I have an older Nokia cell phone and would like to upgrade to a Blackberry Bold 9700 which I have found competitively priced at a third party non cell phone retailer. I have accummulated a lot of rollover money on the pone and do not want to lose the rollover credit.
    Can I transfer the SIM card from the Nokia to the BB and maintain my phone number and pay as you go rogers service?
    Thanks for your insight!!!
    07-01-11 12:41 PM
    The first issue is unlocking the phone. BlackBerry are usually sold directly to carriers and are locked to that carrier. Unlocking is simple and inexpensive.

At that point, you can install your Rogers SIM card and use Phone/SMS Text.

In order to activate the Email and Messaging, you will need to upgrade your plan to include either the Rogers Social plan for BlackBerry, or a Rogers BIS/Data plan.

I am not sure if either plan is available in a prepaid service.
    07-01-11 01:47 PM
    When you say "unlocking the phone" and you refer to a "carrier" would Costco.ca be a "carrier"?
    Further to clarify, my phone number, texting and regular phoning services will remain as presently available and I may have to upgrade to include email and messaging?
    If I understand I would have nothing to lose from my present service and everything to gain as potential for upgrade!!!
    07-01-11 03:08 PM
    Costco is not a carrier, but they may be selling surplus stock acquired from a carrier.

When you restart the phone, look for the initial splash screen. If it is Rogers, Telus or Bell, it will be locked to that carrier. If it is a generic BlackBerry screen, it may not be locked.

You are right, Phone and Text will work as expected. If you can get a signal with your SIM card, the phone is unlocked.
    07-01-11 03:17 PM
    If I find that the cell phone is "locked", you mention "unlocking is simple and inexpensive", then do I have to contact the appropriate carrier in order to unlock it? Costco has a kiosk which sells for several carriers... can they unlock it?
    Your assistance has been quite helpfull and appreciative, many thanks!
    07-01-11 06:06 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f157/

This would be a good place to start, our BlackBerry unlocking subforum.

They can tell you how to check the lock status and provide an unlocking code as part of their business service.
    mmjjll likes this.
    07-01-11 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD