While I have no timeframe for this, it's been confirmed by a highly trustable source that mirrorlink protocol should appear on BB10 OS "soon". Pretty good news, if you were (as I was) frustrated (as I was) by the QNX car demo where we spotted a Sony device instead of our favorite BB10 devices (and all the noise about AppleCar).
    ---------------------------

VVV fun and 100% speculative zone VVVV
    Now, my natural fantaisy can't refrain to think it may be time for developers to gather informations about this protocol and consider a mirroring app for ... * ahum* ... the PlayBook ?
    bungaboy and theRock1975 like this.
    04-08-14 09:39 AM
    Hope to see more about it, "soon"!
    Superfly_FR and Xandrex_BSCF like this.
    04-08-14 09:52 AM
    Yup it was pretty much a given, I heard about it a while ago. Only issue is that only mirror link approved apps would work, even if all your phone's apps are perfectly capable of working. The apps have to receive the go ahead by mirror link otherwise they won't be able to be used through it.

- Developer of PinGuin
    04-08-14 10:26 AM
    Sorry, but for those who are not 100% sure what Mirrorlink is could you please explain? I have not seen this anywhere before (if it was shown with QNX car that would explain it since I do not own a QNX car so I don't read many of the articles on it). I assume it is a new form of bridge? Mirror whatever app is on your phone directly to the PlayBook or even (hoping) a mac or pc?
    04-08-14 10:30 AM
    Sorry, but for those who are not 100% sure what Mirrorlink is could you please explain? I have not seen this anywhere before (if it was shown with QNX car that would explain it since I do not own a QNX car so I don't read many of the articles on it). I assume it is a new form of bridge? Mirror whatever app is on your phone directly to the PlayBook or even (hoping) a mac or pc?
    Basically mirrors your phone's display on the head unit in the car, but it's different in the sense that you can manipulate and control stuff by touching the head unit screen instead of needing to touch your phone. Basically to someone who doesn't understand I would describe it sort of like an hdmi cable connected to a screen but you can actually touch the screen and control what's on it with touch. BlackBerry may add a car UI which would effectively make the BB10 OS look more car friendly when it is connected by mirror link, but otherwise if they don't implement that it will just show your BB10 home screen, etc

I believe there's also some standards that can connect buttons in your car to the OS and controlled stuff through that. Kind of like how there are standards for blue tooth pause, play, skip buttons, etc

- Developer of PinGuin
    04-08-14 11:38 AM
    Yup it was pretty much a given, I heard about it a while ago. Only issue is that only mirror link approved apps would work, even if all your phone's apps are perfectly capable of working. The apps have to receive the go ahead by mirror link otherwise they won't be able to be used through it.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Apps have to be validated by the maker of the device you want to run it into. It's not on the CCC (Connected car consortium).
    Sorry if unclear, as an example for automotive, if you have an app and want it to be granted in a Mercedes, then you have to deal with Mercedes.
    04-08-14 12:32 PM
    Apps have to be validated by the maker of the device you want to run it into. It's not on the CCC (Connected car consortium).
    Sorry if unclear, as an example for automotive, if you have an app and want it to be granted in a Mercedes, then you have to deal with Mercedes.
    From what I have read, it seems that Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink are competitors. It looks like permission to run an iOS app on the dash depends on CarPlay as long as the dash unit is CarPlay compatible.

2014's battle for dashboard supremacy: Apple's CarPlay vs. Google's OAA vs. MirrorLink - CNET
    04-08-14 12:43 PM
    Yea the documentation confused me. I just registered, I'm kind of skeptical about it having to be the carmaker. In the website it says "CCC certifies app as a mirrorlink compliant"

http://mirrorlink.com/sites/default/...Brochure_0.pdf

- Developer of PinGuin
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-08-14 01:05 PM
    So is mirrorlink a BlackBerry product? Or qnx? Or is it another company and blackberry would just be licensing it for use?

Would it be possible to mirror link to computers and tablets then?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 03:47 PM
    So is mirrorlink a BlackBerry product? Or qnx? Or is it another company and blackberry would just be licensing it for use?

Posted via CB10
    It's developed by a consortium of companies like Wifi, or Bluetooth

- Developer of PinGuin
    04-08-14 04:16 PM
    Perhaps this was what Thorsten was getting at. Tablets in the current form won't exist in 5 years(now 4.5)

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 04:59 PM
    Note that it isn't just the automakers who make MirrorLink-compatible head units. Aftermarket manufacturers like Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine use it too.

Just to be clear, is it the consortium that needs to approve apps, or is it the individual members?
    04-08-14 05:03 PM
    Thunder,
    AFAIK it is the individual members.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-08-14 06:29 PM
    From what I have read, it seems that Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink are competitors. It looks like permission to run an iOS app on the dash depends on CarPlay as long as the dash unit is CarPlay compatible.

2014's battle for dashboard supremacy: Apple's CarPlay vs. Google's OAA vs. MirrorLink - CNET
    AFAIK, in the case of Mercedes, for instance, AppleCar runs over QNX/mirrorlink. It's not a competitor, it's using mirrorlink which - to simplify - we should consider as a protocol, the likes DLNA or Miracast.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-09-14 at 03:11 AM.
    04-09-14 02:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    This sounds like it's strictly a connected automotive thing. Nothing to do with laptops, desktops, or whatever.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 10:56 AM
    This sounds like it's strictly a connected automotive thing. Nothing to do with laptops, desktops, or whatever.

Posted via CB10
    Darn...well I guess BBRY is working on Blend/Fuse so that will be it for the desktop!
    04-09-14 10:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    It could make its way into other areas like TVs and other peripherals. That would require touch sensitive technology on a 50" TV. Etc. Dunno how often people will want to use a TV with a touch screen or even desktop computers. I don't recall big sales coming from HP's large touch screen desktops.

- Developer of PinGuin
    04-09-14 11:22 AM
    Posted via CB10
    Nope. It has been initiated by the CCC, yet can be ported on any compatible platform device.
    04-09-14 11:25 AM
    If it requires each manufacturer to approve an app to use it, then it will be worthless. Imagine having for example, Spotify on your iPhone working in your Ford Taurus, but that same app on an Android phone doesn't work with MirrorLink. Or perhaps you have the same phone but you get a different car, only to find out that that particular manufacturer never approved the app. In that setup, BB10 apps would always be at the bottom of the heap as far as priority to get approval, compared to iOS, Android, and even WP. They might not even bother, claiming they don't have the resources to support BB.

It should just be that head unit software (QNX for example) and device software (BB10) have a trusted relationship, where the device software properly conforms to the specs and restrictions set forth by the head unit. The device software would properly react to what the head unit tells it (perhaps restricting certain functionality while the car is in motion, for example). If that is in place, then the trusted vendor of the device software (OS, really) would properly vet out apps for its own platform, and the device software ensures the app functions properly within the context and rules defined by the head unit software.
    04-09-14 11:30 AM
    They need dumb tablets with mirror link, sell them for 75$. Market it as a cell phone accessory. I always wanted something like this but Miracast doesn't allow you to control things on the mirrored device, didn't know mirrorlink existed

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-09-14 11:34 AM
    If it requires each manufacturer to approve an app to use it, [...]
    This is in the Automotive context, where there's a ton of security constraints and usage rules that are particular to a car infotainment/management system. More, they will engage the manufacturer's responsibility.
    Finally, a manufacturer may want to dictate a layout or design to ensure its proprietary system is not turned into a joke by a "fart app".

I'm sure you don't want an app randomly play with your breaks or direction ...

For the fun (article in Belgian, but video in English)
    http://www.lematin.ch/high-tech/Ils-...story/17237979
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-09-14 at 12:05 PM. Reason: r
    04-09-14 11:58 AM
    Tim Steven's article on CNET seems to be a pretty good summary of the dashboard players. He seems to divide up the dashboard infotainment platforms into Apple CarPlay vs. Google's OAA vs. MirrorLink. It seems that the platforms mostly display a UI and transmit touch commands to a smartphone. I don't see why anyone would worry that this would control automobile functions especially if the app is running on the smartphone. I'm not sure what role QNX actually plays other than displaying the UI (and audio) that the smartphone is sending and returning touch commands.

Although they seem to vary in the amount of control the car makers have over the apps, this desire will be tempered by the desire to support the most popular infotainment platform. The platform that has the most bureaucracy will quickly find themselves without the apps people want.

Last edited by early2bed; 04-09-14 at 01:30 PM.
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    04-09-14 12:35 PM
    Interesting stuff. Let's wait and see...

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    04-09-14 05:00 PM
    Let's hope BBRY releases a OS with this integrated. Without MirrorLink it's just one more reason not buy a Blackberry but Android or iPhone. I spend nearly two hours, 5 days a week in my car. My after market car stereo supports MirrorLink but I only have my z10 linked through BT. I use my iPod classic for music...
    04-15-14 08:51 PM
    Let's hope BBRY releases a OS with this integrated. Without MirrorLink it's just one more reason not buy a Blackberry but Android or iPhone. I spend nearly two hours, 5 days a week in my car. My after market car stereo supports MirrorLink but I only have my z10 linked through BT. I use my iPod classic for music...
    To be clear, havin mirrorlink aboard is more about integrating other devices INTO BB10.
    In fact, mirrolink supports many connection types, wired or over the air.
    BB10 ability to connect to a mirrorlink enabled system is a matter of app, not protocol.
    04-16-14 08:26 AM
47 12