if it happened, but, since they'll need to sell it through retail outlets, I'm guessing we would have heard something about it by now...
    Like this: 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook has reached End Of Life!? | NerdBerry.net

Perhaps they are expecting to rock everyone, not just the phone crowd...makes sense to me...we shall see in a few days.
    01-25-13 09:11 PM
    Side note....SuperFly_Fr you are getting really good at starting great threads...good job sir!
    landofjohn and spike12 like this.
    01-25-13 09:13 PM
    PlayBook update so soon is highly unlikely, and would be a bad strategic move by RIM. RIM needs this launch to go perfectly. They can't afford any negative press or word of mouth out there killing the buzz about the new product. And even if the Z10 has no better hardware than the dev alpha, hardware-wise this is still a significant upgrade over the wifi PlayBooks - an additional 500 mhz on the CPU, and an additional gig of Ram.

Comparing my PlayBook to my dad's iPad4 over Christmas, complex apps are noticeably slower to load, and web browsing is significantly slower. If I were RIM, I would not let two-year old hardware run my new OS for at least the first month I have it out. I wouldn't take the risk of having some blogger update his PlayBook instead of buying a z10 and lead with the headline "still slower than the iPhone 5"... Or suffer something similar through the grapevine. (Personally, I'm still hoping for an A15 chip in the z10, based on the chip in the QNX Bentley at CES - that would make an even bigger disparity with the wifi playbooks.)

The only way I can see RIM releasing the Playbook OS update before march is if they have all new Tablet hardware to profile it. That would be great if it happened, but, since they'll need to sell it through retail outlets, I'm guessing we would have heard something about it by now...
    Ipad4 to a playbook is no comparison at all. Ipad4 is 2 revisions beyond the playbook
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-25-13 09:17 PM
    so much wrong in this its not even funny. its rubbish really
    So give us the real scoop if you know this is so wrong.
    Well for starters the X10 will not be out on the same day as the Z10.. that's a stated fact direct from RIM, and for good reason. And if RIM's word on that isn't enough..then how about the fact that they aren't releasing the dev alpha C until after this supposed launch date.. why would they release an alpha device with the production model already on the shelves?
    01-25-13 09:21 PM
    Calm down guys, the PB update they're reffering to will just give it the ability to video chat with a Z10. The BB10 update is months away.
    01-25-13 09:22 PM
    Well for starters the X10 will not be out on the same day as the Z10.. that's a stated fact direct from RIM, and for good reason. And if RIM's word on that isn't enough..then how about the fact that they aren't release the dev alpha C until after this supposed launch date.. why would they release an alpha device with the production model already on the shelves?
    A voice of reason. Sorry, I just don't want people to get their hopes up. When you do the end result is always being mad at RIM for things they never promised in the first place and instead was all based off of rumors. Its happened numerous times and I've been around long enough to see most of them. If you can't get your *wanted* BlackBerry 10 device on Feb 5th, remember. If you don't get your super duper BlackBerry 10 PlayBook update, remember. That's all I'm saying. If you don't want to believe me, cool.. I'm fine with that and I certainly won't mind being proven wrong... in fact I'd love it but hopefully, some of you will listen to the warnings, read the signs and not end up sour and bitter.
    01-25-13 09:28 PM
    They would be ******** to release the X10 Feb 5 and it is not going to happen. There have not been nearly enough leaks for it to be released in a week in a half as a large number of people would have used it and taken pictures of it by now it it were coming out this soon. Second of all the SDK is not even released for the keyboard version and won't be til Jan 30. It's not happening it just doesn't add up.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-25-13 09:35 PM
    A voice of reason. Sorry, I just don't want people to get their hopes up. When you do the end result is always being mad at RIM for things they never promised in the first place and instead was all based off of rumors. Its happened numerous times and I've been around long enough to see most of them. If you can't get your *wanted* BlackBerry 10 device on Feb 5th, remember. If you don't get your super duper BlackBerry 10 PlayBook update, remember. That's all I'm saying. If you don't want to believe me, cool.. I'm fine with that and I certainly won't mind being proven wrong... in fact I'd love it but hopefully, some of you will listen to the warnings, read the signs and not end up sour and bitter.
    If I don't get my new phone just hours after the launch event, I'm gonna be super pissed...
    01-25-13 09:40 PM
    I'll "remember" this for later.
    Will you do that with this?
    [Rumor ?] Land of Berry : Exclusive BlackBerry 10 Prices, Release Dates and ?? Playbook ??-bbremember11111.jpg
    01-25-13 09:41 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out how releasing BlackBerry10 for the Playbook is a "bad strategic move"

I can think of a handful of reasons off the top of my head how it would benefit RIM. When thinking about the cons it would have to be before the launch of the phones to be a bad move. I can't think of any reason why it would be a bad move...can someone enlighten me please.
    01-25-13 09:46 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out how releasing BlackBerry10 for the Playbook is a "bad strategic move"

I can think of a handful of reasons off the top of my head how it would benefit RIM. When thinking about the cons it would have to be before the launch of the phones to be a bad move. I can't think of any reason why it would be a bad move...can someone enlighten me please.
    If, and this is just an if, BB10 doesn't run smoothly on PlayBook hardware it could affect the overall perception of BB10 in the market. A reviewer may write something negative (e.g. Sluggish, unstable, etc) about BB10 when it was because the hardware was two years old.

Not my position, but I can see the argument.
    01-25-13 09:50 PM
    If, and this is just an if, BB10 doesn't run smoothly on PlayBook hardware it could affect the overall perception of BB10 in the market. A reviewer may write something negative (e.g. Sluggish, unstable, etc) about BB10 when it was because the hardware was two years old.

Exactly. Even if BB10 for Playbook is 100% ready today they need to sit on in for a few months so everyone's first experience of it is on current hardware(Z10, X10) where the performance will be top notch.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-25-13 09:54 PM

It's mine and thanks for saving me the trouble of typing it. When tech "journalists" are looking for something to write, the can easily leave off the "BETA" just to give the readers something to chew upon. If I was RIM my BETA would be just about golden and the official release would be less than 30 days later.
    01-25-13 09:59 PM
    But Imo that would be the whole reason to do it. One could say with BlackBerry10 running on the 2 year old PlayBook on only half the ram of RIM's new Z 10 its quite impressive and a testament to the efficiency of RIM's rtos Qnx. Besides if it runs decent on the dev alpha A you would think that PlayBook will handle it just fine.

01-25-13 10:01 PM
    Exactly. Even if BB10 for Playbook is 100% ready today they need to sit on in for a few months so everyone's first experience of it is on current hardware(Z10, X10) where the performance will be top notch.
    Now this I can understand and agree with, thank you.
    Toodeurep and EsJayDee like this.
    01-25-13 10:03 PM
    This one of th reasons I think that the playbook won't recieve BB10 for a while because they are probably going to make sure it still runs smoothly just like on the phones and they will need to make some changes for the Tablet UI and the UI of the core apps since you have more screen real estate. I do not think it will be exactly the same UI as the phone. If you look at TATs videos one of them says something about making a Tablet UI look different than a phone UI and developing a different specific UI for each.
    01-25-13 10:10 PM
    LOL at the X10 claim...use your brains people (the few people who seem to have trouble seeing through this mess). The device would launch with ZERO apps. Think about that, RIM has spent $ millions to ensure that their Z10 device launches with an ample app catalogue. Now they're going to throw that all away by releasing the X10 with no app library at all?

That right there removes any credit this article may have had in my mind. Lots of the rehashed rumours may be true, but this site adds zero credibility to those rumours.
    Marc_Paradise and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-25-13 10:11 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Just "WOW!!!" if true ��.
    01-25-13 10:14 PM
    well the playbook wifi has 1gb mem and a ti 4430, the playbook 4g has ti 4460 1gb ram and the dev alpha a has ti 4460 and 1gb ram...... Someone with a dev alpha a maybe chime in on how bb10 runs on your unit and perhaps we have our answer as to the fluidity of bb10 on the playbook
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-25-13 10:20 PM
    All I know is my PlayBook's run BlackBerry10 nicely...anyone wanna BBM???
    Attached Thumbnails [Rumor ?] Land of Berry : Exclusive BlackBerry 10 Prices, Release Dates and ?? Playbook ??-district-5-dublin-20130125-00646-1-.jpg  
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-25-13 10:20 PM
    also BB10 update for playbook should actually IMPROVE performance because the UI and all the other stuff wont be in that adobe air crap. All in native C++ efficiency
    01-25-13 10:23 PM
    oook,,, all this talk abt not getting out BB10 to the playbook 'cuz they wanna focus on the phone(s) launch,,, who says they can't chew bubble gum & walk @ the same time??? some ppl say don't get your hopes up,,, good advice,,, but until there's indisputable evidence to say it can't/won't happen then it can,,, jeez, the NDA guys must be screaming...
    01-25-13 10:27 PM
112 1234 ...