02-04-13 10:37 AM
142 1234 ...
tools
    Lol. Look at these idiots. My mother is 57 and navigates her Lumia 920 like a boss.
    ......and whats wrong with being 57?
    01-31-13 03:40 PM
    So that video shows that some IPhone and Android users aren't the smartest and the use of that study was???
    If they are iPhone users they are automatically in the lower third of the IQ graph. The BB10 may just be too hard for them.
    Stop.

Being an iPhone user does not make you dumb. It's called preference. I have used, Blackberry, Windows, Android, and I'm currently using an iPhone. I just so happen to like Blackberry the best. Don't go bashing other playforms just because they're not Blackberry and or because you haven't tried them.

As I've stated, I've used Android before, but trying to use my sisters note 2 is always a little confusing for me because I'm not used to it. That's why when you power up phones for the first time, you usually get a quick tutorial on how to use it properly.
    01-31-13 03:44 PM
    Has anyone ever heard of the term "learning curve"? Thats with all "new" ....anything. Sometimes I just ......wonder.
    Apparently it's only worth LEARNING if it's not from Blackberry. We need new blood cause the old "tech blog/site" guard just isn't being honest of competent anymore at doing their job.
    01-31-13 03:45 PM
    Stop.

Being an iPhone user does not make you dumb. It's called preference. I have used, Blackberry, Windows, Android, and I'm currently using an iPhone. I just so happen to like Blackberry the best. Don't go bashing other playforms just because they're not Blackberry and or because you haven't tried them.

As I've stated, I've used Android before, but trying to use my sisters note 2 is always a little confusing for me because I'm not used to it. That's why when you power up phones for the first time, you usually get a quick tutorial on how to use it properly.
    it doesnt make them dumb, it seems to make them unwilling to learn something new.
    Spencerdl and Bobcat665 like this.
    01-31-13 03:46 PM
    OMG iPhone was so much different from anything else how will people figure it out. Android is different from iPhone how will people figure it out. WP8 is so much different how will anyone figure it out. It ain't rocket science and doesn't take months or weeks to learn the basics.
    01-31-13 03:46 PM
    for a Hub access tutorial, Blackberry needs to come up with a commercial that mimics the thumbs natural movement path (for right-handed people) when holding the phone one handed.

I'm thinking of a scene in a zoo, where someone drops their phone in front of the monkey cage. Monkey picks up phone, sees red light, uses opposable thumb to swipe up and to the right, gets e-mail banana
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    01-31-13 03:53 PM
    Don't call me a basher. I'm still unable to operate properly an iPhone or I pad. Just because I use if only in emergency case or to help buddies stuck with the system. This is my fault : I'm not a donkey, I just didn't read nor view any instructions.
    info600 likes this.
    01-31-13 03:56 PM
    it doesnt make them dumb, it seems to make them unwilling to learn something new.
    I just said I'm using an iPhone as well, I have no problem learning something new. So please stop with your broad generalizations.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-31-13 04:00 PM
    BB10 is not hard. C'mon. it is different. First time I handled a Playbook, I floundered, but I got to understand it, and like it. I actually use gestures (on-screen) on mtoy current device.

As already noted, there is a learning curve for all systems. Still, the commentary with regards to iPhone users being less smart than others is unfortunate and rude.
    EsJayDee, Spencerdl and mikeo007 like this.
    01-31-13 04:00 PM
    Makes you wonder if Mashable told these people to act like they couldn't figure things out. God forbid if/when the iOS changes its interface.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-31-13 04:04 PM
    Anyone could just prompt the user about bezel swiping as a clue. That would be enough to get the basic ins and outs quickly.
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    01-31-13 04:06 PM
    BB10 is not hard. C'mon. it is different. First time I handled a Playbook, I floundered, but I got to understand it, and like it. I actually use gestures (on-screen) on mtoy current device.
    When my wife hands me her iPad, I find myself swiping it like my Playbook, and then saying, "Oh ... yeah, that doesn't work on this."
    Spencerdl and eddy_berry like this.
    01-31-13 04:13 PM
    I had my Adnroid for 6 motnhs before I found out double pressing hte home button took me to my recently used apps. These people live in glass houses. How intuitive is that exactly? Oh, and press power and home together to get a screen capture?

Ya, obvious and required no learning curve.

BUll****.
    01-31-13 04:15 PM
    I just said I'm using an iPhone as well, I have no problem learning something new. So please stop with your broad generalizations.
    just because i quoted you doesnt mean im against you.

you said they arent dumb too. I was agreeing with you.
    01-31-13 04:52 PM
    Turn on the phone for the first time.
    Set up runs.
    Gesture Instructions run.
    Phone boots to homescreen.

therefore, if it is YOUR phone you are given the instructions... which are VERY simple. If it is someone elses phone THE OWNER can explain it to you... just like how i explained everything about the iphone to my aunt because she didnt know how to use it.

So yes, give a caveman a cellphone and nothing much will happen. Get an iphone to a dog and you get similar results. BUT, if you give a phone to a modern person WITH instructions there wont be any problems.

Pretty silly 'test' really. Would you write a review of a book without reading it?
    01-31-13 04:59 PM
    Also, I noticed that many iPhone users don't even know that you have to manually shut down apps otherwise it really drains the battery, and I find it's such a big task to do so when compared to BB10.
    They don't know that because it's not true. iOS picks a happy middle ground for multitasking that automatically sleeps apps after 10 minutes.
    01-31-13 05:01 PM
    01-31-13 05:05 PM
    Yep, shutting down apps is not needed on Android (though, admittedly, that principle has gotten much better with JB).
    01-31-13 05:11 PM
    So that video shows that some IPhone and Android users aren't the smartest and the use of that study was???
    I think you answered your own question.
    01-31-13 05:16 PM
    Why oh why would anybody expect anyone to be able to use a gesture based device with no instructions? I want to yell at these people as much as I want to yell at the "design experts" who bashed 8 when people couldn't figure it out with no instructions.

The total amount of time you spend with the device where you don't know how to operate it is .0005%. So why does everyone make a big deal about it? Why doesn't somebody make a video of somebody following the tutorial video? You know, like in real life.

I don't care if it takes 5 minutes to learn. I care if it offers a better way to do things for the remaining 1,000,000 minutes after those first 5.

With this current design mentality of the we will eventually be using iRocks as our main mobile device. It won't be able to do much but damn is it intuitive.
    dentynefire and tee_mac like this.
    01-31-13 05:19 PM
    Yep, shutting down apps is not needed on Android (though, admittedly, that principle has gotten much better with JB).
    That's not true, last time I checked everyone always needed to download a task killer. And even if you didn't have that, most apps force close anyway while they're in use.
    01-31-13 05:30 PM
    I recall on a article I read last year that President Obama was handed a Iphone and after using it for a few minutes he said, "this looks to confusing, where's my blackberry", lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Bobcat665 and eddy_berry like this.
    01-31-13 05:34 PM
    That's not true, last time I checked everyone always needed to download a task killer. And even if you didn't have that, most apps force close anyway while they're in use.
    Nope.

Experienced Android users know that Task Killers do more harm than good. in fact, as a transplanted BB user, it was hard for me to change from the mentality of closing every single app. The OS is designed to absorb and control resources in a way that maximizes its form of multi-tasking.

Not to say it worked well perfectly all the time, but I use my phone heavily, and don't use one, and most power users won't touch a task killer. Don't take my word for it; post a topic Are Task Killer Needed at AC for some feedback.
    reeneebob and rickkel like this.
    01-31-13 05:36 PM
    I recall on a article I read last year that President Obama was handed a Iphone and after using it for a few minutes he said, "this looks to confusing, where's my blackberry", lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Yes, that's why he used his iPad so rarely...
    01-31-13 05:37 PM
    I've seen people get into a new car and do the exact same thing :P lol

But seriously who wouldn't need instruction? I think the learning curve is still small enough that it will be easy for most. For those that can't well, its simply not for them.
    BB should definitely have in store display instructions beside the phones
    01-31-13 05:53 PM
142 1234 ...