An exceptional read from Bloomberg:

The Rise and Fall of BlackBerry: An Oral History - Businessweek

It's really long, so I won't post the whole thing here.
    12-05-13 07:45 AM
    Not sure about some of the comments from that Michaluk guy....

Picture of Alicia Keys.... really?
    12-05-13 07:56 AM
    A few select quotes:

Dymond: The field reps and carriers were asking, “Why don’t you guys advertise?” I do remember asking the question, and it came down to, “We don’t need to.” Being successful at RIM was all about being close to the carriers. I’m not sure what we were doing to get customers in the door.
    Michaluk: When iPhone 3G and Bold 9000 came out at the same time, I ripped the [Bold 9000] apart in an article because the browser was completely unusable. BlackBerry launched that Web browser without it really working. That Bold 9000 browser was one of the cracks in the egg.

Washington: One thing we missed out on was that Justin Bieber wanted to rep BlackBerry. He said, “Give me $200,000 and 20 devices, and I’m your brand ambassador,” basically. And we pitched that to marketing: Here’s a Canadian kid, he grew up here, all the teeny-boppers will love that. They basically threw us out of the room. They said, “This kid is a fad. He’s not going to last.” I said at the meeting: “This kid might outlive RIM.” Everyone laughed.
    12-05-13 07:56 AM
    Not sure about some of the comments from that Michaluk guy....
    Yeah, really.

Michaluk: BB10 was too different. They killed the track pad. They killed the back button, so all your muscle memory of how things work goes out the door.
    12-05-13 07:59 AM
    A few select quotes:

Dymond: The field reps and carriers were asking, “Why don’t you guys advertise?” I do remember asking the question, and it came down to, “We don’t need to.”
    I can't remember if I've told this story before but a few years ago I had a meeting with a senior UK BBRY figure, his words to me were "We don't follow the market, we ARE the market".
    bekkay, kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    12-05-13 09:50 AM
    I can't remember if I've told this story before but a few years ago I had a meeting with a senior UK BBRY figure, his words to me were "We don't follow the market, we ARE the market".
    Sounds very much like the corporate culture that has lead to BlackBerry not understanding the market they once controlled.

I had expect the PlayBook to have taught BlackBerry a critical lesson about the need to provide competitive pricing, an OS with features and most importantly that a device without applications that people wanted to use was unsaleable.... but I guess it is our fault for not understanding the market that BlackBerry invisions.
    mertin.m and techvisor like this.
    12-05-13 10:30 AM
    So I take it that the Bieber ship has sailed?...

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 10:46 AM
    Yeah, really.

Michaluk: BB10 was too different. They killed the track pad. They killed the back button, so all your muscle memory of how things work goes out the door.
    This is only mildly a concern because of the word "was". The context doesn't matter if the past tense is used.
    12-05-13 11:58 AM
    Thanks for posting that. It was a very interesting, and well edited, article.

You can almost feel the momentum draining from the company as the story unfolds. The sense of MikeL as a typical engineer, more interested in exploring neat ideas than in commercially marketable product, shines through.

And the tale about the pearl flip phone being introduced mostly because it had a neat hinge design the engineers wanted to show off despite every survey saying consumers wanted candy bars has the perfect ring of truth (sadly).

The surprise, for me, was how much I'm warming to JimB. I've always regarded him as a bit of a snake-oil salesman in the past. The more I read about him (here and elsewhere), I get the sense of someone struggling to inject a sense of commercial reality in a room full of techies obsessed by "clever tech" and who (through arrogance?) can't see that their world is changing.

I'm sure Jim smiles a wry grin now that BBM has gone cross-platform and might actually become a success. One of his ideas that was roundly ridiculed.

So, excellent article!
    m1a1mg, kevinnugent and techvisor like this.
    12-05-13 01:26 PM
    Cool article

Post via my AWESOME Q10! BBM Channel: C12140D
    12-05-13 01:29 PM
    Mike L, from what I've read, seems like a seat of your pants type of guy who knew what people wanted. When he ceased to understand the market, he failed to adapt.
    12-05-13 02:02 PM
    Bruce Poon Tip, Canadian entrepreneur, founder of G Adventures: ...

In Canada at the time, dot-coms were notorious for ripping off U.S. ideas. Bid.com was supposed to be the EBay (EBAY) for Canada; JobShark was the Monster.com (MWW). They’d get funding and generate all this excitement. Meanwhile, up walks Jim, who had a truly revolutionary idea, and nobody really thought it would work. It’s an inferiority thing.

Ouch.
    12-05-13 02:04 PM
    Mike L, from what I've read, seems like a seat of your pants type of guy who knew what people wanted. When he ceased to understand the market, he failed to adapt.
    Yes, I agree.

The part of the article where his failure to understand that consumers wanted a camera says it all really. It's a form of arrogance, the guy has a brain the size of a planet and I suspect nothing would have ever convinced him that he was wrong in assuming that he knew what was best.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Jim and Mike were alone together. LOL
    m1a1mg likes this.
    12-05-13 02:12 PM
    Yes, I agree.

The part of the article where his failure to understand that consumers wanted a camera says it all really. It's a form of arrogance, the guy has a brain the size of a planet and I suspect nothing would have ever convinced him that he was wrong in assuming that he knew what was best.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Jim and Mike were alone together. LOL
    I would love to hear story about the meeting of Jobs and Mike L. Both were arrogant and thought they knew the best what the consumers wanted.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    12-05-13 02:43 PM
    Final part:

Jeff Gadway, current senior manager for product marketing: When you go into the focus groups, and you talk to customers about brands in the technology space, there are brands that don’t come up at all anymore. And then there’s BlackBerry. People have fond sentiments about BlackBerry. If people didn’t have that affinity toward the brand, I would be challenged to really believe in what we’re doing. People want to see BlackBerry succeed.
    This guy has to go. They are obviously not doing the focus groups outside of Waterloo because in my recent experience I have not heard anyone (other than a few of the Uber fans here who reality escapes) who have an affinity or are pulling for the brand, and that is dealing in the Federal sector where they still have a presence. I think that this is the major problem at BlackBerry right now, they don't realize that the name BlackBerry in relation to phones has too much negativity tied to it.
    oilgeo10, milo53 and kevinnugent like this.
    12-05-13 02:55 PM
    Is CrackBerry Kevin even a fan anymore?

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    12-05-13 03:18 PM
    Final part:

This guy has to go. They are obviously not doing the focus groups outside of Waterloo because in my recent experience I have not heard anyone (other than a few of the Uber fans here who reality escapes) who have an affinity or are pulling for the brand, and that is dealing in the Federal sector where they still have a presence. I think that this is the major problem at BlackBerry right now, they don't realize that the name BlackBerry in relation to phones has too much negativity tied to it.
    Agree, have heard too many statements from BlackBerry higher ups that just scream that they are out of touch with the real world.

Too many people I know celebrated the day they got rid of their BlackBerry and move to another platform, and to be honest I understand why. Over the last few years the user experience on a BBOS device couldn't touch the experience on an Android or iPhone. I do think that BB10 is getting things right, but I think BlackBerry needed a reality check before they launched.... afterwards might have been a little too late.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-05-13 03:26 PM
    Is CrackBerry Kevin even a fan anymore?

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    There is no doubt he is a fan... think he has grown out of being a fanboy. A good woman will make a man out of most boys.
    12-05-13 03:28 PM
    Thanks, nice read.
    12-05-13 03:55 PM
    There is no doubt he is a fan... think he has grown out of being a fanboy. A good woman will make a man out of most boys.
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.
    12-05-13 03:56 PM
    Final part:

Bear in mind he still works for the company, so you can't expect him to say any different about it - well not if he wants to keep his job... Remember how Mike L rubbished the iPhone in public but we now know that privately he was very worried by the device.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
    techvisor and m1a1mg like this.
    12-05-13 03:57 PM
    Too much, too fast, or so it seems. When your traveling at 200 mph things go past you without noticing, even a sign saying "bridge out ahead".
    Once again Jim seems to be somewhat insight full, as was pointed out in the globe article months back, and yet he couldn't pull it together.
    I would hope Mr Chen can put the "FLOW" (that Thornsten Talked about) into blackberry the company, and not just BB10.
    Last edited by abwan11; 12-05-13 at 07:17 PM.
    12-05-13 07:05 PM
    I read that other piece from the Globe and Mail about the downfall...was cringe-worthy at every paragraph.

Because the Storm was such a massive pile, Verizon threw their resources behind android to go up against AT&T and iPhone. Oops.

SMS 2.0? Nah, we'll do that later.

And apparently there was a huge deal in place with China to be the exclusive provider, but it also just fizzled out?

I think my Z10 is great, but it appears the Q10 probably should have been the first BB10 device.

Can you imagine where the company would be if they had not taken these missteps?

Also, I'm not a fan of Bieber at all, but having a globally recognizable icon with a rabid fan base would have been a home run. And I think those who say otherwise because they don't personally like or agree with him are suffering the same hubris that took down Mike and Jim.

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg, techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    12-05-13 10:10 PM
    I think the breathtaking hubris is what makes blackberry so interesting to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    milo53 likes this.
    12-07-13 03:54 AM
    Money and success has its price, if it comes easy, it will go just as easily, if you work hard at it, it will be just as hard to hold on to it, and Inevitably you destroy yourself in the end, it's the only way to stop the vicious cycle.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    12-07-13 06:17 AM
28 12