Just saw a small memo from a contact in the CRTC. Maybe just a request for information. Then again.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 10:13 AM
    Would be interesting to see them go in as a joint venture with Verizon for Wind Mobile or another Canadian Carrier. They dont have the cash to really do much on their own.

I am NOT saying this is a good idea, just interesting.

Moved to news and rumors.
    00stryder and Corbu like this.
    08-13-13 10:15 AM
    Not sure what they would gain with this action.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-13-13 10:19 AM
    They could own the network and thus have their own plans ect, and earn lots of revenue

I don't see this happening but you never know

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047
    08-13-13 10:38 AM
    Stop having the extra charge for BlackBerry data plans?
    BBM only service, no SMS message for a cheaper rate?
    BBM voice and video via wi-fi anywhere for less voice cost?

Might be more beneficial to the consumer.
    08-13-13 10:41 AM
    Now, that was an AWESOME analogy lorax 1284!!! LMAO!

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1047
    08-13-13 11:34 AM
    Just saw a small memo from a contact in the CRTC. Maybe just a request for information. Then again.

Posted via CB10
    There might be a plan to create buzz anyway they can right now.

To buy and then utilize the cell spectrum would be a questionable way to spend what cash BBRY has right now.
    08-13-13 11:43 AM
    It's like gm buying the 407 etr in Ontario. Doesn't make much sense at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 12:01 PM
    Instant OTA updates with no (US) carrier meddling, DUH!

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    Forj77 and DJM626 like this.
    08-13-13 12:06 PM
    Could be a QNX acquisition. Having a dedicated cell spectrum for cars to connect to would be a real plus for automakers that don't want to deal with the hassle of a carrier. Also, BlackBerry could sell them a wide range of services the computer hooks up to (i.e. diagnostics or OTA updates). Now saying it out loud it actually sounds like a good move.
    08-13-13 12:09 PM
    Private networking. That would be my first guess. Maybe there own MPLS network?
    08-13-13 12:11 PM
    Anyone think this will help in the USA? I don't. I think the only thing that might help here is a different name that no one know was blackberry but the OS would have to be stable and have the apps. Oops, long way to go yet.
    Blacklatino and anon(1852343) like this.
    08-13-13 12:13 PM
    Me neither. Owning a carrier makes little sense. Opening BlackBerry branded "Wireless Wave" or "Telephone Booth" stores (you know, those stores that sell devices on all carriers and make their money off commissions offered by the carriers for selling services?)

Why doesn't BlackBerry partner with a company that does this type of thing (there are two such chains I'm aware of, excluding Radio Shack, WalMart, Best Buy etc. that also do this) continues to baffle me.

BlackBerry could have a store that would sell hardware and whatever carrier the customer wants, they could sign them up and make the profit just like Best Buy or whomever else would, but there would be PROPERLY TRAINED STAFF WHO WOULDN'T TRY TO TALK CUSTOMERS OUT OF IT!

The sign over the kiosk would say "Confused by all the trash-talk about BlackBerry? Get the truth HERE!".
    All's you would have is kiosk's taking up space gathering dust. Although maybe you could put up a few of those inflatable wavy arm dudes to advertise. Even that would be better than what they currently have..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    08-13-13 12:31 PM
    They would essentially be the "most secure" carrier out there
    I think a lot of people would actually go for it assuming they knock down prices
    08-13-13 12:34 PM
    Yea I agree could be a qnx thing

Posted via CB10
    StormieTwo likes this.
    08-13-13 12:42 PM
    I think a lot of people would actually go for it assuming they knock down prices
    Well they've been the most secure cell phone forever and that hasn't seemed to help them now has it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Blacklatino and JeepBB like this.
    08-13-13 12:49 PM
    Could be a QNX acquisition. Having a dedicated cell spectrum for cars to connect to would be a real plus for automakers that don't want to deal with the hassle of a carrier. Also, BlackBerry could sell them a wide range of services the computer hooks up to (i.e. diagnostics or OTA updates). Now saying it out loud it actually sounds like a good move.
    This is a really cool idea/explanation for this (if it's true).
    StormieTwo likes this.
    08-13-13 01:00 PM
    Why would it be any more secure? It would be the same technology everyone else is using. Of course the same is true of BB10 but that doesn't seem to stop the bald assertions that it's somehow safer just because there is a BlackBerry sticker on it.
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    08-13-13 01:05 PM
    All's you would have is kiosk's taking up space gathering dust.
    The alternative is devices on display in stores where the staff are actually HOSTILE to the product. If you can think of a better solution, you should send it to BlackBerry. No one said it would be easy or just pop up the kiosk and it'll work magic, it'll still take advertising and effort, but the business model will be a store FULL of BB product and accessories AND knowledgeable staff AND when a device is sold BlackBerry gets the revenue from signing up the customer on a carrier plan. It seems to sustain those stores just fine.

If it comes right down to it: Don't brand the stores as "blackberry" stores... but BlackBerry Inc. owns the stores and sells the devices and TRAINS THE STAFF and the staff have a pro-BlackBerry bias... AND even offers Android or iOS devices if necessary, but at least you'll have a carrier store that KNOWS BlackBerry and puts it at the top of the heap.

They did this? They all failed miserably in the US at least
    They did it with crappy devices. They have excellent devices now, burdened with the reputation of the crap of yesteryear.

If they did it now, customers would walk out of the store either with a BlackBerry 10 device, or a much improved impression of BlackBerry devices.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 08-13-13 at 04:41 PM.
    KermEd likes this.
    08-13-13 03:04 PM
    What if Blackberry has sold western gov'ts on the idea of providing/selling Blackberry exclusive global spectrum, one dedicated to transportation only (ie. auto's, trucks, trailers etc) and perhaps one or two others dedicated to gov't? There are all kinds of ways this could generate hardware and software sales and recurring revenue......
    08-13-13 04:51 PM
    It's like gm buying the 407 etr in Ontario. Doesn't make much sense at all.

Posted via CB10
    Let me explain it this way...

The Highway 407 ETR is a transportation route, specifically a roadway, for motor vehicles. This ties in with the 'Motors" part of General Motors. If the motor vehicles of any manufacturer is permitted access to Highway 407 ETR, the user base increases significantly rather than limiting access to only the motor vehicles offered by General Motors. This ties in with the 'General' part of General Motors. Hence General Motors buying and operating the Highway 407 ETR in the Province of Ontario, Canada, makes financial sense. Sponsor's Message: This message brought to you by the residents of "Sesame Street".
    notfanboy likes this.
    08-13-13 05:46 PM
    Probably for QNX to push updates to cars. Manufacturers will pay fees to push updates to their vehicles over BBRY networks.

Posted via CB10
    StormieTwo likes this.
    08-13-13 09:01 PM
    Whatever they do in the long run, I just want to see them SURVIVE! I can not imagine using any other phone except a BB. This phone can definitely stand on it's own, and there is just a certain "classiness" that you do not get on any other platform. It is truly theirs. To some, it might not be ground breaking compared to other phones and platforms, but in the end, it always does what I want it to do. Isn't that the main reason for buying a phone, because it works for you?

Things can only continue to improve with 10.2 and future builds, This platform has really come a long way, and it really seems like our input is starting to matter as far as some of the things we would like to see. Seems to be progressing at a pretty impressive pace IMHO
    Forj77 and LazyEvul like this.
    08-13-13 10:08 PM
    Own your own carrier, leverage BES and do MDM hosting for small business?

I figure Verizon will eventually take over the small business MDM space in the USA. I just hope they select BES when they do so.

If Blackberry is not in talks with Verizon already over this, I'd be shocked.
    08-13-13 10:15 PM
    Although I doubt that Blackberry could become a full carrier now, I do see huge potential in this.

Blackberry has great compression technology. If they could combine their compression with voice calls, then they could probably price things cheaper than other networks. And phone carriers can make some huge profits (think Carlos Slim).

It's not a big leap for a phone company with a network to become a carrier.

The obstacles are that this would require lots of money at the start, the network would need to be fail-proof, and they would instantly lose their credibility with the established carriers.

All-in-all, the cell spectrum is more likely for QNX in cars..... at least for the present time.
    StormieTwo likes this.
    08-14-13 07:32 AM
33 12