Nadir Mohamed, Rogers CEO, Expects Profits From Mobile Payments, Wireless Tracking

"MONTREAL - Rogers expects to launch a credit card that will be part of a "virtual wallet" as the telecom company moves to mobile payments on smartphones.

Chief executive Nadir Mohamed said Monday that Rogers is waiting for approval to offer a niche credit card that would serve its roughly 10 million customers.

"There's no question that when we launch our credit card, it will also be one of the first credit cards on your virtual wallet," Mohamed said after a speech to Montreal's Canadian Club.

While he wasn't specific on the timing of the launch, Mohamed predicted that in five years it will be common to use a smartphone as a digital wallet to store credit cards and identification.

Rogers (TSX:RCI.B) and CIBC already have announced they will launch Canada's first mobile payments system later this year, giving Canadians the ability to pay with their credit card using a smartphone.

Rogers applied to the federal Finance Department for a licence to offer financial products last September.

Mohamed suggested the average Canadian carries 22 plastic cards in his wallet.

"Today your wireless device is already your phone, your camera, your computer," he said.

"Tomorrow it will be your virtual wallet, a safe and secure platform that uses the SIM card inside your NFC-enabled (Near Field Communication) device to safely manage all of your information."

Newer BlackBerry smartphones have the ability to make mobile payments as well as some using Google's Android operating system. The new iPhone 5, however does not have Near Field Communication short-range wireless technology to link to credit card information.

Mohamed also said Rogers expects wirelessly connected hydro and parking meters, digital chalkboards, medical equipment and other devices will be a big source of revenue in the near future.

He said this market will grow to more than $400 million of annual revenue for the industry by 2015.

Rogers now has 800,000 devices connected to its network about $50 million in annual revenue from what's called the "machine-to-machine" market.

He says Rogers is working with Quebec insurance provider Industrial Alliance to track and identify good driver behaviour and with ski resort Mont-Tremblant to track students out on the slopes.

"If you assume that we have the pole position in terms of being the leader, we will have a significant part of this business," Mohamed said.

The Toronto-based company has 9.4 million subscribers for its wireless services, making it Canada's leading mobile phone company.

On the hockey front, Mohamed said he is a "fan" who hopes the NHL lockout ends soon.

Rogers and telecom competitor BCE (TSX:BCE) jointly own a 75 per cent stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs NHL team.

"At this stage, to me, it's between the league and the players association to hopefully get this sorted out as soon as possible."

Source Huffington Post Canada - Canadian News Stories, Breaking News, Opinion
    Superfly_FR and sugbo like this.
    09-21-12 12:12 PM
    Sound like the NFC is taking on legs,
    09-21-12 01:13 PM
    Nice finding. Good news !
    09-21-12 01:21 PM
    As long as NFC is secure, I'll happily leave my wallet at home if I can use my phone to buy refreshments when I'm out on my 3 hour bike rides. Bring it on.
    09-21-12 01:22 PM
    As long as NFC is secure, I'll happily leave my wallet at home if I can use my phone to buy refreshments when I'm out on my 3 hour bike rides. Bring it on.
    So, what I've been hearing from NFC.

Metal and even Carbon Fiber blocks it.
    Which means, if you don't want the NFC activated on your phone, then keep it in a case that easily blocks NFC.

It has a very short range compared to Bluetooth 2,3,4 etc
    You have to actually touch something to use NFC. So, don't touch anything.

The NFC using application must be activated in order to use NFC.
    Just don't have the NFC open all of the time. Don't allow access to other applications (i.e. web browser) from the initial NFC application.

What else needs to be secure?
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    09-21-12 01:31 PM
    I traded my 9810 for the 9900 so I could get nfc. Too bad it still has no use

I can't wait to use my bb to pay for purchases!
    09-21-12 02:33 PM

Have you tried programming your own NFC tags and using NFC Shortcuts? An example is turning off Wi-fi and turning on Bluetooth when you enter the car (stick a NFC tag in the car and tap it).
    09-21-12 02:42 PM
    I prefer cash. I only use my debit card at the convenience store so the government and the bank understand how many pounds of potato (chips) I consume in a year.
    GeneralHerzog likes this.
    09-21-12 03:42 PM
    How and why does the carrier get paid? I can see the banks but why carriers?
    09-21-12 04:27 PM
    I haven't figured out that connection either.
    Unless the carriers believe they need to do a transaction fee for every time you tap PayPass to pay for your gas via MasterCard.
    09-21-12 05:24 PM
    Some methods of NFC payments call for the information (secured of course) to be embedded on the SIM card. If that were the case I can see the carrier grabbing a piece of the pie.

I use NFC to pay at various places and I am not paying any extra than I would using a physical cc or debit card. Maybe prices would increase if merchants were hit with another interac type fee.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 09-21-12 at 05:31 PM.
    09-21-12 05:27 PM
    Rogers applied to the federal Finance Department for a licence to offer financial products last September.
    Looks like Rogers in the long run wants to offer its own card. I'd guess Visa because of the CIBC relationship.
    09-21-12 06:10 PM
    It should be out in time for Christmas shopping

I'm not sure how Rogers intends to offer this, I mean what % will they take, will the virtual card act like a physical cc or will it be tied into one's account. I'm not with Rogers, nor am I looking for another credit card, but where one major carriers goes, so usually do the others follow. Should be an interesting 2013.
    09-21-12 06:55 PM
    I'm thinking this is probably going to tie directly to your Rogers account, but they need credit card services to make it work properly. (virtual credit)
    09-21-12 07:19 PM
    Looks like Rogers in the long run wants to offer its own card. I'd guess Visa because of the CIBC relationship.
    We have a CIBC Mastercard. CIBC bought (?) CityBank with whom we originally had our Mastercard - so it could be either Visa or Mastercard with CIBC.
    battery likes this.
    09-21-12 07:47 PM
    The app is now available in the app world and there's a new "News" section on the CIBC site.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/mob...obilePayment-E
    11-16-12 04:15 PM
    I prefer cash. I only use my debit card at the convenience store so the government and the bank understand how many pounds of potato (chips) I consume in a year.
    What is this "cash" that you speak of? I haven't even seen cash for like 3 years. I just wonder how much the carrier(s) will charge ontop of your mobile payments.
    11-16-12 04:54 PM
    What is this "cash" that you speak of? I haven't even seen cash for like 3 years. I just wonder how much the carrier(s) will charge ontop of your mobile payments.
    Cash is and always will be useful. I was in NY after the big storm. When the power is out and communication is spotty cash is king and credit cards are useless.
    11-16-12 05:08 PM
    Cash is and always will be useful. I was in NY after the big storm. When the power is out and communication is spotty cash is king and credit cards are useless.
    Ok.....................
    11-16-12 07:15 PM
    CIBC is offering a $15 credit to anyone that signs up and registers the CIBC Mobile Payment App.
    Offer runs from now until December 31st.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/mobile-payment.html

To use the new CIBC Mobile Payment App, you must have:
    an eligible CIBC credit card
    a BlackBerry� Bold� 9900 or a BlackBerry� Curve� 9360 (coming soon) with Near Field Communication (NFC)
    a data plan with Rogers Communications and an activated NFC SIM card

Rogers NFC and Mobile Payments.-banner-blackberry-en.jpg

Wish I had a BB 9900 to get free money
    11-17-12 01:22 AM

Well if your in Canada it looks like fast food is leading the way. Try Tim Hortons or Mcdonalds. Enjoy.
    11-17-12 02:12 AM
    Well if your in Canada it looks like fast food is leading the way. Try Tim Hortons or Mcdonalds. Enjoy.
    I am in Canada but when I swapped my 9810 for the 9900 I also dropped Rogers and went to Bell lol.
    11-17-12 07:02 AM
    I'm with you.. I keep a little cash tucked in my wallet incase of an emergency, but those same bills have been in there for YEARS. I pay absolutely everything on my credit cards and collect my 2% devidends!

I downloaded the app yesterday when it launched, but rogers screwed up my nfc sim card order and sent me an LTE card by mistake.. in their defense they caught the error and sent me an email saying the right one was in the mail but it hasn't arrived yet
    11-17-12 09:27 AM
    I'm with you.. I keep a little cash tucked in my wallet incase of an emergency, but those same bills have been in there for YEARS. I pay absolutely everything on my credit cards and collect my 2% devidends!

I downloaded the app yesterday when it launched, but rogers screwed up my nfc sim card order and sent me an LTE card by mistake.. in their defense they caught the error and sent me an email saying the right one was in the mail but it hasn't arrived yet
    Rogers sent me the wrong sim card too.
    11-17-12 11:42 PM
    I wouldn't trust rogers to handle any financial information. They are barely able to handle my wireless services. Anytime I have a issue gorpreet in India always messes it up.
    11-18-12 10:03 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD