not a good combination. but RIM should make a deal with skype to give us the skype app

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    05-21-12 10:38 PM
    The author of the Forbes article writes....."Facebook, for one thing, is not going to spend its new pile of shareholder cash on buying a rickety, crumbling contraption like RIM."

I tend to agree. FaceBook didn't get itself to a $100,000,000,000.00 IPO by being stupid.
    You're right. It got a $100,000,000 IPO by "the street" and Kool-Aid drinking investors being stupid.

To the point of this rumor - Facebook brings nothing but negatives (security being the biggest)
    to this imagined sale.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    05-21-12 10:56 PM
    first I have not read the article so don't flame me for repeating the articles points if I have but...here's my 2 cents worth (I am killing time in line somewhere)...
    1) unfortunately for me and the rest of the RIM users who like our privacy and trust who we buy our phones from (as much as that's possible) a FB buyout/merger makes sense on the surface - facebook can not develop a phone on its own; they have not a clue when it comes to designing an intuitive, attractive user interface/experience - RIM does
    2) RIM needs FB and FB needs RIM - RIM has the hardware, FB has the potential customer base.
    3) FB's stocks and shareholders will welcome this I am sure, it would enable those who bought in at the IPO to get out after news of a merger/similar arrangement pushes the stocks back to a level where you can realize an acceptable loss.
    4) Would probably lead to a more competitive market, lowering iPhone prices (not that anyone cares on this board)
    5) FB sucks, any merger with RIM and I think a *lot* of people who have been RIM supporters for the past 14 years or so, such as myself, would be gone in a heartbeat. I detest FB and MZ's practices...and as much as I like my blackberry, that would be a definite deal breaker and I'd be off to Android? Or Apple? I am not sure where, but it would be the lesser of all evils. The choices in that department are getting slimmer by the year. I really hope this does not happen, but from a business standpoint, RIM really needs to figure things out. Why do they not market their encryption and even provide a more private experience than they already do? I think the world is ready for it...or at least to make that a focal point of their campaign rather than telling us how you can type 1000 emails a day whilst organizing you social media tours? Because you all know how handy that is when you are managing boy-bands right? COME ON RIM! Don't let this happen! Figure out a way to stay relevant without letting FB in...
    BBMINI likes this.
    06-04-12 09:25 PM
    Its likely a sale like that would be blocked, if not by the major stock holders, by the Canadian government.
    I feel like I've been posting this everywhere today, but the Canadian government is NOT going to block a sale of RIM. They've come out and said so explicitly.
    06-04-12 09:27 PM
    I have a strong feeling that someone will soon scoop them up in the next couple of months. The net cost at the current share price is $3 billion (Market cap of $5 billion less the $2 billion in cash holdings). Really cheap for a company that has a new product on its way, and not mention the IP and other assets (i.e. buildings).

In most cases I would see the Canadian government approving a sale, including Facebook, but a sale to someone like Lenovo may not get approval.
    06-04-12 10:11 PM
    That 5Bn includes everything, including the real estate. They'll have to pay a premium so the Canadian Gov't looks OK on the deal. So, I'd figure Zuckerberg could buy RIM for his own personal hobby. I've never seen what phone he uses, but i'd guess it's a iPhone or Android.
    06-05-12 12:33 AM
    ... Though, i am extremely curious about why facebook is doing an IPO. Normally companies do that to raise funds for some purpose. Be it for expanding operations or what. They don't just go public for money, that just seem a bit.. weird. its not as if he isn't rich already ...
    What this means is it's overvalued. And it has to be. No one really gets that "rich" doing something that stupid. I'm sure fb has had US government help till now (and I'm sure there's still plenty of that available to it), but now it's time to con the "average consumer" in the stock market. Gotta get those consumers to help absorb some devalution. It's the same concept insurers use when they sell you a policy and then spread the risk among other companies/reinsurers so that no one insurer is stuck with the whole nut when disaster strikes. Watch the stock tank a short while after the ipo. The key people will cash in, cash out, and still be insulated from dilution, etc.

Some things just shouldn't go public, not as a matter of law, as a matter of logic and common sense. Look at the stupid things that have gone public like Krispy Kreme Donuts. How stupid is that? It was a big hip-hip-hooray, a few shops were opened locally (not many), and all closed a few years later. At least with Krispy Kreme its product had an inherent use -- you could eat the donuts! -- but the company still went down the tubes (at least locally in the populous northeast). With facebook what do you really get? You get to take the load off the CIA so that it doesn't have to investigate you by just handing over all your information.
    Last edited by T�nis; 06-05-12 at 08:15 AM.
    06-05-12 07:57 AM
    You're right. It got a $100,000,000 IPO by "the street" and Kool-Aid drinking investors being stupid.

To the point of this rumor - Facebook brings nothing but negatives (security being the biggest)
    to this imagined sale.
    Let me put it this way: Facebook buying RIM is the one scenario in which I would not wait for the end of the BlackBerry brand to ditch my BlackBerry. I love my BB,but not that much. The moment Facebook becomes part of the picture, I no longer want any part of it.
    06-05-12 08:07 AM
    ^^^^^ what Ed said.
    06-05-12 08:08 AM
    Same. I would pay my etf and stick a prepaid SIM in my 9650 for calls and texts.
    06-05-12 08:53 AM
    A threesome domination : apple+google+facebook ?
    eeeekkkkkkk : I resign using mobile phones. remember, it's not only when you own a spy mobile device that those privacy issues become concerns ...
    06-05-12 01:37 PM
    Let me put it this way: Facebook buying RIM is the one scenario in which I would not wait for the end of the BlackBerry brand to ditch my BlackBerry. I love my BB,but not that much. The moment Facebook becomes part of the picture, I no longer want any part of it.
    Amen to that. Where to look for a phone if this happens? I am considering scrapping the smartphone altogether, or following Tonis ^^^^ suggestion. as I don't believe there is anything smart about buying into a different platform if RIM as we know it leaves the marketplace. Welcome to the control grid
    Last edited by bradman16; 06-05-12 at 08:33 PM.
    06-05-12 08:31 PM
    I feel like I've been posting this everywhere today, but the Canadian government is NOT going to block a sale of RIM. They've come out and said so explicitly.
    lol, keep telling yourself that, heh... They say alot of things lol, there could be an election next week for all we know.
    06-06-12 12:35 AM
    lol, keep telling yourself that, heh... They say alot of things lol, there could be an election next week for all we know.

Actually no there could not. The conservatives have the majority and given the rigid party discipline that's common to Canadian politics (MPs never vote against party lines, a fact that has its pros and cons), there's no way they could lose a vote of non confidence.

Also I think Flaherty meant it when he said that. No one was demanding that he say it, he could have just said no comment and no one would've thought anything of it. He wanted to explicitly say that the govt wouldn't be getting involved.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-06-12 06:50 AM

So well said. A BIG X2
    06-06-12 07:12 AM
    No, not going to happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    inicophone likes this.
    06-07-12 06:00 AM
    No, not going to happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    Other than money, what does Facebook offer to RIM?
    And on the same hand, what does the opposite to their security values offer to Facebook?

Not going to happen!
    06-07-12 09:42 AM
    Other than money, what does Facebook offer to RIM?

And on the same hand, what does the opposite to their security values offer to Facebook?

Not going to happen!

What does facebook offer RIM?

1. Money. Which is really important to a successful bb10 launch.

2. Making investors happy. The stock would likely go up if RIM was bought out by anybody.

What does RIM offer facebook?

1. The ability to raise ad revenue from mobile. That's fb's number one priority right now.

2. Ensure fb investors that the company now has a source of growth and steady revenue from the sale of blackberry devices.

Still I agree, this probably won't happen. Sounds like an overzealous analyst just flapping his gums with baseless guessing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-07-12 09:53 AM
    FB sucks, any merger with RIM and I think a *lot* of people who have been RIM supporters for the past 14 years or so, such as myself, would be gone in a heartbeat. I detest FB and MZ's practices...and as much as I like my blackberry, that would be a definite deal breaker and I'd be off to Android? Or Apple? I am not sure where, but it would be the lesser of all evils. The choices in that department are getting slimmer by the year. COME ON RIM! Don't let this happen! Figure out a way to stay relevant without letting FB in...
    +1. I'm totally with you here. I'd definitely be one of the BB fans jumping ship if FB bought RIM. In fact, it's part of the reason I haven't yet moved to a 9930 or renewed by VZW contract -- just waiting a few more months to see what happens regarding RIM as a company, any possible FB purchase, and whether BB10 is released on time/at all.
    06-07-12 01:01 PM
94 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD