01-18-13 12:32 AM
64 123
tools
    Yes, the kindle has a pretty good text to speech (sounds like Siri voice), not all of them have it, the old kindle keyboard and the kindle touch do, the paperwhite doesn't as far as I know but I expect new versions of the paperwhite will do.
    It does seem like the focus for Amazon these days is on the tablets for more additional features and the ereaders get more features in the areas where it enhances the reading experience as seen by the paperwhite getting the reading light but losing out on the tts at the same time amazon introduce an enhanced version of that for the tablets.
    12-22-12 03:45 AM
    Yes, the kindle has a pretty good text to speech (sounds like Siri voice), not all of them have it, the old kindle keyboard and the kindle touch do, the paperwhite doesn't as far as I know but I expect new versions of the paperwhite will do.

Also, colour eink screens are coming soon and they will be ideal for comic books.

Check this out:

I owned one of those kindles that had text to speech. It's awful and robotic. If you consider that "pretty good" then you haven't heard what the state of the art sounds like. Besides it's not available for many books, it is blocked because of perceived competition with audio books. Here is the kicker though. No Bluetooth. Primary uses of listening while working out is impossible

Color is not the only requirement for comic books. Have you tried reading comic books on any device? Size matters. You need it for the text bubbles at the very least and you need it for the full page layout. You need a way to zoom in and out as well.
    12-22-12 05:40 AM
    I'm not sure where you get your info on Amazon's catalogue, but it is an extremely outdated view on the reality when it comes to ebooks and as far as Kobo being strong in international markets that is relative to how poor they are in the states since they are nothing special anywhere else either.

As far as the exclusivity deal, if that is true then I would hope that whoever made that deal was one of the ones that lost their job in the redundancies as that was a moronic move.
    Eh, what? Amazons movie and music catalogue might be exclusive to the states, but their book catalogue is the same internationally as in the states...
    12-22-12 05:50 AM
    I owned one of those kindles that had text to speech. It's awful and robotic. If you consider that "pretty good" then you haven't heard what the state of the art sounds like. Besides it's not available for many books, it is blocked because of perceived competition with audio books. Here is the kicker though. No Bluetooth. Primary uses of listening while working out is impossible

Color is not the only requirement for comic books. Have you tried reading comic books on any device? Size matters. You need it for the text bubbles at the very least and you need it for the full page layout. You need a way to zoom in and out as well.
    It's pretty simple...
    If you want to read magazines - get a tablet.
    If you want to read comic books - get a tablet.
    If you want to listen to books - get a tablet.

Most serious book readers only read books (not listen to them) and don't read comic books. They just read a lot of books for long periods of time.

I've read over 100 books in the last year with my Kobo Touch. With a tablet I doubt I would've reached 20 books as the LCD backlighting would've forced me to read for much shorter lengths of time and I also wouldn't be able to read outdoors in the sun, or indoors with a lot of lighting.

Without even trying I've converted 8 people from using their tablets to read books just by showing them my Kobo Touch. They had no idea e-ink was so much better until they actually tried one. They all own a Kobo Touch now.

There'll always be a market for e-ink or the equivalent of it.
    jegs2 likes this.
    12-22-12 09:39 AM
    I think that the whole eink being more readable is overstated, there are plenty of people who are just fine with LCD and personally I have read extensively on my playbook as well as my ereaders if I have started reading something in the afternoon and been too engrossed in the book to stop to turn on a light and instead swapped to my tablet.

The bigger pluses for me come from the battery life and the weight of the ereader, with the latter having a greater influence on reading comfort than eink over LCD for me.

Sadly for me the paperwhite continues the trend started with the kindle touch by doing away with page turn buttons so while my lovely new ereader is more useful than my old one, it is not as comfortable to use when compared with resting your thumb on page forward and needing almost no movement when reading and I hope that they bring something back in the next version even if it is capacitive buttons to avoid the chance of increased hw failures vs no buttons.
    12-23-12 01:34 AM
    For my own part, have a Playbook on which I used to read Kobo books. Before that, I'd had Sony Readers. Missed the e-ink aspect of readers - easier on the eyes, and dedicated e-ink readers have a long battery life.

Then out came the Kobo Glo, and my wife ordered one for me. I'm back to reading books on an e-reader, and my Playbook has shifted to other purposes (mostly collecting dust, or serving as a mobile web browser).
    12-23-12 09:49 AM
    While gift shopping for Xmas, I found great deal on Kobo mini. $29.99, I just couldn't resist. I usually keep a couple of books on my 9900 so I can read waiting in line anywhere but now I carry Kobo mini around too.
    01-15-13 11:32 PM
    While gift shopping for Xmas, I found great deal on Kobo mini. $29.99, I just couldn't resist. I usually keep a couple of books on my 9900 so I can read waiting in line anywhere but now I carry Kobo mini around too.
    I like my mini so much, I went and got a glo. Now I have it for bedside and the mini in my purse.

PHONE: Galaxy S3 Garnet Red
    ROM: AOKP Jellybean 4.2.1
    01-17-13 10:42 AM
    I know that sony gets a bad rep for being overpriced in this market... but I have only had sony readers and I think they are the very best on the market (obviously i have used friends kobos and others to compare)

I LOVE the buttons so that I can read using only one hand and I NEVER have a problem with them. The software for the computer end is a bit crappy... but i use calibre anyways.
    01-17-13 04:15 PM
    I got my Kobo touch before I got my Playbook. Only in the last few days that I start reading on my Playbook. I like Kobo because it's so light by comparison and batteries last much longer. The advantage stop there because its not as intuitive as the Playbook. The Kobo take a few minutes to start and the gesture response is very slow. I do not get the option of going to a specific chapter. With the Ereader app on Playbook it's much more user friendly. It's back lit. I dont have to switch off my lamp if i read in bed or turn off the overhead light in a plane during flight.
    01-17-13 08:36 PM
    The Kindle and Kobo were born to make way for consumption of ebooks. With apps being available on tablets neither Chapters nor Amazon will really want to invest in a product that it hasn't really made all that money in the first place.
    01-17-13 10:17 PM
    Our store sold out now probably 7 shipments of Kobo over Christmas... Far more than the demand for tablets.

I will take an e reader over reading a book on a tablet any day, particularly outside.

PHONE: Galaxy S3 Garnet Red
    ROM: AOKP Jellybean 4.2.1
    01-18-13 12:00 AM
    I try e-reader and sorry, I just hate it. I would buy a book to read cuz I can actually turn over paper by paper, I like this feeling more
    (so actually my comment is irrelevant plz ignore me)
    01-18-13 12:20 AM
    I enjoy both formats. The ease of use, and longevity of battery make the ereader a winner, but until the glo and paperwhite, dark rooms were a problem. I would not mind getting a glo, but given that I have two tablets and two phones with kobo / kindle apps, and a Sony ereader, I guess I am set up for the moment.
    01-18-13 12:32 AM
64 123