View Poll Results: Are you going to try the Rogers SureTap technology?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 46.67%
  • No

7 46.67%
  • I would if I was a Rogers Customer

1 6.67%
    Mobile payment: Rogers suretap arrives in Canada | Rogers RedBoard

I am....

The less I have to go into a wallet, worry about finding exact change and can just use my cellphone... the better! I am specifically talking about when I buy coffee and usually use paypass to pay. There are other occasions too (for example, just went to an office supply store and could have used it.)

Only thing left is to get the NFC card once I'm done work and try it out.

Anyone else going to give it a try?
    11-16-12 01:53 PM
    One of the best parts of all this for RIM is the free advertisments they are going to get from Rogers, Its a selling point during the purchase of a phone thats for sure or why would Rogers bother. Plus there should be posteres up in the locations promoting it. Go RIM.
    11-16-12 05:15 PM
    I voted no not because I wouldn't, but because my phone doesn't have NFC. Once I get my hands on a BB10, and assuming that my bank is on board, I will give it a try. I will not, however, get a new Visa just to have the option.
    11-16-12 05:16 PM
    Probably not. I don't use Rogers as my provider, I don't bank with CIBC, and Visa is pretty much the only credit card I've never used. For people who use all three, and a BB? Sounds like a good starting point for mobile payments by RIM.

Sides, my G3 already does that. I am hoping there is a system in place (bigger in scope than this one) when BB10 comes out. Maybe if I get lucky I can make mobile payments using any bank and carrier and provider; or however they want to work it.
    11-16-12 05:52 PM
    Just ordered an nfc sim card.

Sent from my Atari 2600
    11-16-12 09:49 PM
    One of the problems I see with SureTap is that the limit is 50$, and I usually don't use my credit card for purchases that small.
    11-18-12 08:25 AM
    I wish Bell would get on board.

I might have to switch back to rogers when bb10 launches. I'm done being mad @ rogers anyway
    11-18-12 10:12 AM
    Trust rogers with money? Rogers and credit?

RUN, RUN FAST!
    11-18-12 10:54 AM
    Just ordered an nfc sim card.

Sent from my Atari 2600
    Hahaha sent from Atari 2600!!!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-18-12 10:57 AM
    One of the problems I see with SureTap is that the limit is 50$, and I usually don't use my credit card for purchases that small.
    I don't think the limit is $50.... I think it's $50 without having to sign.... over $50 will require a signature.
    11-18-12 01:04 PM
    CIBC is offering $15 credit if you sign up between November 16 and December 31 on eligible devices. Great to see them support and provide incentives although the carrier exclusivity hampers the general availability including myself.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/mob...obilePayment-E
    11-19-12 10:38 AM
    I would if it was with td Canada!!! Sad face
    11-19-12 10:41 AM
    i am in the rare group who

1) Uses Rogers
    2) Has CIBC Visa
    3) Has a 9900

i did all the installation, and have now used it a couple times

its pretty handy as now i dont carry my wallet during my work day when all i would need it for is to buy lunch.

People always look confused (including staff members) when i use it, and then they are like, "Wow, thats pretty cool."
    BaconMunch likes this.
    11-19-12 11:13 AM
    I saw this on n4bb this morning. I called my local rogers store to make sure that they have NFC H+ SIMS. Check. CIBC VISA. check. Bold. Check.

Downloaded the app and it checks to see that you have a NFC simcard. Then it asks you to call CIBC which is a one-button press feature.

Called CIBC and after a few security Q's, they sent THE CIBC APP, not BB SMS a text with all of my VISA info.

Setup a password for the app and done.

Then I went to get a BIG MAC and it worked great.

However, I upgraded my OS right after lunch to Rogers V7.1.0.7xx and it deleted the secure info that CIBC sent to the APP. So I will have to call them again. No biggie.

Great job Rogers, CIBC, VISA and RIM.
    11-19-12 02:24 PM
    Not until all carriers and all banks are on board will I try it out. That's not gonna happen til much later.
    11-19-12 02:41 PM
    Unfortunately I'm missing 2 of the 3 components for this to work for me. I'm not a CIBC cardholder and don't have an NFC phone. Otherwise I would jump all over this Rogers program. I would love to just carry my cell phone around when I go grocery shopping at Loblaws. I would still need to carry my Visa card around for other places that don't have the NFC terminals yet however....
    11-19-12 02:54 PM
    Rats. I just switched out of Rogers. I hope Fido will provide it soon, and for different banks. I don't bank with CIBC.
    11-19-12 05:07 PM
    You still need your wallet for the drivers license and automobile info, health card and other identifiable cards. Not sure how this replaces wallets.
    11-19-12 05:18 PM
    You still need your wallet for the drivers license and automobile info, health card and other identifiable cards. Not sure how this replaces wallets.
    I generally leave my wallet in the car, grab my phone and money/bank card, this works great for guys like me.
    11-19-12 06:42 PM
    I got it... here is another item to add to the list of requirements. Yes, need CIBC Visa, yes, need Rogers, yes need BB9900. But also, if you are on corporate/BES plan, you can't just buy and install the SIM yourself. You need to get the SIM and have your Rogers account rep (ie. your IT manager) call rogers and do the switch of the SIM on your account. Rogers wouldn't let me do it directly.

Not that it is set up, it works great.

Jeff.
    11-20-12 07:32 AM
    Anyone having problems getting this to work? I have all the requirements but whenever I use it at a terminal....nothing...I have tried many different places and nothing. My NFC works just fine otherwise on my music gateway. CIBC has escalated my issue....i love getting escalated.
    11-28-12 01:01 PM