I wonder how this will affect the number of BB subscribers at the end of the next quarter?
    07-28-12 08:09 AM
    I wonder how this will affect the number of BB subscribers at the end of the next quarter?
    Negligibly I suspect. Even if RIM loses a few subscribers over this nonsense it will
    be balanced out by new sign-ups.
    07-28-12 08:25 AM
    Well maybe I need an SG3 then because on the Motorola forum there are a lot of posts about some wifi bug on the razr maxx. Something to do with it ignoring the correct gateway ip address setting passed from the router. Yeah you can tell it's Linux. F with it all the time to smooth out the issues. Lol. I like the phone though. Mostly.

Sent from my flip-phone
    so far 3 different wireless networks with my SG3, no wifi issues.
    my Only issue with Android is the same as with iOS, they almost insist on Wifi.
    07-28-12 11:45 AM
    so far 3 different wireless networks with my SG3, no wifi issues.
    my Only issue with Android is the same as with iOS, they almost insist on Wifi.
    You got an SG3? What do you think of it? Would love to know. Are you using a SIM card adapter to swap between the SG3 and your Berry?
    07-31-12 03:49 PM
    If you pop a sim card with a BB data plan into an iPhone, it won't be able to use data. Not until the user unlocks the APN of the device. And once they do that, I believe the data just uses regular data connection and doesn't go through NOC at that point.
    I have a BB data plan and swap the SIM into my SG3 and iphone 4S and it works just fine. It works perfectly.

I believe that as long as you use your Blackberry once a month, Rogers will leave you alone.
    07-31-12 03:53 PM
    I heard this just after I got my S3. I knew it was coming because a friend of mine who has an iphone told me they'd told them the same thing (she had switched her BB data plan to her iphone several months ago. I think it came into force last week... so if you're using data in a non-BB phone the phone will just stop working.

So I asked Rogers about it and they simply switched me to the data plan for my Galaxy S3 at the same time I switched to LTE. I asked them why the change and they said the Blackberry data plan was created specifically for BlackBerries (and BlackBerry Messenger) and as I'm not using a Blackberry the data plan would no longer work.

I don't have a problem with it at all and frankly I don't understand why anyone should have a problem. I'd rather have the right data plan than for my mobile to suddenly stop working. And I still have the same 6G of data.
    All I want is to use my Blackberry, Android and iphone on the same SIM card as I have done for several years now.

I like all 3 phones and use the one I feel like on that day.
    07-31-12 03:57 PM
    All I want is to use my Blackberry, Android and iphone on the same SIM card as I have done for several years now.

I like all 3 phones and use the one I feel like on that day.
    I am pretty sure that in the 9 pages of posts on this thread you have been told many. many times what the deal is and given all kinds of advice.

Just listen to what experienced people have told you and take their advice.

Not hard to do. If you want to.
    07-31-12 05:37 PM
    I am pretty sure that in the 9 pages of posts on this thread you have been told many. many times what the deal is and given all kinds of advice.

Just listen to what experienced people have told you and take their advice.

Not hard to do. If you want to.
    Here is my advice. Use your Blackberry once a month and Rogers will leave you alone and you will be free to use your android or iphone for the other 29 days.

As long as traffic goes through the RIM NOC at least once in month, you will not get hassled.
    07-31-12 05:48 PM
    You got an SG3? What do you think of it? Would love to know. Are you using a SIM card adapter to swap between the SG3 and your Berry?
    Yes I have the SG3, and giving a review right now wouldn't be overly fair

I've only dedicated time to the native keyboard and swiftkey3 I've yet to really use the PHONE, though I've done a crazy amount of typing and proof reading.

Over all I think the SG3 is a good phone if you're a shut in.
    It is terrible in sunlight, worst phone I've ever used in the Sun.
    I find it too large for 1 hand use, but that could be preference, I have a friend who isn't having issues with his SG3 one hand use, for reading/replying to emails but he doesn't surf much on it.

I find the resolution great, except when loading websites you have to zoom in to do anything because everything is so small and your finger is far larger than most clickable links.

I purchased another line so I am not sacrificing my BlackBerry to trial this SG3,

I am pretty sure I will be getting rid of this SG3 next week, I think if the SG3 was more iPhone sized, I'd like it better, and if I could tolerate how slow the device learns ones "language" I might get less frustrated.
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    07-31-12 06:19 PM
    Yes I have the SG3, and giving a review right now wouldn't be overly fair

I've only dedicated time to the native keyboard and swiftkey3 I've yet to really use the PHONE, though I've done a crazy amount of typing and proof reading.

Over all I think the SG3 is a good phone if you're a shut in.
    It is terrible in sunlight, worst phone I've ever used in the Sun.
    I find it too large for 1 hand use, but that could be preference, I have a friend who isn't having issues with his SG3 one hand use, for reading/replying to emails but he doesn't surf much on it.

I find the resolution great, except when loading websites you have to zoom in to do anything because everything is so small and your finger is far larger than most clickable links.

I purchased another line so I am not sacrificing my BlackBerry to trial this SG3,

I am pretty sure I will be getting rid of this SG3 next week, I think if the SG3 was more iPhone sized, I'd like it better, and if I could tolerate how slow the device learns ones "language" I might get less frustrated.
    A lot of what you say is true. It is terrible in bright sunlight. I have mastered the one handed use. The keyboard is not as good as my Galaxy Nexus or 4S.

I love the size and features though. I am keeping mine.
    07-31-12 06:32 PM
    I'm confused???

RIM doesn't provide you with anything. When you get a BB and signup, the only thing you have with RIM is BIS. IT is called BlackBerry Internet Service, but don't be fooled. It is just a fancy way of saying "You can get push notifications" thats it. It is no more useful than any other service you sign up for that is usually free...

Your network is still the carriers. Your data still flows through the carriers. Everything is through the carrier. But your push and email comes through BIS.

IF you connected any phone to a BIS you would get .... nothing, because its not a BlackBerry.

Carriers are just offering cheap data to BB customers and dont want to pay it? I dont understand why people keep thinking there is a magical network you use with RIM that woudl work with other phones or even be interesting to other phones?

The BIS has more in common with your gmail than your internet? Is it just me or are people comparing apples to oranges here? This is another example of dumb phone companies marketing plans to phones when really ---- data is data to them. Its just another repackage upcharging scam.
    07-31-12 06:44 PM
    I'm confused???

RIM doesn't provide you with anything. When you get a BB and signup, the only thing you have with RIM is BIS. IT is called BlackBerry Internet Service, but don't be fooled. It is just a fancy way of saying "You can get push notifications" thats it. It is no more useful than any other service you sign up for that is usually free...

Your network is still the carriers. Your data still flows through the carriers. Everything is through the carrier. But your push and email comes through BIS.

IF you connected any phone to a BIS you would get .... nothing, because its not a BlackBerry.

Carriers are just offering cheap data to BB customers and dont want to pay it? I dont understand why people keep thinking there is a magical network you use with RIM that woudl work with other phones or even be interesting to other phones?

The BIS has more in common with your gmail than your internet? Is it just me or are people comparing apples to oranges here? This is another example of dumb phone companies marketing plans to phones when really ---- data is data to them. Its just another repackage upcharging scam.
    I'm not really sure what you are on about

BIS is more than just hey you get push to your BlackBerry, it has compression, encryption, static DNS, while I agree when you connect another phone it does nothing because the other phones are not registered to the BIS and don't have the software to support the NOC.
    07-31-12 06:49 PM
    A lot of blackberry users are dropping their berries for iphones and androids. But in order to keep their well priced legacy plans, they are just popping their SIM cards from their berries into their new phones.

RIM is wise to this and is now clamping down on non berries on their network. If they detect a non BB on their network, they will turn off the data that goes through their NOC.

Rogers users are getting this message on their bills:

You have subscribed to a BlackBerry data plan for use with your BlackBerry
    device. We've noticed that you are now using a device that is not a BlackBerry, which is not compatible with your BlackBerry data plan. Effective July 16, 2012, you will no longer have data access on any device other than a BlackBerry. Please ensure that you use a BlackBerry device in order to continue to have data access. If you prefer to use a non-BlackBerry device, then please call us at 1 888 764-3771 and we'll be happy to switch you to another data plan that is compatible with that device. Thank you.

I called Rogers and asked them who is behind this. They told me RIM.

If RIM were to cut off non BB users on their network, this would be asinine because users would just get a normal Data Plan. RIM gets $5 per month from the network for each BB plan so they should just shut their mouth, collect the $5 a month and let the iphone/android users run data through the RIM network.

So now RIM is kicking out subscribers. How stupid are these guys?
    Didn't take time to read the entire thread, so sorry if it was already answer...

First of all this decision clearly come from Rogers. The way the data works, Iphones/Androids system are not able to communicate with RIM system. Whatever the phone you use, data goes by your carrier network first and request/answer are managed there. Then it is routed to the host requested/requesting. So in fact YOUR phone request to send data to iCloud, google or RIM server. Your SIM card won't route traffic to RIM because it is a BB Data Plan that is attach to it. The SIM is only used to make a link between your account and you phone... kind of ID card like driver license...

So only RIM phones will route their traffic through RIM infrastructure. As your Iphone will be the only one to gain access to iCloud...

If Rogers decided to send this message to all non-BlackBerry user I can see only one reason... The monthly bill they pay to RIM for each phone supposed to be registered on RIM's network. So what they do when Rogers tell you to don't worry? They just remove BIS activation from your BlackBerry service book if you do not use BB ANYMORE. So as from now, they are not paying monthly fees to RIM but if you put your SIM in a BB after telling them you don't use it anymore, BIS will not be working unless you call Rogers to make it work.

Hope it help and make it clear for everyone! Keep in head that as long as Rogers pays the service fees, RIM will not complain and you traffic from non-BB devices is not passing by RIM's servers.
    Last edited by Xop777; 11-26-12 at 10:22 AM.
    11-26-12 09:54 AM
    Didn't take time to read the entire thread, so sorry if it was already answer...

First of all this decision clearly come from Rogers. The way the data works, Iphones/Androids system are not able to communicate with RIM system. Whatever the phone you use, data goes by your carrier network first and request/answer are managed there. Then it is routed to the host requested/requesting. So in fact YOUR phone request to send data to iCloud, google or RIM server. Your SIM card won't route traffic to RIM because it is a BB Data Plan that is attach to it. The SIM is only used to make a link between your account and you phone... kind of ID card like driver license...

So only RIM phones will route their traffic through RIM infrastructure. As your Iphone will be the only one to gain access to iCloud...

If Rogers decided to send this message to all non-BlackBerry user I can see only one reason... The monthly bill they pay to RIM for each phone supposed to be registered on RIM's network. So what they do when Rogers tell you to don't worry? They just remove BIS activation from your BlackBerry service book if you do not use BB ANYMORE. So as from now, they are not paying monthly fees to RIM but if you put your SIM in a BB after telling them you don't use it anymore, BIS will not be working unless you call Rogers to make it work.

Hope it help and make it clear for everyone! Keep in head that as long as Rogers pays the service fees, RIM will not complain and you traffic from non-BB devices is not passing by RIM's servers.
    Wrong
    Bb data plan is just a smart phone data plan with an extra code attached to it according to rogers.
    11-26-12 10:40 AM
    First of all, one of the perks of owning a BlackBerry is the data compression. If you don't want to own a BlackBerry, use Apple's or Google's data compression.
    Secondly, since the other two OSes are out of their control, they do not want those phones accessing their NOC with the other phone's lack of security etc.
    11-26-12 11:22 AM
    Wrong
    Bb data plan is just a smart phone data plan with an extra code attached to it according to rogers.
    This is where service book come in game... if the provider activate the BIS service book, they have to pay for it. If it is not activated, RIM will not be able to auth the BB phone...

For exemple when using PC, android or iphone browser: When you request google.com, you device will go and grab what it need from google.com

BB devices will request that page from APN on the phone that will push a request to: rim.bis.blackberry.net:XXXXX (exemple only) with a packet that contain the request of google.com... So BIS servers will get google.com, encrypt/compress it and send it to your device. It will be done only if service book is registered to RIM. Otherwise the request is not taken. BB Service book have a lot of parameter to allow/deny access. For exemple you can allow specific apps to work but not all. This is why carrier are able to make special plan like Emails only, IM only and socials only. Or to restrict the use of some apps.

It's your device that must route the traffic over RIM servers. No traffic will be routed to RIM's servers if you use iPhone or android or win mob devices because their APN is not set the same way as a BB is...

Also, only RIM's devices support the encryption used over BIS...
    11-26-12 11:24 AM
141 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD