09-07-09 08:04 PM
36 12
tools
    1. Would you buy it? yep, sure would
    2. Would it benefit you and/or your lifestyle? Definitely, I work in Emergency Management out in the elements. I can see a huge upside to it for me.
    3. Would it be a wise choice for the RIM company? Probably so with groups like Baltimore PD buying them in bulk.

It shouldn't be that hard to "ruggedize" a phone as it is. Simply change the case from something more durable like aluminum. Seal the areas with a dust/moisture seal and a membrane behind the keys and over the ports and you're done. The downside is it will definitely be cost prohibitive. All of that costs money to research, etc... and the phone would probably be a cool grand when released.

As Tscharf eluded to an "indestructable" blackberry. No, it would be far from that. Nothing is indestructable. We simply would like to see something a bit more impervious to the elements is all. If I am out in the rain at three a.m. trying to coordinate a search effort, I need my phone to be able to take what I am dishing out not die because it got a drop of water behind the battery door.

Synergie, I'm a bit surprised they even let you bring that on a sub with the camera function on it. Or are you required to have the one without the camera?
    Last edited by gmkahuna; 09-07-09 at 08:34 AM.
    09-07-09 08:30 AM
    I am a service member myself... in the Canadian Navy, I work as a submariner. I use my BB even dived (no wireless of course) to read e-books, and use Office apps, as an MP3 player etc, and trust me, a submarine is NOT a safe place for delicate elentronics!

I made my Blackberry Tour rugged with an OtterBox Defender series case! You should check them out!

I got this one:
    Finally, someone with some common sense...

I'm not trying to Troll here, I just don't understand why you would expect RIM to spend all the money on R&D to develop a product to solve a problem where the solution already exists.
    09-07-09 10:55 AM
    1. Would you buy it? yep, sure would
    2. Would it benefit you and/or your lifestyle? Definitely, I work in Emergency Management out in the elements. I can see a huge upside to it for me.
    3. Would it be a wise choice for the RIM company? Probably so with groups like Baltimore PD buying them in bulk.

It shouldn't be that hard to "ruggedize" a phone as it is. Simply change the case from something more durable like aluminum. Seal the areas with a dust/moisture seal and a membrane behind the keys and over the ports and you're done. The downside is it will definitely be cost prohibitive. All of that costs money to research, etc... and the phone would probably be a cool grand when released.

As Tscharf eluded to an "indestructable" blackberry. No, it would be far from that. Nothing is indestructable. We simply would like to see something a bit more impervious to the elements is all. If I am out in the rain at three a.m. trying to coordinate a search effort, I need my phone to be able to take what I am dishing out not die because it got a drop of water behind the battery door.

Synergie, I'm a bit surprised they even let you bring that on a sub with the camera function on it. Or are you required to have the one without the camera?
    I just can't be taking photos of the sets in the control room with it They trust us enough to know we would never do that. We are allowed to keep stuff like that in the accommodation spaces though (where we eat/sleep etc) I use it mostly in my bunk for reading ebooks, mp3 player etc. Those spaces are still greasy, dusty, grimy, and a fall on to the deck anywhere on there would certainly ding / scratch an unprotected device. Otterbox is a Godsend!
    09-07-09 10:57 AM

I'm not trying to Troll here, I just don't understand why you would expect RIM to spend all the money on R&D to develop a product to solve a problem where the solution already exists.
    he stated he did not want a case. his reasoning i do not know. but one thing i can bet on is a case makes a phone that is already not that small two times bigger. if RIM made a phone more durable it wouldn't be as big as a regular phone plus a case.

as far as why should RIM 'spend all that money' to make a new more durable phone for the likes of people in the army, navy, firefighters, police officers etc.? because it makes sense. because they would get back the money they used to make the more rugged phone ten fold i'd say. also, because it's something the customer wants. isn't that what business' do, make their customers happy?

why should RIM spend the time OR money to make use threaded sms? because some customers want it. why did RIM spend the time and/or money to switch from the trackwheel, to trackball, to trackpad? because it's new and would sell more. why is RIM spending all this money ****ting out new phones every couple months with barely anything new or inventive with them, when they could take some time and make a rugged one, which would sell a lot more blackberries, and be more innovative and useful to even more people.
    ever thought of it like that?
    09-07-09 12:01 PM

Alright, not that I haven't INCREDIBLY enjoyed your condescending tone with your little remarks. Apparently your opinion is all that matters to you .... whereas I on the other hand must be "joking" and have "no common sense". You can remain content with with the fact that you know ALL and in your SAD little world there is NO WAY that I should "EXPECT" RIM should have to spend ALL that money in R&D so they can let another company (otterbox) make profits in a market niche.

Synergie, I believe I addressed the reason in another thread as to why the Otterbox case would pose as a problem for me. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a phenomenal case. Just not quite what I would be looking for.

In any case, I'm done with the matter and done with tscharf. There was a reason why I didn't like to post on forums, thanks for reaffirming why.

To the OP, sorry for the thread jack. I think your topic as more than valid. As to whether it would see the light of day; I wouldn't keep my hopes up, but if it did I'd be down.
    09-07-09 12:12 PM
    Man this discussion cracks me up, have you ever heard of demand and supply? If we want it they should build it, simple as that.
    We're not asking rim to invent the rugged phone, it has been done many times in the past. We're asking rim to build the first rugged smartphone.
    They don't even need to build a new device, just use an existing one and build a new fascia around it. I would say use a 83**s or 88**s. I wonder if anybody would take up the challenge in designing and building replacement fascias for existing models. I would gladly pay 30-50 for one.
    Maybe some people never leave the comfort of their home and they don't need one but the rest of us do, especially those of us with kids

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 12:36 PM
    Alright, not that I haven't INCREDIBLY enjoyed your condescending tone with your little remarks. Apparently your opinion is all that matters to you .... whereas I on the other hand must be "joking" and have "no common sense". You can remain content with with the fact that you know ALL and in your SAD little world there is NO WAY that I should "EXPECT" RIM should have to spend ALL that money in R&D so they can let another company (otterbox) make profits in a market niche.

Synergie, I believe I addressed the reason in another thread as to why the Otterbox case would pose as a problem for me. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a phenomenal case. Just not quite what I would be looking for.

In any case, I'm done with the matter and done with tscharf. There was a reason why I didn't like to post on forums, thanks for reaffirming why.

To the OP, sorry for the thread jack. I think your topic as more than valid. As to whether it would see the light of day; I wouldn't keep my hopes up, but if it did I'd be down.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. What good would the discussion be if everyone just agreed?

As for the "joking" remark, I said that because you gave the most ridiculous examples for why someone would need a "rugged" blackberry.

I get the niche market idea for police, firefighters, etc, but the silly crap you mentioned like using your ELECTRONIC device in the rain, jumping over fences, and running through dark alleys... c'mon.
    09-07-09 02:33 PM
    I have needed mine IN THE RAIN. I work in Emergency Management and am not always privy to a dry place to answer it right away. I am the one who gets send out in the bad crap to start organizing debris removal and recovery often times in the middle of the storms. I have to stop what I am doing, go find a tree or shelter then answer the thing. It would be a lot easier if I could just answer it where I stand. The problem for me is I also need the extended battery and NOBODY has come up with a cover to fit over that setup yet. I'm hoping Seidio will at some point.
    09-07-09 04:42 PM
    I think a beefy BB would be great. Plus they would make the insides more shock resistant! That would benefit almost everyone! Good idea!
    09-07-09 06:42 PM
    I would be one of first in line. Being a firefighter, medic, and technical rescue instructor I would love one. I have trashed phones especially ones with sliding qwerty's (concrete dust mixed with moisture =bad combo). I think RIM would do very well with this product. Otter boxes just make the phone to big when crawling around a debris field and for off duty wear.

09-07-09 07:23 PM
    1. I would absolutely buy it.
    2. I work in the sanitation business and my bold just doesn't cut it without an Otterbox and they stretch and break every month.
    3. Of course it would benefit RIM, stronger, tougher, always sells. Everyone I know in this business has that verizon phone you spoke of..it can be thrown into a wall and survive.

09-07-09 08:04 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD