I would like to educate the community about roaming. I have heard many people turning on Airplane mode when roaming. That is not necessary at all. I travel many times through out the year. I have never had a big bill if i had a bill it would be $20 or less worth of charges.. The way is to leave Mobile Network ON But leave Data Roaming OFF. At this point you will be able still to get incoming calls and texts. You dont get charged for incoming texts.You wont get charged for incoming calls aslong you dont answer them. But if you do answer texts or calls roaming rates can be easily trackable and controlled. Also it another good idea to maybe buy a travel pack if you want..
    awindsr and Bbnivende like this.
    08-28-13 08:14 PM
    Thanks for the tip. Already do this. In fact, I either get local sim card or an international plan through my carrier.
    I think most people do it this way
    08-28-13 08:19 PM
    The reason im sharing this because when my friends leave the country its almost impossible to get a hold of them always goes straight to voice mail? If everybody does it this way wouldn't it ring tho? But he or she doesnt have to pick it up?
    08-28-13 08:24 PM
    You've certainly had a lot of posts on roaming lately lol

I think you may be preaching to the choir here. Have a look at today's Talk Mobile topics, looks like a good portion of people here already have some way of managing their roaming costs. Thanks though, still some info for those who may not be as informed.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 08:41 PM
    Yes lol. Where are the topics on mobile nation? Also yes it's very good info for the uneducated on this .
    08-28-13 08:53 PM
    The Talk Mobile topics are usually stickied at the top of the blog page.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 08:57 PM
    I would like to educate the community about roaming. I have heard many people turning on Airplane mode when roaming. That is not necessary at all. I travel many times through out the year. I have never had a big bill if i had a bill it would be $20 or less worth of charges.. The way is to leave Mobile Network ON But leave Data Roaming OFF. At this point you will be able still to get incoming calls and texts. You dont get charged for incoming texts.You wont get charged for incoming calls aslong you dont answer them. But if you do answer texts or calls roaming rates can be easily trackable and controlled. Also it another good idea to maybe buy a travel pack if you want..
    You've addressed the data end pretty well, but text messaging and phone calls is where UMA shines...provided you have a good WiFi network. But for the best local connectivity, I recommend getting a local SIM, if possible.

Also, at least some carriers charge you if someone leaves you a voicemail message (only if your phone is kept on. If you swap out SIMs, or shut your phone off, you won't get charged for voicemail delivery.)

Edit: Airplane mode is amazing for battery life lol
    Last edited by raino; 08-28-13 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Edit 2: voicemail clarification.
    08-28-13 09:06 PM
    I have never been charged or I don't think any carrier charges you to leave your phone on with Mobile Network ON. As long you data roaming is OFF that's really and only reason why you hear horror stories. If you don't answer a call or text I don't see how you could get charged correct?
    08-28-13 09:08 PM
    If you don't answer a call or text I don't see how you could get charged correct?
    Voicemail's a whole separate beast. Some carriers charge you (at roaming rates) just for "delivery;" roaming airtime for listening is additional (obviously.) I think I worded my previously post rather poorly, so I've cleaned it up a bit.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-28-13 09:26 PM
    I don't think any carrier charges you delivery of voicemail.. I think only if you actually "use" the service.. Like if you call your voice mail you would get charged..
    08-28-13 09:30 PM
    Read the link I provided above. AT&T does charge for delivery. Here is the section pertaining to voicemail:

Q. How am I charged for voicemail calls while roaming internationally?
    A. Voicemail calls are charged as follows:
    When your device is on:

• Calls that you do not answer that are routed to the AT&T voicemail system will be charged as an international roaming incoming call to your device.
    • In addition, the foreign carrier's routing of that call to the AT&T voicemail system may generate an outgoing call charge from your device's location to the U.S.
    • These charges apply even if the caller disconnects from the voicemail system without leaving a message.

If your device is turned off or in flight mode and the wireless network is off:
    • When someone tries to call you, the call will go directly to your personal voicemail greeting.
    • Since the network does not try to deliver the call to you in a foreign country, there are no international roaming charges.
    Edit: looks like TMO charges for delivery too. From this webpage,

Will calls and voicemail I receive from home cost extra?

Both incoming and outgoing calls are billed at the international roaming rate for the country you're in. Voicemail is also billed at the same rate.
    This covers the two largest GSM carriers in the US.
    Last edited by raino; 08-28-13 at 09:51 PM. Reason: TMO voicemail policy
    08-28-13 09:39 PM
    Thats for voice mail? As i does not make any sense as you did not answer the call you cant be charged anyways. As For Rogers i never got a charge for roaming unless i actually answered a call or text. As i leave Data Roaming OFF. I only may turn it on if i need to check something as they have a new rate 7.99/50MB. Every 24 Hours if you use Data.. Overall i dont think Roaming is a big problem.. I still dont understna dhow people rack up there bills.. They must be using youtube or something that is causing the big bills.
    08-28-13 10:13 PM
    Ok just to be clear on this... I am with Bell Canada . I leave "data services" on and "while roaming" off and I can get emergency phone calls in and Texts both BBM and SMS but will not incur addition roaming charges. Thanks
    08-28-13 10:52 PM
    Yes as data services only matters to your native carrier. It's the Data Roaming part has to be OFF.
    Leaving the network ON while roaming is no charge. Matter of answering a call if you want or text.
    08-28-13 11:03 PM
    Or just use a Legacy device and don't turn anything off, it's so efficient you'll get charged very little.
    08-29-13 04:29 AM
    Hi,sorry for bumping into this,just looking for answers by any means necessary.
    The letter 'P'' on my Q10 keypad not functioning properly.When pressed,'PA' shows on the screen everytime (started early this morning though).
    Really doing my head as when writing messages now ,keeps coming up like that and 'ENTER' also
    Any tip please
    Could it be a damage done by the phone case or something.Feels so incomplete right now with the thought of phone not working properly.
    08-29-13 09:55 AM
    Thats for voice mail? As i does not make any sense as you did not answer the call you cant be charged anyways.
    On AT&T and T-Mobile here, you get charged just for "delivery" (i.e. having your phone on and receiving a voicemail.) If you choose to listen to it from your phone, that's on top of this "delivery" charge.
    08-29-13 10:30 AM
    Yes same here but disabling voice mail before leaving is guaranteeing no charges what so ever. Also if you buy a travel pack before leaving there will be no charges for voice mail as it will deduct from your voice mins.
    08-29-13 10:34 AM
    Agree that disabling it would probably not incur any VM related charges, but buying a travel pack of minutes may not get you out of the delivery charge. I'd ask the carrier if it would, just to be sure.

I think most people incur large data bills just because they continue using data just like they would domestically, and just don't realize the obscene roaming rates carriers charge if you don't have a roaming plan. It's also a good idea to figure out if there are any background services consuming data, like the Reddit app I heard does on BB10.
    08-29-13 10:52 AM
    Yes i just asked Rogers they said it would come out of the travel pack minuets you purchase. If someone leaves a voice mail.
    Also yes thats the reason why roaming gets expensive is Data.. Without that i don't think its a big deal. Because .75 cents here and there is not that big or 1.45 min compared to Data rates that are as high as $8.00/MB! As MB can rack up quite fast. As texts and Voice can be controlled easily. Rogers has $40 Unlimited texting and 40 Mins voice Plan. Which is OK.
    08-29-13 11:18 AM
    Bump......
    08-30-13 08:17 PM
    Android Central article about US roaming rates: m.androidcentral.com/international-roaming-how-us-carriers-stack
    08-31-13 01:40 AM
    That article is about if you leave your Data Roaming ON..
    I'm saying leaving it OFF and just use it for calls and texts when roaming. As you don't get charged for incoming texts or calls.
    I don't believe in buying a prepaid sim as you don't keep your original #.. I would only buy 1 if I'm staying for longer than 2 months.
    08-31-13 09:13 AM
    I know. I was just posting it to buttress your point. If the rates are so ridiculous when you DO remember to get the roaming add-ons, imagine how bad they must be if you forget. Conclusion: don't forget to set roaming off.
    08-31-13 10:41 AM
    Ya just don't forget to leave Data Roaming OFF and everyone will be fine..
    08-31-13 10:46 AM
36 12