If chief legal from Apple, Google, Nokia, Samsung, or any other company left, the headlines would barely make any ripples. Here's the article on Apple's chief patent counsel leaving:

Apple’s chief patent lawyer to leave: source - The Globe and Mail

Note the complete difference in tone. I know Apple's a different company, but come on. People leave, people retire, people get fired. It's one person.
    05-28-12 07:58 PM
    My friend is a journalist, she forwarded me this link to her society's website:

It is the mission of the Society of Professional Journalists:

� To promote this flow of information.
    � To maintain constant vigilance in protection of the First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and of the press.
    � To stimulate high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism.
    � To foster excellence among journalists.
    � To inspire successive generations of talented individuals to become dedicated journalists.
    � To encourage diversity in journalism.
    � To be the pre-eminent, broad-based membership organization for journalists.
    � To encourage a climate in which journalism can be practiced freely.
    I nearly fell off my chair from laughing so hard. Ethics go out the window, when sensationalism is as old as journalism, plus it brings clicks & eye ball counts.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    05-28-12 08:33 PM
    It is the mission of the Society of Professional Journalists:

� To promote this flow of information.
    � To maintain constant vigilance in protection of the First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and of the press.
    � To stimulate high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism.
    � To foster excellence among journalists.
    � To inspire successive generations of talented individuals to become dedicated journalists.
    � To encourage diversity in journalism.
    � To be the pre-eminent, broad-based membership organization for journalists.
    � To encourage a climate in which journalism can be practiced freely.

I nearly fell off my chair from laughing so hard. Ethics go out the window, when sensationalism is as old as journalism, plus it brings clicks & eye ball counts.
    Oh that is GOLD
    I would suspect 90% of the Blog journalists even on reputable news sites haven't read this in their entire career.
    05-28-12 08:38 PM
    though it is hard to say,

her age seems to be a closely guarded secret
    Most women's ages are!
    05-28-12 08:49 PM
    Most women's ages are!
    I disagree

I know MANY 29 year olds who are happy to say they've been 29.....
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    05-28-12 08:51 PM
    Reuter's article updated : UPDATE 2-RIM's top lawyer joins parade of resignations | Reuters

Interesting "explanations" about Heins HR strategy:

CLEANING HOUSE
    RIM is quietly cleaning out layers of management and recruiting f resh faces to fill important roles in a new structure being fashioned under Heins, who himself replaced longtime co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie in January.
    "Thorsten has a very different leadership style," said one former RIM employee who left several months ago. "He is picking a very specific organizational structure, inner circle, external hires and strategy, and a lot of folks aren't 100 percent comfortable with it."
    The former employee spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect his ongoing business relationship with the company.
    The Waterloo, Ontario-based company currently employs around 16,500 people globally. Two sources with close connections to RIM have told Reuters that RIM plans to bring its workforce closer to 10,000 by early next year.
    The sources asked to go unidentified because their disclosures would hurt their relationships with RIM.
    The cuts will affect RIM's legal, marketing, sales, operations, and human resources divisions, one of the sources said.
    "The Research In Motion people have come to know is very likely to be a much smaller organization in the near future," said IDC's Restivo. "It's a reflection of the company's smartphone struggles. Call it an trailing indicator if you will."
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-29-12 at 12:55 AM.
    05-29-12 12:51 AM

Hehehe. There is always a gap between what one professes and what one practices. The question is how big the gap is.
    05-29-12 12:59 AM
    Not too unusual to see multiple departures from a company when there has been such a dramatic change in executive management. With a new CEO & COO some may feel their styles may conflict, feel they were passed over for roles in the new organization and many other reasons, and decide it is better to get out of the way and let the new management direct the company. The fact that it is providing news for the media to jump on is not surprising. What is surprising is that the CEO could not manage better to time the departures or the announcement, especially if a true retirement. The Chief Legal Officer leaving shortly after the announcement of layoffs and the departure of the Global Sales VP will just feed the news media. Of course there could be contractual or other reasons for the timing.
    05-29-12 05:04 AM
    Anyone working in a large company/industry knows the following (unless you have been asleep for a long time):

Senior level managers/leaders NEVER get "fired".

They "resign" / "retire" / "pursue other long held interests" / "move on to a position more aligned with the companies strategies" , "offer there tremendous expertise elsewhere due to needs of the business" etc., etc. (the list of monikers for "fired" goes on and on)

Now, this may be a legitimate retirement, or an "encouraged" retirement. Only two entities know for sure, the individual, and the company.

From where I sit, either way one slices it (and I happen to like RIM and loath the other common offerings in the smartphone arena), I must admit, the propensity of evidence would suggest to ME, that it is NOT looking good.

If I were working for a company where similiar things were happening, I would rig the ship for impact, and be out there peddling my resume' NOW.

It's sad and unfortuneate, but I hope I am wrong and will be proven a pessimist. If I were a handicapper, it would take a huge point spread for me to lay money on RIM based on what the public is being told, or what is wrangled out of them.
    05-29-12 09:13 AM
    Sensationalist headline I guess.

Crazy idea here but would it hurt for RIM to post press releases for all this stuff to kinda take out the middle people who clearly are spinning things?
    Sensationalist?? Seriously ?? can you qualify that just what does that mean????? How in the world can a simple headline of "Retirement" be construed as sensationalist...wow some people.........

I've also read it was biased....man oh man you guys different then the iPhone fanboyz?? please go look in the mirror.......

There can be two possible explanations here for the headline that quickly come to mind. There may be more sure....
    1- the executive is going to really retire, in which case great for him. Hurt his resume really, you folks work out here long???? (from a previous post)
    2- The retirement is part of the house cleaning and also part of corporate image damage control.
    3.- fill in your story...lol....

I've seen both in the utility world over the last 28 years just part of life when a company is struggling to meet it business metrics.

But the comments here about how it's all biased against RIMM, really people give it a rest...

Look at the UNbiased numbers from a technical analysis point of view:
    RIMM | Stock Price Quote for Research In Motion Limited
    RIMM | Barchart Snapshot Opinion for Research In Motion Limited
    RIMM | Barchart Opinion for Research In Motion Limited

This is something THEY did all to themselves for whatever reason we will never know.

It's part of the 'hidden social corporate culture". It happens but it looks like too many of you folks are so emotionally attached to this company that any fresh or other view points are worthy to be bashed and trashed because it does not follow one's narrative.

We will see how this pans out but only in due time. as mentioned before they will have to hit a home run with BB10 on time on target with hardware and software. If not then the last fan boy can turn out the lights.

Don't delude yourself that they are too big to fail. You should know the many stories of how that has worked out for some of the biggies.

Enjoy the barchart and hope you use it to build a small fortune in the future happy investing yah'll....
    05-29-12 12:01 PM
    Anyone working in a large company/industry knows the following (unless you have been asleep for a long time):

They "resign" / "retire" / "pursue other long held interests" / "move on to a position more aligned with the companies strategies" , "offer there tremendous expertise elsewhere due to needs of the business" etc., etc. (the list of monikers for "fired" goes on and on)

Now, this may be a legitimate retirement, or an "encouraged" retirement. Only two entities know for sure, the individual, and the company.

From where I sit, either way one slices it (and I happen to like RIM and loath the other common offerings in the smartphone arena), I must admit, the propensity of evidence would suggest to ME, that it is NOT looking good.

If I were working for a company where similiar things were happening, I would rig the ship for impact, and be out there peddling my resume' NOW.

It's sad and unfortuneate, but I hope I am wrong and will be proven a pessimist. If I were a handicapper, it would take a huge point spread for me to lay money on RIM based on what the public is being told, or what is wrangled out of them.
    Good post grumpy......
    Sounds like you've been around also long enough to see it all unfold...oh yeah "grumpy" ha...lol...I'm there too.....
    Last edited by Chinookman; 05-29-12 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    05-29-12 12:04 PM
    Does anyone know how much cash RIMM still has on the books? This is really looking like a company headed towards its demise.
    05-29-12 12:15 PM

Very true. Jim Balsillie "retired" too. I would not be surprised if he resurfaces at another company.

For example Robbie Bach "retired" from Microsoft but is now on the board of Sonos.
    05-29-12 12:15 PM
    It's a couple billion with no debt. If they get their costs down, they can survive on lower revenues - so they're not close to a demise in the 'bankruptcy' sense.
    Hopefully they can stave off any acquisition and get the BB10 devices launched.

Does anyone know how much cash RIMM still has on the books? This is really looking like a company headed towards its demise.
    05-29-12 01:19 PM
    Good post grumpy......
    Sounds like you've been around also long enough to see it all unfold...oh yeah "grumpy" ha...lol...I'm there too.....
    yeah, I gotta little scar tissue on the back of my front....

Of course, looking at it pragmatically, a true, disclosed, "firing" makes the other senior leaders "look bad" as one, or several of them, signed off on hiring/promoting the genius, and, as we know, their egos would NEVER allow anyone/anything to even imply that they did something that was, even slightly, misguided.....because they NEVER do at that level...

It's always "circumstances beyond our control that, in no way, could ever have been forseen--- circumstances for out of the ordinary and THEIR control, for sure"...

LOL
    05-29-12 02:22 PM
    That's true. The first casualty of the lying Yahoo CEO was the woman who hired him. She got fired the day before he resigned.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-29-12 02:39 PM
    Cash on hand is no measure of future success your looking at the wrong metrics. follow the three links above that I posted for a snap shot of their potential future...
    05-29-12 04:16 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD