I love surepress.

Living without it is a pain.

Number one thing for me, being able to wake the device.

I hate on a touch screen how you have to click the lock button every freaking time you want to do anything at all on the phone. It's annoying. It's even more annoying to have to click and then swype something. With Surepress you just press it and it wakes unless you have locked it. If it's locked you simply unlock it and use it without haveing to swype.

The ability to have the cursor is also a nice feature of surepress....bring up the cursor move it and select with a press. It also helps make flick scrolling easier as there is no chance of accidentally selecting something.

I actually switched back to blackberry simply because the touchscreen is annoying on android. I can use it fine, I can type on it fine. I definitely miss the bigger screen.

Surepress gives you the best of both worlds IMO. The bigger screen, the tactile feel, elimination of the annoyances of touchscreens.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 03-08-11 at 11:24 AM.
    03-08-11 11:18 AM
    I can't stand SurePress, but for those who like it, it would be nice for RIM to keep the option. Especially if they are able to turn it on or off.
    Surepress was awful. Even if it's optional, I still wouldn't want my screen functioning like a big button LOL. But I suppose it's a good option for those that do like it.
    03-08-11 11:19 AM
    I also don't think pressure detection will cut it unless you can click or press it somehow.....
    03-08-11 11:21 AM
    I love surepress.

Living without it is a pain.

Number one thing for me, being able to wake the device.

I hate on a touch screen how you have to click the lock button every freaking time you want to do anything at all on the phone. It's annoying. With Surepress you just press it and it wakes unless you have locked it. The ability to have the cursor is also a nice feature of surepress....bring up the cursor move it and select with a press.

I actually switched back to blackberry simply because the touchscreen is annoying on android. I can use it fine, I can type on it fine. I definitely miss the bigger screen.

Surepress gives you the best of both worlds IMO. The bigger screen, the tactile feel, elimination of the annoyances of touchscreens.
    So I would assume that you just don't do well with touchscreen devices. After a while most people get use to them and if a person doesn't then I would think they just aren't a touchscreen user and more suited to having something with physical (or at least feel physical) buttons. But it case you didn't know on most Android touchscreen phones, you can remove the lock and therefore wake by only pressing one of the soft keys or sleep key. Much like pressing surepress once.
    03-08-11 11:22 AM
    Yeah, I don't get how you guys or gals are hitting so many links on a capcative screen. I do, but is in a blue moon. I would take that over surepress any day of the week.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah i agree. Anyone who is constantly selecting the wrong stuff either:

1. Is using a phone where the calibration is slightly off
    2. Not use to nor cares to get use to the touchscreen
    3. Has sausage fingers
    4. Just is not a touchscreen type of person

Otherwise, they are just exaggerating like capacitive touch screens are so awful and surepress is the best thing ever. I'm more accurate on an iPhone and Android capacitive screen than I ever was on that awful Storm. Remember trying to select stuff that was in the corner of the screen? And using copy and paste? Worst experience ever with a "touchscreen".
    03-08-11 11:26 AM
    So I would assume that you just don't do well with touchscreen devices. After a while most people get use to them and if a person doesn't then I would think they just aren't a touchscreen user and more suited to having something with physical (or at least feel physical) buttons. But it case you didn't know on most Android touchscreen phones, you can remove the lock and therefore wake by only pressing one of the soft keys or sleep key. Much like pressing surepress once.
    Nope....I can use the touchscreen fine.

I do toggle the lock on and off on the droid2 as well.

None of that changes that surepress is a good thing that increases the efficiency and usability of a phone.

It just like a video game controller....in the Atari 2600 days you say why you need so many buttons? The more buttons on the controller the more control you have. I like to have more control.

I have used both....how much have you used surepress?
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 03-08-11 at 11:33 AM.
    03-08-11 11:28 AM
    I loved surepress. It's really natural to use. I keep opening links and programs I don't want on my Torch. I have had to put PatternLock on to try to stop it. It's difficult to pick the Torch up without touching something. Besides that, surepress makes typing really easy with the possitive click feedback. I could type faster on my old Storm than on the Torch, even with physical keyboard.

Please bring it back..Even better if it can be turned off to suite everyone.
    03-08-11 11:28 AM
    Nope....I can use the touchscreen fine.

I do toggle the lock on and off on the droid2 as well.

None of that changes that surepress is a good thing that increases the efficiency and usability of a phone.

It just like a video game controller....in the Atari 2600 days you say why you need so many buttons? The more buttons on the controller the more control you have. I like to have more control.
    Ok I got you. You like surepress more. Understood.

I never like having to press the screen in to select what I wanted. I wanted a touchscreen to be just that, a touchscreen. I touch it and it does it instead of having to make an extra gesture. Typing long texts and emails became a problem especially since the Storm's virtual keypad was nowhere near as reliable as an actual QWERTY but less responsive than a capacitive touchscreen. So in my experience, it was just the worst ever. But having a option isn't a bad idea to give BB users the option to use the method best for them.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-08-11 at 11:34 AM.
    03-08-11 11:31 AM
    Ok I got you. You like surepress more. Understood.

I never like having to press the screen in to select what I wanted. I wanted a touchscreen to be just that, a touchscreen. I touch it and it does it instead of having to make an extra gesture. Typing long texts and emails became a problem especially since the Storm's virtual keypad was nowhere near as reliable as an actual QWERTY but less responsive than a capacitive touchscreen. So in my experience, it was just the worst ever. But having a option isn't a bad idea to give BB users the option to use the method best for them.
    Sounds like your issue was largely with the Storm's performance rather than Surepress.

In many ways a touchscreen with out surepress is like a mouse that does not click. Clicking is not a bad thing for a mouse.
    03-08-11 02:43 PM
    Sounds like your issue was largely with the Storm's performance rather than Surepress.

In many ways a touchscreen with out surepress is like a mouse that does not click. Clicking is not a bad thing for a mouse.
    It was both the Storm and surepress. Didn't like the whole "big button" thing and having to click it because it was natural to just touch it. Believe me, I wanted to like it after standing in the cold snow for 2 hours before launch. I was touting surepress before I even used it so trust me I was trying to love it. But a regular touch screen just felt a lot better. I agree that a screen is in many ways like a mouse that does not click but a mouse doesn't just hover over something and select it. It's made to click. A touchscreen phone is made to just touch. Just think about this, the playbook won't be surepress. Why? Because just touching and swiping is sufficient. It's not necessary to further click once you already know what you want.
    03-08-11 04:04 PM
    Glad we have this discussion back... That is the main reason to kill SurePress. To end this discussion. LOL

I like SurePress and think that SP and SureType are a great combination. If they could get the leg to go away it would be killer.

I don't think you will see an on/off option. It would change the UI input to drastically. Actions like long press, tap, and short press would have to take on diffrent functions once you toggle it on and off. Since rim can't really get 1 touch interface right, how do we expect them to get 2 on the same device?

Also I wonder what it would do to the sdk? I mean they are trying to sell developers on the ease of porting their work to rim via webworks and air. So now you have this whole other input mechanism. That's why opera just stick with capscutive input. Easier for them to not have that fork in their code.

03-08-11 04:14 PM
    Crackberry would be a lot less interesting without Stormtroopers. SurePress must live.
    03-08-11 07:35 PM

I wouldn't really compare the clicking of the Storms screen to the clicking of a mouse. You don't type on a mouse (at least I don't). I found it obnoxious to have to click in the screen for each and every letter I wanted to input. Sure it is nice for exact selection, but I never misclick anything with my iPhone or Android devices (even on the Storm I didn't misclick) using pinch to zoom (talking about links and apps here). Gliding your thumbs around a multitouch pure capacitive screen is much easier IMO, but I can see why some people like the feedback of SurePress.
    03-08-11 08:59 PM
    I really want SurePress. It is leaps and bounds better than any other touch phone I have ever used.

If RIM was smart they would keep up on the surepress, great way to be differentiated in a market increasingly dominated by bland touchscreens.
    03-08-11 10:12 PM
    Saying that Surepress should die is like saying Rim shouldn't make Pearls, Pearls Flip, Curves just because the Bold and Torch are better. There's a market for everybody.
    If anything I would've liked them to find a way to seal the edges of the screen.

03-09-11 02:08 AM
    For the record, I like SurePress.
    It's a lot like the touch pads on laptops that you can move around on then click to select. It's seems natural to me, but I think it may take time for some people to get the hang of it and that is what turns people off right away when they try it in the store.

RIM has always been about offering options. Like others have said, the ultimate solution would be to offer a form of SurePress that could be shut off. That way you can choose the option you prefer and everyone is happy.
    03-09-11 02:21 AM
    If you give people the option to shut it off, I guarantee that (for most) it will remain off most of the time.
    That is a pretty strong Guarantee

I am Very sure that it will remain what the default setting is by the large portion of the population.

IF RIM defaults it active, it will be active, if RIM defaults it inactive it will be inactive, so few people actually play with settings! I still show people how to turn down the brightness of their screens, and they think I'm some uber geek for knowing how to do it, not that I'm not, but that is a basic function! come on people
    Machzy likes this.
    03-09-11 05:35 AM
    I like my Surepress; but it would be one less thing to worry about going bad w/o it.

03-09-11 01:00 PM
    Oh yeah, and one of my issues with the droid is that occasionally the dang thing won't wake up. I know this is not normal, but it happens, and I have heard others have the issue. I think No Lock app might be part of the issue, but I am having a heckuva time trying to figure it out.

I am telling you this because you seem to care And I have the need to rant.

I can accept my blackberry freezing and stuttering because I know when to expect it, but when my phones screen simply wont wake up randomly for no rhyme or reason I can't take it.

Maybe once I work out all the unacceptable bugs with the droid I will start using it again. I need some type of bluetooth remote too to control music while driving....
    03-09-11 01:16 PM
    Oh yeah, and one of my issues with the droid is that occasionally the dang thing won't wake up. I know this is not normal, but it happens, and I have heard others have the issue. I think No Lock app might be part of the issue, but I am having a heckuva time trying to figure it out.

I am telling you this because you seem to care And I have the need to rant.

I can accept my blackberry freezing and stuttering because I know when to expect it, but when my phones screen simply wont wake up randomly for no rhyme or reason I can't take it.

Maybe once I work out all the unacceptable bugs with the droid I will start using it again. I need some type of bluetooth remote too to control music while driving....

That's certainly understandable. I have had some no so good experiences with some touchscreen devices. When I have the Nexus 1, the calibration was off slightly and couldn't be fixed. So when selecting things in text boxes, you have to touch slightly above the box. It was a pain in the arse. And when holding the device downward when you're laying down or something the screen was no responsive. Thought it was my phone but it turned out to be a problem with all N1's so my experience with that was interesting to say the least. But the EVO was an entirely different story. A very good one and not issues like the N1 and it was funny because I found myself touching the soft keys by accident more than things on the screen.

So I'm saying to say that it's highly probable that touchscreen experience is dependent on the actual device and the manufacturer because there can be a device that makes us love touchscreens and another that makes us loathe it. The Storm is the reason I loathe surepress because I had a terrible experience after telling all my friends "this thing is better than the iPhone" while at the same time, I can't select stuff in the corner of the screen and can't select what I want to copy and paste because it was too hard to do LOL. But like I said earlier, I don't see anything wrong with surepress if they can somehow make it optional. If not and it's the only option for a device, it needs to die!
    03-09-11 01:44 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD