View Poll Results: Would you rather get the paid versions of apps to support BB10 and get an enhanced user experience?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I shouldn't have to pay for apps just to enhance BB10's chances for success.

7 24.14%
  • I'd pay only if I was sure it would have an actual positive effect for the success of BB10.

9 31.03%
  • I would happily pay for apps, but currently there aren't many apps in the App World worth my money.

8 27.59%
  • I would buy the paid versions to help BB10 thrive and get the best experience.

5 17.24%
    As a returning Blackberry user and a satisfied first time BB10 user, I have some thoughts that I'd like to share with my co-Crackberry nationalists. These are no groundbreaking thoughts, but they are worth contemplating on as I think they help us put focus where needed.

There's been a lot of discussions both in the media and in the Crackberry forums on why Blackberry is in its current state. Personally, I choose to focus on what we as BB10 users can do to contribute to getting our favourite platform to where it deserves to be while get the most out of BB10 in our everyday lives.

I believe that the best way we can contribute to the future success of the BB10 platform is to download apps, in particular the paid apps, whose number is increasing every day. The fact is that app developers push out an ever more number of quality apps, in particular the "made for Blackberry apps". I believe that as long as there are committed app developers for the BB10 platform, the platform will continue to thrive. Meanwhile, we as the users and supporters get the most out of our BB10 devices and services. Now there is a win-win situation for both Blackberry, and us BB10 users. As the platform thrives, the company is strengthened and we get the best experience. The snowball effect!
    Last edited by farvardinzad; 10-16-13 at 07:28 AM.
    10-16-13 07:14 AM
    Hi! Returning user? Welcome back to the platform and to Crackberry!

Good ideas on buying the BB10 apps. Wish there were more of the ones I want, I'd gladly pay for them.
    10-16-13 07:17 AM
    I agree. It has been a slow process

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 07:19 AM
    But they are coming and I am very satisfied with BlackBerry 10. Its the everyday use of the phone that makes the platform the best.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 07:21 AM
    As a returning Blackberry user and a satisfied first time BB10 user, I have some thoughts that I'd like to share with my co-Crackberry nationalists. These are no groundbreaking thoughts, but they are worth contemplating on as I think they help us put focus there needed.

There's been a lot of discussions both in the media and in the Crackberry forums on why Blackberry is in its current state. Personally, I choose to focus on what we as BB10 users can do to contribute to getting our favourite platform to where it deserves to be while get the most out of BB10 in our everyday lives.

I believe that the best way we can contribute to the future success of the BB10 platform is to download apps, in particular the paid apps, whose number is increasing every day. The fact is that app developers push out an ever more number of quality apps, in particular the "made for Blackberry apps". I believe that as long as there are committed app developers for the BB10 platform, the platform will continue to thrive. Meanwhile, we as the users and supporters get the most out of our BB10 devices and services. Now there is a win-win situation for both Blackberry, and us BB10 users. As the platform thrives, the company is strengthened and we get the best experience. The snowball effect!
    Crackberry users must buy BlackBerry 10 phones first and for most, can't buy apps if you don't have a phone....time to leave os7 and migrate to bb10
    farvardinzad and mujahid 10 like this.
    10-16-13 07:22 AM
    let's do this.
    10-16-13 07:22 AM
    I've bought way more apps than I ever did for my PlayBook already. And if headless apps are ever approved, there are another three apps on my list.

I've also emailed six android developers with apps that I currently have sideloaded and are running just fine on my Z10. In my mind they would be very simple ports to BB. BlackBerry needs some type of headhunter or rewards program where user can suggest apps that they would like to see. Then BB could approche developers that receive an large number of request on. That way they aren't paying some guy developing a RSS feed app or a "city guide", but developers that people want to see on the platform.

From what I've seen here and from what I've been told... the number of users and the future of BlackBerry make it a risk, and many are not willing to wast time that could be spent on other projects.
    10-16-13 07:34 AM
    Crackberry users must buy BlackBerry 10 phones first and for most, can't buy apps if you don't have a phone....time to leave os7 and migrate to bb10
    Sure. You pay my early termination fee and buy the phone for me?
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-16-13 07:38 AM
    What's the point in spending money on an App, that you don't want, need, or ever use.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 07:42 AM
    sure I`ll pay for an app if its worth it to me, but lets be clear about one thing here, if it costs less on another platform, then I aint paying. im happy to pay the `going rate` but im not about to pay extra for using a Blackberry, if the app offers extra features worth paying, then that's a different thing.

Also support is a big component. if you update your other platforms apps (be it extras or bug fixes or whatever) and you don't also update the BB app, then im less likely to buy again. this is even more relevant to ported android apps btw.

Personally I think it would help BB10 far more if BlackBerry advertised it than if you and I bought every single app in the store.
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    10-16-13 07:48 AM
    I buy the apps that I need/want. I won't be buying apps that I don't need/want just for the sake of buying apps. I don't think people should be buying apps they don't want/need just to get the devs hooked. It is up to the devs to make apps people want, then people will buy them.
    10-16-13 07:51 AM
    Just because an app can be side-loaded doesn't mean that it can easily be ported to BB10. That's like saying that if I run a Windows program on my Mac with VirtualBox or something then it could be easily ported to OSX.

Also, just because someone sideloads an app and is happy with it doesn't mean that they would be happy if a native app worked the same way. One is apt to be a buggy and the other would be unacceptable if it had a lot of bugs.
    10-16-13 07:55 AM
    I've been looking for, and subsequently purchasing, the apps that are relevant to my business world but BlackBerry World is still lacking in the necessary ones. And before you say it, OP, I don't even consider side loading any. I've sent several emails to banks, airlines, and other companies hoping to "spark" there motivation in producing needed apps. Also I would like real world communication apps (conference call and scanner) which are a nessessity. This is what our BlackBerry 10s need to be successful and professional to the business users and to put the word out that BlackBerry 10 phones are a force to be recognized!

medicdon
    Last edited by donemt; 10-16-13 at 08:17 AM.
    10-16-13 07:58 AM
    Everyone here should have a Z10 or Q10, and Z30 or atleast 2 of the 3.....if not why are they here? Moral support?
    10-16-13 08:38 AM
    Sure. You pay my early termination fee and buy the phone for me?
    Its only like 500-600 for a new, heck you can find a new/used one for under 400 off some classifieds.
    10-16-13 08:39 AM
    Its only like 500-600 for a new, heck you can find a new/used one for under 400 off some classifieds.
    Well if that is all it is then you can buy me one. But first I have to change carriers and pay an ETF since my carrier has zero bb10 phones in their lineup and only allow phones with their branding. I'm glad 500 or 600 is pocket change for you. For me and many others that is a lot of money to pay for a phone, maybe why the cheap androids sell so many.
    10-16-13 08:50 AM
    Let's be honest here, shall we gitchies, not everyone has several hundred dollars laying around that they can use to buy another phone, and like kbz1960 pointed out who is going to pay for early termination fees and even second added lines to accommodate the Z10? We are on this site to gain insight and knowledge about our BlackBerry phones ,and yes to show our loyalty, but you, gitchies, come across like if your not buying a new or used BlackBerry 10 your not "helping " the cause. Let's not put down our fellow members, and others wanting to be, simply for not being able to afford a new phone.

medicdon
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-16-13 08:59 AM
    Step 1 - Build good phones with a good operating system and distinct advantages over the competition (check)
    Step 2 - Stop all the "we're exploring our options" crap and focus on the "BB10 is now getting great traction and we are at a place where we can say it is going to succeed and we are 100% committed to supporting it for the next decade." (check - barely. Tentative)
    Step 3 - Have people buy the phones (TBD - it's a slow burn right now. This is where CrackBerry nation comes in.)
    Step 4 - Encourage developers to build (or port) apps by offering incentives such as a guaranteed minimum revenue stream and/or a larger share of the revenue than on competing platforms if the app is at the same quality and same or lower price point. (i.e. If it's $0.99 on all platforms the developer gets to keep $0.98 for each BlackBerry download. It's your app so it's your money. You make apps we'll make phones.) (BlackBerry could do better here.)
    Step 5 - Don't ask banks/companies/developers to make an app just for you. That comes across as entitled. Point out that the company is not meeting your needs as a consumer. Ask if the company services people such as yourself and the prime demographic that BlackBerry has a long history of attracting. Let them decide if a couple million (or more) likely affluent customers are worth their time. If it's not then drop it. Not every BlackBerry user frequents the Monowi Tavern so don't be surprised if they don't build an app for BB10.
    Step 6 - If you really want a Monowi Tavern App then ask them what, in specific terms, it would take. Money? Resources? Any reasonable company will provide some answer even if it is "a billion dollars and no more brown M&Ms". Let BlackBerry and the BB10 community know what you find out and they can decide if it is possible and, if it is, whether it is worthwhile subsiding the costs of development.
    Step 7 - Make the most out of your BlackBerry by downloading the apps that are useful to you. Maybe apps aren't your thing, in which case just follow step 3.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-16-13 09:47 AM
    i always find things i'm interested in, however very hesitant as the last time i went on a downloadng spree i lost track of how many one dollar to three dollar apps and felt a little weird with my credit card bill... =P
    10-16-13 10:32 AM