Interesting article from Reuters regarding Security features of RIM that could lead to "salvation".
    Also, if you read carefully, you might notice this :
    At a current valuation of less than $6 billion, a fraction of its 2008 peak of $84 billion, RIM might look cheap to a company such as International Business Machines Corp (NYS:IBM - News). IBM could use RIM's assets to expand corporate services on to mobile platforms, said Northern Securities analyst Sameet Kanade.
    The full story here : Analysis: Security features offer RIM a fragile lifeline - Yahoo! Finance

Nice to see - at last - informations about the immersed part of the RIM's iceberg:services. It's not only all about devices ... nice to read.
    05-23-12 02:27 AM
    It's easy to spend other people's money.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    05-23-12 03:16 AM
    Said it before and I'll say it again, The MapleLaughs will leave TO before RIM is allowed to be bought by an American company lol...
    Knightcrawler, Masahiro and bbmtna like this.
    05-23-12 03:33 AM
    Said it before and I'll say it again, The MapleLaughs will leave TO before RIM is allowed to be bought by an American company lol...
    Canadian gov said that they won't interfere ... if the only salvation strategy is takeover/participation ...
    05-23-12 03:38 AM
    RIM doesnt need a buy out. They aren't losing money, they continue to grow even now without BB10.
    05-23-12 08:27 AM
    Do not forget the security side of the article ! (I know my title was bad ... sry).
    05-23-12 08:38 AM
    New buy-out rumor - stock's gonna pop! Oh wait ... it's down again.

RIM doesnt need a buy out. They aren't losing money, they continue to grow even now without BB10.
    When it comes to mergers and such, sometimes profitability doesn't matter. If an acquiring entity wants to get into a target entity's game and they have enough cash to throw at it, anything can happen, even if it is not in the best interests of that target entity itself.

However, despite all the rumored prospective buyers - or even partnerships - no one has yet to demonstrate a suitable business for whom acquiring or partnering with RIM makes good strategic sense. Samsung looks like the most workable and beneficial partnership, but a lot of that depends on Google's future plans for Android. Other than that, so far potential buyers are either already in the same market (I.e., Microsoft), making an acquisition of RIM mostly redundant, or simply not in a market where there's any useful synergy with RIM's business and assets (I.e., Amazon). But IBM, now there's a possibility I hadn't considered.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-23-12 08:48 AM
    Canadian gov said that they won't interfere ... if the only salvation strategy is takeover/participation ...
    Yea.. right.. lol..
    05-23-12 02:59 PM
    IBM or Cisco would make sense as potential buyers. BES would fit into their enterprise network solutions.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-23-12 03:02 PM
    you would then kiss the phone business goodbye if that happens. IBM is not in the hardware market, maybe they will sell the BB10 platform to Lenovo lol.
    05-23-12 03:19 PM
    The services and OS might be worth more than the hardware.

05-23-12 03:23 PM
    New buy-out rumor - stock's gonna pop! Oh wait ... it's down again.

When it comes to mergers and such, sometimes profitability doesn't matter. If an acquiring entity wants to get into a target entity's game and they have enough cash to throw at it, anything can happen, even if it is not in the best interests of that target entity itself.

However, despite all the rumored prospective buyers - or even partnerships - no one has yet to demonstrate a suitable business for whom acquiring or partnering with RIM makes good strategic sense. Samsung looks like the most workable and beneficial partnership, but a lot of that depends on Google's future plans for Android. Other than that, so far potential buyers are either already in the same market (I.e., Microsoft), making an acquisition of RIM mostly redundant, or simply not in a market where there's any useful synergy with RIM's business and assets (I.e., Amazon). But IBM, now there's a possibility I hadn't considered.
    I flat disagree that another handset maker would make the most compelling buyer for RIM. I'm a lot more intrigued by the prospect of a services company (IBM, Oracle, maybe even Cisco), for whom the enterprise platform would be useful.

Trouble with that is, the handsets may or may not be attractive for such a buyer.
    05-23-12 03:48 PM
    If that did happen, the OS could always be licensed to handset makers. A Samsung device running BB10 would probably be stellar.

05-23-12 04:06 PM
    IBM or Cisco would make sense as potential buyers. BES would fit into their enterprise network solutions.

I would not mind seeing RIM selectively license BB10 for use by Cisco/IBM/Oracle and others in specific enterprise hardware. Well in effect they already do this with QNX. But something broader and with BlackBerry 10.
    Last edited by southlander; 05-23-12 at 04:41 PM.
    05-23-12 04:29 PM
    IBM will never get back into the $500 widgets business.

They may be a lot of things, but stupid, they are not.
    Last edited by CairnsRock; 05-23-12 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo
    05-23-12 04:54 PM

The amount of re-engineering needed to fit CISCO solutions into the existing network connection between Waterloo and every carrier on the planet would be humongous. Although a partnership between RIM and CISCO as a JV to increase capacity (provided by CISCO) into established connections with carriers (already done by RIM) and push tele-presence down the existing infrastructure (developed and maintained by CISCO).

IBM would drop the ball on this and we'd see the lineup trivialized. It would only add to the perception of "BB10 is not worth moving" rather than "IBM doesn't know how to move retail products".

Chatter on the Wire says Amazon was thinking about an approach similar to CISCO; use RIM's extensive network to push content into a healthy phone participation. Seems the problem was around pricing, as it usually happens with Amazon.

Microsoft was just looking for a handset maker interested in licencing the new OS. Once RIM made it clear they had no intention of changing course, MS lost interest.

RIM's greatest value comes from the plethora of contracts and connections it has with every carrier on this planet.

Derailing the OP a bit, I would love to see a BB10 phone with user interface designed by Samsung. TouchWiz has come a long way. Samsung has really harnessed Android's potential and have developed a rather impressive app selection. A stylus-driven BB10 with the apps and features we've seen on the Galaxy Note? Yes please.
    05-23-12 05:41 PM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    IBM would be perfect with RIM ... best option for RIM......and IBM!
    05-24-12 01:29 AM
    IBM would be perfect with RIM ... best option for RIM......and IBM!
    ... they both have massive IT/telco's infrastructures ...
    05-24-12 05:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD