Whenever I attempt to use the Roxio Media Manager program, I get a 'Runtime Error' and a message to Abort. As a result, I can not remove/transfer pictures or documents to/from my BB Storm.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions on how to correct it? I've already tried completing re-installing the BB Desktop Software with the Media Manager program. The problem is still there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    09-18-09 05:03 AM
    Mass Storage Mode lets you drag and drop files to/from your computer to your BlackBerry Media Card. You enable it as follows:

Options / Memory
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop. For most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager.
    09-18-09 05:30 AM
    Thanks for the quick response, Jeff. I did as you suggested. However, I'm now getting a 'Debug Error' with an 'abnormal program termination' error.

What am I doing wrong?
    09-18-09 05:58 AM
    When are you getting that error? During a drag and drop? Or at some other time? Are you running other apps at the same time?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 06:31 AM
    I'm getting the 'Debug' and 'Abnormal Termination' error immediately upon startup.

*sorry for the tardy response. I was at work all day and our firewall prevents me from accessing this site. *
    09-18-09 05:25 PM
    Upon startup of Mass Storage Mode? The error messages don't make sense in the context of Mass Storage Mode. Is something else starting?

09-18-09 05:31 PM
    Let me backtrack.....going back to your first post, you said:
    Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer

I followed the commands you listed, plugged my Blackberry in, but no prompt showed up. So I went into Media Manager through the desktop software. When it loads this way, is when the error shows up.

Does that make any sense?
    09-18-09 05:38 PM
    That probably explains the error messages. You don't want to be running Media Manager and Mass Storage Mode at the same time. Exit Desktop Manager. Then plug the BlackBerry in viA USB. If you don't get prompted to run Mass Storage Mode, recheck the settings I gave you. I use the version of DM that doesn't include Media Manager.

09-18-09 06:02 PM
    Hmmm....it's not showing up on 'My Computer', and I'm still not getting a prompt. What could the problem be?
    09-18-09 06:31 PM
    Try a different USB port. If you are going thru a USB expander, unplug it and go directly into the USB port. Unplug any other USB devices. If you are on a network with a large number of drive letters in use, dismount any that you can, or disconnect from the network.
    09-18-09 06:42 PM
    Ok, I've tried several different USB port, and I'm still not getting the prompt.
    09-18-09 08:05 PM
    Have you checked your settings in Device Manager on the PC? Click Universal Serial Bus controllers, then click USB Root Hub. Click Power Management. Make sure the box Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is not checked.

09-18-09 08:12 PM
    I went into 'Control Panel', but I don't see a 'Device Manager' or a USB Controller. Which means I'm looking in the wrong place?
    09-19-09 07:02 AM
    I went into 'Control Panel', but I don't see a 'Device Manager' or a USB Controller. Which means I'm looking in the wrong place?
    Right-click on My Computer (or Computer if using Vista), click Properties, then Device Manager.
    09-19-09 08:28 AM
    Do you have a media card installed?

If not, that would explain the lack of response when you connect it directly to the computer.

Roxio Media Manager is an optional component in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, it is not included with the CD Tools version, you need to download a seperate version directly from BlackBerry support.
    09-19-09 08:45 AM
    Right-click on My Computer (or Computer if using Vista), click Properties, then Device Manager.

Ok, I did this. Apparently, I have 5 USB Root Hubs. I clicked on each one, and the box marked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was checked on all 5. I have unchecked them. Unplugged, and re-plugged my Blackberry into my computer, but it is still not showing up in 'My Computer'. Do I need to restart the computer for the new settings to take effect?

Again, thank you all so much for your help. I really do appreciate your patience through this very trying process.

*edited to add*Yes, we have a media card installed.
    Last edited by Thutmosis; 09-19-09 at 09:56 AM.
    09-19-09 09:54 AM
    Can you see your media card with the Media App on the BlackBerry when you are not plugged into the PC? If you look in Options / Memory, what is shown for Total Space and Free Space?
    09-19-09 10:57 AM
    Application MemoryFree Space: 16.9MB

Device Memory
    Total Space: 879.2 MB
    Free Space: 862.7

Media Card
    Total Space: 7.3 GB
    Free Space: 7.3 GB

Is the Media App you are referring to 'App World'?
    09-19-09 07:03 PM
    No, the Media App is the icon named Media. It's probably on your home screen. If you click on it, then Menu / Explore, can you see the contents of your Media Card?
    09-19-09 09:01 PM
    Yes, I can see it, access it with no problems.
    09-19-09 09:18 PM
    I'm stumped. Are you sure you have the media card settings correct? Try changing "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" from "Prompt" to "Yes" and see if that makes a difference when you plug it in.
    09-19-09 09:28 PM
    I'm stumped. Are you sure you have the media card settings correct? Try changing "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" from "Prompt" to "Yes" and see if that makes a difference when you plug it in.
    I double-checked, and changed it from 'Prompt' to 'Yes'. My computer is still not reading my phone.

Just to be sure the ports are in working order, I put my jump drive in all my ports, and my computer was able to read them with no problems. So the problem is definitly with the phone.

Could it be a setting on the desktop software that is interferring with it?

You had also mentioned that you did not use the BB Desktop Software (I think). Is there another (better?) software to use with a BB Storm?
    09-20-09 08:23 AM
    I use the version of Desktop Manager that does not include Media Manager. I use Mass Storage Mode to manage media, which is mostly just files and pictures in my case. If Desktop Manager is not running, it should not be interfering with Mass Storage Mode. You have exited Desktop Manager, correct?
    09-20-09 08:36 AM
    Yes, I have exited Desktop Manager.

I wonder --should I remove the current version of Desktop Manager with the Media Manager, and install the Media Manager without it? Do you think that might make a difference?
    09-20-09 08:41 AM
    You could try uninstalling DM and installing the version that does not include Media Manager. I'm unaware of a version of Media Manager that you can install independent of DM.

09-20-09 08:45 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD