09-07-09 08:04 PM
36 12
tools
    So, I was walking through Verizon today with my Blackberry Storm and I picked up one of their PTT (push-to-talk) phones, the boulder. Anyway, as a member of the US Navy Spec Ops team, I began to think about how totally awesome it would be if RIM developed a rugged Blackberry device. It would, of course, have to have all of the main BB features that oh-so-many of us have come to love and cherish (which some of us even depend on), but it would also be able to stand up to the toughest tests of phone endurance.
    Not only would it be the first smart phone of its kind (yet another triumph for RIM), but no longer would we have to worry about being so delicate with our beloved BB's. we could take our phones to the beach and not have to worry about sand and waves! OR! Better yet, for service members, cops, firefighters, and so many more like myself, we would be able to have a phone that fits even more perfectly into our chaotic lifestyles while still maintaining RIM's famously user-friendly BB operating system!
    How cool would that be? So, basically what I want to know is:

1. Would you buy it?
    2. Would it benefit you and/or your lifestyle?
    3. Would it be a wise choice for the RIM company?

Simply blog back and lemme hear all your ideas and input! It doesn't have to be a simple yes or know. I am more interested to know why you would/wouldn't like it or use it.
    And I'm talking about more than just an otterbox. I mean the phone itself would be water-resistant and shock-resistant, rather than buying a phone case that, for me, always seems to break off or fall apart at the most inconvenient times.
    Last edited by spree1221; 09-04-09 at 10:07 PM. Reason: To clarify what i'm looking for
    09-04-09 06:32 PM
    Did you want to post a Yes/No poll here?

If so, you might be able to Edit your post, and go to the following option, near the bottom:
    Post a Poll
    Yes, post a poll with this thread
    Number of poll options: (Maximum: 10)
    09-04-09 06:47 PM
    Perhaps they could use an OtterBox style housing and make it fully customizable and special order.
    09-04-09 06:52 PM
    If RIM created one they would probably attract most of the law enforcement, fire department, construction industry, military, etc business. I'd get it probably...and it doesn't have to have all the "bells and whistles", just the important stuff.
    09-04-09 06:54 PM
    1. Would you buy it? No
    2. Would it benefit you and/or your lifestyle? No
    3. Would it be a wise choice for the RIM company? No, they need to stop releasing new devices. They need to have 2 or 3 in their lineup and get their butts to work on the software.
    09-04-09 06:55 PM
    I think it's a great idea. I have an otterbox on my 8120 and would love to see RIM develop hardware that is less delicate. I'm an analyst which is clearly not a career that requires protection for my phone. However, I personally like well built hardware when it comes to phones and prefer something like the otterbox construction.
    09-04-09 07:25 PM
    I would like such a device, and I would buy it (or upgrade to it) if I could afford it. (Let's not forget that Panasonic Toughbooks are considerably more expensive than most laptops.) And I like that RIM focuses on hardware. (I don't want my Bb to be like an Apple product. I don't really care for Apple or its "i"-this or "i"-that products.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 07:26 PM
    1. Would you buy it? Heck Ya

2. Would it benefit you and/or your lifestyle? Yes. I've ruined so many phones by dropping or submerging them.

3. Would it be a wise choice for the RIM company? Dunno
    09-04-09 07:41 PM
    I probably wouldn't buy it. I feel that there are eneough products available to protect your BlackBerry such as the OtterBox, or other similar products, also various skins are available that help protect your BB.
    09-04-09 07:45 PM
    I probably wouldn't buy it myself, but I think it would be a huge seller for RIM. I can ruggedize my BlackBerry enough for my yuppie lifestyle with just a skin case and leather belt pouch. But every EMT, policeman, etc., would probably have one.
    09-04-09 08:28 PM
    YES i would get it in a heart beat, would never have to worry about getting it wet or dusty on the golf course...and heck yes RIM would benifit
    09-04-09 09:01 PM
    I would definitely pick one up I'm very hard on phones and have a problem with dropping them

09-04-09 09:20 PM
    Not so much ruggedized but waterproof I need. I work on a honda st1100 motorcycle all day delivering urgent packages. I use a bluetooth headset for talking but a few times a day I need to pull over and respond to emails. It would be cool not to have to look for cover first if it's raining and let's face it, it's always raining in Ireland

There's a reason for all the green

There won't be a waterproof cover as long as the trackball will be exposed.

Enter trackpad, I asked the guys in the 8520 section to test if it's working with plastic over the pad and the answer is yes, so pretty soon there will be a waterproof cover for blackberrys.

09-05-09 02:39 AM
    I think I would prefer the handy type but not those handy type that would easily break. I think it would be best if they'll provide add-ons like casing so that it can be brought any place you wanted.
    09-05-09 03:07 AM
    As a member of law enforcement I would seriously consider a ruggedized BB.
    09-05-09 12:46 PM
    i would definitely get a waterproof bb! omg, i hate having to stick my bb in my jacket/shirt/pocket @ the last minute whenever theres a slight drizzle. or not being able ping and bbm while the showers on for fear of steam counting as "water damage" lol! i think ive dropped my bb once, but for some reason it falls off my couch onto the carpet everyday. a rugged bb would def be beneficial for RIM like the other user said cops, firefighters, military, construction workers soooo many people could find this useful. this is an awesome idea!!!
    09-06-09 12:36 PM
    I ruggedized my storm with a silicon cover.
    09-06-09 01:40 PM
    Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP is lobbying for a more rugged BB device but they are using a Storm???

Honestly, I don't see how they can make the BB any more rugged than it already is. For people that are worried about damaging their blackberries, they already came up with a solution for this forever ago. There are countless choices out there of cases, etc.

Personally, I think the rugged blackberry idea is dumb. Just my 2 cents...
    09-06-09 05:48 PM
    As the OP stated, he wasnt interested in bulky awkward cases that fail at inopportune moments. Those working in harsh environments have it tough since murphy's law is a way of life.

The idea of a rugged ANYTHING device has its benefits. I would go for one. ALTHOUGH, i wouldnt want it as my everyday device since rugged ANYTHING is synonymous with ginormous and bulky. Would be nice if you can just swap out the SIM card like in GSM devices and have a rugged device for work and a regular device for everything else. I hated carrying around 2 phones ... Nextel days .... i kno lots of people who still carry 2 phones .... and normally its a combination of a bb and another phone, it would still drive me nuts.
    09-06-09 07:27 PM
    The freaking thing is made out of plastic! How much more rugged can you get???

Does RIM need to make a BB surrounded by an inch thick layer of high density foam?

Is this your idea of a rugged Blackberry?

Amazon.com: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Digital Camera Blue [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]: Toys & Games
    09-07-09 01:43 AM
    Well apparently you havent had the pleasure of rolling with someone in the rain or jumping over fences in dark backyards and alleyways chasing someone. Plastic has the wonderful habit of being smashed into things and turning into a bunch useless bits. How rugged is a Swatch watch as opposed to a Gshock .... both made of plastic.
    Just because you never had (or probably will ever have) a use for a tougher BB doesnt mean other people wouldnt absolutely have use for a device like this.
    09-07-09 02:07 AM
    Well apparently you havent had the pleasure of rolling with someone in the rain or jumping over fences in dark backyards and alleyways chasing someone. Plastic has the wonderful habit of being smashed into things and turning into a bunch useless bits. How rugged is a Swatch watch as opposed to a Gshock .... both made of plastic.
    Just because you never had (or probably will ever have) a use for a tougher BB doesnt mean other people wouldnt absolutely have use for a device like this.
    so let me get this straight, RIM is supposed to make a Blackberry that can be used while "rolling in the rain", jumping over fences in dark back yards and alleyways, and being able to withstand being smashed up against things?

Basically you want an indestructible blackberry???

Is this a joke?
    09-07-09 02:17 AM
    I am a service member myself... in the Canadian Navy, I work as a submariner. I use my BB even dived (no wireless of course) to read e-books, and use Office apps, as an MP3 player etc, and trust me, a submarine is NOT a safe place for delicate elentronics!

I made my Blackberry Tour rugged with an OtterBox Defender series case! You should check them out!

I got this one:
    Last edited by Synergie; 09-07-09 at 03:00 AM.
    09-07-09 02:45 AM
    tscharf, No one ever said anything about an "indestructable" blackberry ... but the realities of some jobs out there are what SOME people need to face. And there are some companies that DO attempt to cater to these markets. Just because you have no use for something like this, doesnt mean there aren't people who could have a use for it.

So what would be the problem if RIM made a device in similar effect to this?:

Casio Cell Phone Home Page: The G'zOne Is One Tough Cell Phone

and you dont have to start off with the fact that it isnt a smartphone or something to that effect. It's an example that there is a market for those that would benefit from a tougher device. Something that can take a bump or two and keep ticking.

How is it that you want to express your opinion then ask if someone elses opinion is a joke? Please do enlighten me...
    09-07-09 03:13 AM
    No offense, but just because you don't need one doesn't mean we don't. We would like one model to be ruggedized not all rim makes. Personally I need one waterproof or splash proof at least.
    I assume it would cost a bit extra but I would gladly pay it just for pace of mind.

09-07-09 03:40 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD