MARKET REPORT: Spending spree for Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg? | Mail Online

As Mark Zuckerberg�s social networking site Facebook gears up for hopefully a spectacular initial public offering in New York on Friday, with a stonking �65bn valuation which will raise around �8bn in cash for management to play with, speculation intensifies that it already has a major acquisition in mind. Step forward struggling Blackberry smartphone maker Research in Motion (RIM), which is trading at an eight-year low below $12 a share.

Facebook can go shopping for a seriously undervalued company such as RIM, to diversify its revenue

Read more: MARKET REPORT: Spending spree for Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg? | Mail Online
    05-16-12 08:54 AM
    Just what everyone would want. Not. There goes security and privacy.
    05-16-12 09:00 AM
    Its likely a sale like that would be blocked, if not by the major stock holders, by the Canadian government.
    raymond and zar1964 like this.
    05-16-12 09:03 AM
    Its likely a sale like that would be blocked, if not by the major stock holders, by the Canadian government.
    On what grounds?
    05-16-12 09:06 AM
    On what grounds?
    Facebook has little/no experience in a mobile environment, their track record on security is terrible, and it would alienate the largest stakeholders in RIMs enterprise (government/security conscious businesses and individuals).

Tying devices natively into Facebook servers/services would pose a massive security whole and could easily lead to leaked documents/information that should be (violations of opsec not withstanding)
    05-16-12 09:10 AM
    It's fascinating to see all this bulls**t from analysts about Facebook, just to drive their stock price up more and more. I was talking to my brother today about this. To avoid making a huge post I will touch on one thing I mentioned to him:

In the radio interview he was listening to, they were mentioning how massive Facebook is in EMEA. They acknowledge this. Why in the *boopity* do they dismiss this when it comes to Research in Motion?

Honestly, another stupid American company, like Apple and Google, being supported by it's country while shutting everything else out. As far as I'm concerned at least. And while I don't necessarily have a credible leg to stand on, I have a fantastic bulls**t detector.

EDIT: My post is off topic. So to bring it ON topic, this rumor is likely nothing more than a rumor to continue the recent abundance of Facebook attention. That was kinda my main point.
    Dapper37, raymond, sam_b77 and 2 others like this.
    05-16-12 09:17 AM
    I dont see that happening!!!
    05-16-12 09:17 AM
    It's fascinating to see all this bulls**t from analysts about Facebook,
    It's an article in the Daily Fail - if they said it was day, I'd expect it to be night.
    05-16-12 09:18 AM
    Well their money is just as good as anybody's. This would at least buy them some time if BB10 isn't an immediate success.
    05-16-12 09:19 AM
    Well their money is just as good as anybody's. This would at least buy them some time if BB10 isn't an immediate success.
    Even if RIM didnt release BB10, they still have many quarters of decreasing revenue before they kick the bucket. They have a good amount of cash, no debt, and recurring service revenue. They have time for BB10 to be a success, even a moderate one and still remain viable.
    05-16-12 09:20 AM
    Even if RIM didnt release BB10, they still have many quarters of decreasing revenue before they kick the bucket. They have a good amount of cash, no debt, and recurring service revenue. They have time for BB10 to be a success, even a moderate one and still remain viable.
    I meant more so than if Facebook wasn't involved. I know if BB10 isn't an immediate success the company just isn't going to die. With Facebook's money, if the initial launch of BB10 is lackluster, at least you have more money than you otherwise would to advertise, improve it, etc.
    05-16-12 09:26 AM
    I meant more so than if Facebook wasn't involved. I know if BB10 isn't an immediate success the company just isn't going to die. With Facebook's money, if the initial launch of BB10 is lackluster, at least you have more money than you otherwise would to advertise, improve it, etc.
    if BB10 doesn't do at least halfway decent in sales over the first 2-3 quarters after launch, having all that extra cash sitting around wont help unfortunately. RIM is going to need to knock it out of the part with the advertising leading up to AND during/after the launch, AND execute at least well (if not very well/perfectly) on the software/hardware side. Its very late in the game for a cash infusion to help on the software/hardware side. It would only help on advertising, which is about 1/3 of what they need.
    joski and Dapper37 like this.
    05-16-12 09:29 AM
    The thought of facebook buying RIM makes me cringe. I'm glad there has been other rumour's like this that have never come to fruition.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    05-16-12 09:35 AM
    I could see a partnership that would see rim recieve a huge cash infusion as a part of branding a couple of devices. Teaming with facebook would possibly make the blackberries more popular with the teenagers and early adults.

Depends how and what they do.

AN all out sale wouldn't be ideal.
    jonathon.94 likes this.
    05-16-12 09:39 AM
    as someone has already mentioned this is an article in the Mail, a newspaper(and i use the term in its broadest sense) that has zero credibility in the UK.

Seriously if it said the sun was going to go down tonight i would still not believe it.
    Barljo likes this.
    05-16-12 09:45 AM
    Ugh, no.

I do not like Facebook and I do not like Zuckerberg.

End this now.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    05-16-12 09:47 AM
    as someone has already mentioned this is an article in the Mail, a newspaper(and i use the term in its broadest sense) that has zero credibility in the UK.

Seriously if it said the sun was going to go down tonight i would still not believe it.
    Totally right! But it's getting people talking. And I personally think it's just to drive up the share price for Facebook.
    05-16-12 09:55 AM
    Given the opportunity to vote on this, I am certain most of the shareholders would approve it.
    05-16-12 10:08 AM
    I can't really see Facebook getting a controlling interest in the company, but I could see them making a large investment in RIM stock.

It would be wise of Zuckerburg to tie the future of Facebook to the foundation that BB10 represents. Otherwise, what do they really have to sell other than private information and advertising space? Facebook owning a 10% share of RIM would ensure that if the social media experiment ever backfires completely, they'd still own 10% of a company with a much stronger patent portfolio.
    05-16-12 10:27 AM
    It is just a speculation by the writer. I honestly don't see that happening.

Though, i am extremely curious about why facebook is doing an IPO. Normally companies do that to raise funds for some purpose. Be it for expanding operations or what. They don't just go public for money, that just seem a bit.. weird. its not as if he isn't rich already. What is Mark planning? Venture into the mobile phone market? Does anyone know? is it stated in their agenda?
    05-16-12 10:29 AM
    It is just a speculation by the writer. I honestly don't see that happening.

Though, i am extremely curious about why facebook is doing an IPO. Normally companies do that to raise funds for some purpose. Be it for expanding operations or what. They don't just go public for money, that just seem a bit.. weird. its not as if he isn't rich already. What is Mark planning? Venture into the mobile phone market? Does anyone know? is it stated in their agenda?
    Facebook tablet?
    05-16-12 10:34 AM
    the Booklet lol
    jonathon.94 likes this.
    05-16-12 10:35 AM
    Honestly, another stupid American company, like Apple and Google, being supported by it's country while shutting everything else out. As far as I'm concerned at least. And while I don't necessarily have a credible leg to stand on, I have a fantastic bulls**t detector.
    Being Canadian is hard.
    05-16-12 10:50 AM
    Just what everyone would want. Not. There goes security and privacy.
    Exactly this. I won't say it can't happen, because Zuckerberg is an egomaniacal lunatic and for the right amount of cash, yeah can see the board approving it for being beneficial to the shareholders. But I can tell you that the day it happens is the day all my BlackBerry's go on ebay and I do the unthinkable and go shopping for a Windows phone.
    05-16-12 11:58 AM
    FB are loosing advertisers and seeing a huge move to the mobile market. Thats why they bought Instagram.
    So if they want to grow into the mobile mkt, RIM is not a bad choice. Plus their value perception antenna is badly broken.
    05-16-12 12:28 PM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD