BlackBerry Touch 9870 gets a new design | BGR

We spent some time with the BlackBerry Touch a little while back, but we wanted to update you on something that�s changed. We have heard the model number of the device will now be 9870, but that�s not all. On the unit we played with, the four BlackBerry menu buttons were all part of one strip, much like the buttons on the BlackBerry 9700 or Curve. However, we�re told that the buttons on the BlackBerry 9870 have changed in the latest hardware revision, and there are now four separate buttons that are rectangular in shape. We have not been told a reason for the change, but this could definitely be part of the reason the phone wasn�t announced at BlackBerry World last week.
    Oh BGR <3
    05-11-11 04:33 PM
    so the same style as the touch in the other thread....yuck :/
    05-11-11 04:39 PM
    I like the buttons! I really hate my 9300, and Torch Buttons,
    I much preferred the different buttons of the 9630!
    05-11-11 04:46 PM
    i am liking the buttons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-11-11 06:05 PM
    To each there own. I like the buttons in the recent pics.
    05-11-11 06:40 PM
    Boooo. Flat, flush buttons woulda been better imo. Sure they're not as "tactile" but at least they would have served the same purpose while looking sexier at the same time.

I really hope BGR is wrong.
    05-11-11 06:45 PM
    Boooo. Flat, flush buttons woulda been better imo. Sure they're not as "tactile" but at least they would have served the same purpose while looking sexier at the same time.

I really hope BGR is wrong.
    I care more about functional than sex appeal, and the separated buttons are more functional than the completely flatface single piece button, I wouldn't mind them being flush, just want them to not be unibody
    05-11-11 07:26 PM
    I also prefer the look of the flat buttons we have seen in the last few phones. That said, on rare but frustrating occasion I find that they don't seem to responsive on my Torch. I've always been unsure if this is the OS or something physical about the phone. Nonetheless it may prove to be a positibe. My main concern would be that it makes the phone appear a touch dated.
    05-11-11 08:13 PM
    Yeah. I get where you guys are saying function over form but I dunno. The appearance is important to me too. Hopefully its less noticeable in person. The trackpad is already adding more to make it less minimalist. The buttons add even more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 08:32 PM
    i dont hate buttons but im not a fan of them given the design. a touch device like this one should just work like the curve 9330. it keeps it clean and simple just like the iphone... buttons are redundant on a device that rim wants u to effectively touch to input ur requests.... buttons make rim look "not so confident" in its own technology
    05-12-11 01:41 AM
    buttons are redundant on a device that rim wants u to effectively touch to input ur requests.... buttons make rim look "not so confident" in its own technology
    If they improve the usability of the design then buttons are clearly not redundant.

As far as the actual design of them, if you look at some of the pictures, you can see that the curve at the bottom of the phone starts right after those buttons and the trackpad so maybe they are more reliable than a strip of buttons while still allowing them to keep the actual front of the phone as one piece instead of having that split just below the buttons like on the storms.
    05-12-11 02:53 AM
    Barf. Way to go and ruin the design. I was really looking forward to this phone, now I don't know.
    05-12-11 07:31 AM
    OK women won't find you sexy because your phone isn't. Can we say shallow. But everyone has their own preferences.

BTW how sexy are your cars, clothes and everything else in your life? Actually I find people sexy not objects.
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    05-12-11 07:53 AM
    OK women won't find you sexy because your phone isn't. Can we say shallow. But everyone has their own preferences.

BTW how sexy are your cars, clothes and everything else in your life? Actually I find people sexy not objects.

I could carry a brick and still look sexy

depth is over rated? way harder to drown in a shallow puddle than a deep ocean
    05-12-11 07:56 AM
    oh....I prefer buttons....I like to push them...
    Isn't that the perogative of a lady?

05-12-11 03:28 PM
    You know, I have a comeback for that....
    Too bad we have to behave....

Howevah.....I would say that I've heard that some Torches are having the one piece of plastic come off. That would really get me upset. And I do prefer pushing buttons.
    05-12-11 04:16 PM
    I honestly dont care how it looks, rather how it reacts......simple as that. Some of ya....I swear, lol!
    05-12-11 11:32 PM

Ahh come onn... it's not about impressing others with it. I can't just prefer to have my phone be more attractive to me? I really doubt the average person will even tell the difference. But I will!

I like the things I buy to look good, whether it's my car, laptop, tv, phone, etc. It's not shallow, it's buying something that had a good designer who put thought and appreciation into its appearance. I use these things everyday and see them regularly.

Having said that, I believe there should be a good balance of form and functionality as well.
    Here's a great example of that....

So if the protruding buttons work much better and are more sturdy, go for it.

Now....how many people would buy the Bold 9900/9300 if it looked like this?

Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 05-13-11 at 01:34 AM.
    05-13-11 01:30 AM
    OMG...I tried out that thing one day at the Verizon store in Union Station because some were saying that it was the same exact keyboard as a BB...it is NOT!!! I don't know whether it was the straight across design with no angle or just the feel of the keys but it was hideous.
    The phone feels unbalanced. I think it was comparable in size to the Torch with the tray open, but it just felt awful.
    When I first saw the picture I thought "Sure, I'd buy this!" After holding it, nah...I do agree, though, that how a phone looks matters somewhat. My favourite BB was my little burgundy 8310. Will hold out for a white 9900 and a red Torch 2.
    05-13-11 07:19 AM

So if the protruding buttons work much better and are more sturdy, go for it.

Now....how many people would buy the Bold 9900/9300 if it looked like this?

I would definitely buy a phone that looked like that
    05-13-11 08:56 AM
    the droid pro just doesnt quite fit in. Its a decent first attempt to go head to head with BB but never really caught on. I am sure there will be more of these out though and improvements on all will be made. the look is pretty good but i dont think many like the feel as mentioned above
    05-13-11 09:05 AM
    I use my trackpad 10 times as much as my touch screen on my torch. I just can't see how one can manipulate excel files on a sud 5" sceen without the fine motor control a track pad brings

That Droid Pro was just Horrible to use. And the micro USB placement was even worse than that of my Torch. Making the device a challenge to use when charging. Which is comical do to how often one has to charge it

05-13-11 09:06 AM
    I liked the pro. Yes it needs a trackpad and there were many flaws, but for a first gen Blackberry warrior, it's pretty nice.
    05-13-11 09:21 AM
    Having said that, I believe there should be a good balance of form and functionality as well.
    Here's a great example of that....

What good is something beautiful if it burns to the ground because of design defect?

That is the same car, all were recalled because of defect.
    05-13-11 10:02 AM
    What good is something beautiful if it burns to the ground because of design defect?
    Yeah but it looked good doing it.
    05-13-11 11:09 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD