I was at Scarborough Town Centre mall earlier (for non-local folks, it's a mall in Greater Toronto Area, Canada) and went to Rogers store. They had 1 BlackBerry Z10 on demo tied to theft-protection wire.

Z10 was running on some demo-video/loop. A guy was trying to play with the device but was unable to (because phone was set to some demo loop) and asked Rogers rep to help.

Rogers rep said "No, our policy is to set on demo loop. They are not confident about their product to allow unlocked usage. Sorry, I can't do anything."

Really?! WTF?! Luckily, I had read a thread here earlier in the day about how to unlock (by pressing voice control button hack) and I unlocked it for the guy. The Rogers rep actually got mad at me and was like you can't be here hacking our devices.
    02-05-13 10:48 PM
    I was at Scarborough Town Centre mall earlier (for non-local folks, it's a mall in Greater Toronto Area, Canada) and went to Rogers store. They had 1 BlackBerry Z10 on demo tied to theft-protection wire.

Z10 was running on some demo-video/loop. A guy was trying to play with the device but was unable to (because phone was set to some demo loop) and asked Rogers rep to help.

Rogers rep said "No, our policy is to set on demo loop. They are not confident about their product to allow unlocked usage. Sorry, I can't do anything."

Really?! WTF?! Luckily, I had read a thread here earlier in the day about how to unlock (by pressing voice control button hack) and I unlocked it for the guy. The Rogers rep actually got mad at me and was like you can't be here hacking our devices.
    wheres this hack thread?

Ridiculous rep
    02-05-13 10:50 PM
    I can't find the thread now. But I had read it earlier in the day today. Or maybe it was a comment to one of CB articles. I think it was a thread. Somebody else can hopefully point to that thread or comment.
    02-05-13 11:05 PM

WTF? That rep is nuts LOL
    02-05-13 11:06 PM
    Phone reps are idiots. The rep in the mall told me the blackberrys have droid on it.
    02-05-13 11:08 PM
    The few that I talked to were quite knowledge.
    02-05-13 11:27 PM
    wheres this hack thread?
    Ridiculous rep
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...issues-767392/ -- the workaround is mention in that thread , pasting relevant quote here:
    I found a workaround for this. If you hold down the middle button on the side, you open the voice control app. You can then swipe up to put it into active frames and you have just entered the "usable mode". Enjoy!
    02-05-13 11:32 PM
    report him
    02-06-13 12:47 AM
    The demo-loop is great but it doesn't allow user to play with the device. And retail-reps don't unlock (exit) demo either.

So, my suggestion is:

1. Either have the "demo" running on a different display (maybe an LCD monitor behind showing how to use the BB 10 device)
    or
    2. Place actual, physical "stickers" or " boards" behind the device with illustrations on how to use basic swiping gestures.
    or
    BOTH!
    02-06-13 08:49 AM