I eventually got my sim card.. went to activate the app... rogers customer? check! CIBC customer? check! supported device? check! supported credit card? well it's a CIBC Visa so yes right? NOPE! It turns out they support the CIBC Dividend Visa.. and the CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa.. but they DO NOT support the CIBC Dividend Infinite Visa... the rewards I get with my card somehow magically prevent them from provisioning the card number to my nfc sim card... *rolls eyes* BUT I can upgrade to the Aerogold Infinite card that has double the annual fee and no longer gives me cash back on my purchases!

What a crock..
    12-22-12 06:03 PM
    Surely, other banks will start rolling out NFC based credit cards soon. CIBC won't remain the only game in town/
    12-23-12 03:54 AM
    I eventually got my sim card.. went to activate the app... rogers customer? check! CIBC customer? check! supported device? check! supported credit card? well it's a CIBC Visa so yes right? NOPE! It turns out they support the CIBC Dividend Visa.. and the CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa.. but they DO NOT support the CIBC Dividend Infinite Visa... the rewards I get with my card somehow magically prevent them from provisioning the card number to my nfc sim card... *rolls eyes* BUT I can upgrade to the Aerogold Infinite card that has double the annual fee and no longer gives me cash back on my purchases!

What a crock..
    I figured there would be an angle hidden in there somewhere....I truly hope RIM offers their own wallet.

Which brings up another point....carriers charge us for data, an NFC transaction is completed when data transfers from the consumers device, which is paying for that data plan already. The banks (which own all the debit networks I believe) are collecting fees already from the vendor for supplying this service so....is it not double charging if either of those groups charge anything above what is already being collected concerning NFC? Not an expert but to me that's double billing... And most jurisdictions have consumer protections legislation protecting against such things.
    12-23-12 05:44 AM
    I figured there would be an angle hidden in there somewhere....I truly hope RIM offers their own wallet.

Which brings up another point....carriers charge us for data, an NFC transaction is completed when data transfers from the consumers device, which is paying for that data plan already. The banks (which own all the debit networks I believe) are collecting fees already from the vendor for supplying this service so....is it not double charging if either of those groups charge anything above what is already being collected concerning NFC? Not an expert but to me that's double billing... And most jurisdictions have consumer protections legislation protecting against such things.
    As for double billing, is this not already happening with debit payments?? I pay a fee to my bank which includes x amount of debit transactions... go over, and pay more... I am lucky, however, that I get refunded if I use less. So when you pay for debit via your banking fee, and the retailer is paying per transaction, this double billing is already in practice.
    12-23-12 12:58 PM
    I hear ya and don't agree with that either but my point really is if the carrier's decide this is their new cash cow (NFC) and really the only one bringing anything new to the table which is not already being charged for is device manufacturers that need the carriers to exist, how do they compete? Just saying the tables are kinda tilted are they not.
    12-23-12 03:45 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD