what are the rules for when BB decides to display the red star for the tiny envelope icon on the top?

I find it that sometimes it downs and sometimes it doesn't remove the red star ...

why?

how...

is there a way to completely disable this icon/notification?

thank you...
    PS I"m on 9930 very latest OS 7.1
    02-02-12 02:50 PM
    generally the red "*" icon goes away once you have opened the mail icon in which the new message is, or the main messages icon.

I did however experience similar issues with certain themes before...sorry, but if that's the issue try changing to a different theme or back to the stock theme...

Using the stock theme on my 9900 on 7.1.0.205 and not having any issues with mine...
    02-02-12 09:32 PM
    Open messages, options, message display and actions - display new message indicator. Uncheck the box.
    02-02-12 10:22 PM
    I've had this before too on my Torch, although I've had it with Facebook notifications too.
    As I want to still be informed of new messages, when it happens, I go into the app, select the date at the top, click the menu button and select 'set all previous as read' (or something like that), and the icon disappears.

Si.
    02-03-12 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD