RIM's Surepress may not be dead yet, indeed they applied for a patent for a hybrid touch technology and seem like their goal is to enable surepress with all the capacitive touch goodness like pinch-to-zoom and multi-touch etc. Hit the break for more details.

RIM Patents Hybrid Capacitive AND Resistive Touchscreen Tech - BerryReview
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-07-11 at 07:27 PM.
    03-07-11 09:49 AM
    I saw that and was going to post about it as well, but it doesn't make any sense for them to patent this when Synaptics touchscreens already have this technology built into them. As a matter of fact, back when speculation threads were being posted about the Storm2, I posted one about the screen being able to detect pressure levels in order to register just a touch or a touch and execute command.

That's so weird, first it was my Storm3 design RIM liked and now it's the touchscreen idea as well.
    03-07-11 10:00 AM
    They need to let surepress die already.
    Machzy likes this.
    03-07-11 10:05 AM
    I agree with the post above.
    03-07-11 10:11 AM
    I saw that and was going to post about it as well, but it doesn't make any sense for them to patent this when Synaptics touchscreens already have this technology built into them. As a matter of fact, back when speculation threads were being posted about the Storm2, I posted one about the screen being able to detect pressure levels in order to register just a touch or a touch and execute command.

That's so weird, first it was my Storm3 design RIM liked and now it's the touchscreen idea as well.
    Perhaps they have been pushing for a patent for a while but only now was it approved, and they didn't wait for the patent to be approved before ordering the screens for their new devices?
    03-07-11 11:08 AM
    They need to let surepress die already.
    On mobile phones maybe, but it could be useful on another platform where accidental button presses are less tolerable.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-07-11 11:12 AM
    I love surepress but would like the option to turn it off. I came back from the DX and D2G because I couldnt stand the typing and the inability to touch the screen without opening a program... personal preference though. I think if RIMM makes this function optional, they will captivate the crowd that hates it while keeping the crowd that loves it
    03-07-11 11:29 AM
    I don't care what some of you say, SurePress was nice. There are times I wish all capacitive screens had the ability to detect pressure and only execute after a certain amount was used. This is what this new patent will do for RIM. It'll be a nice evolution which will keep SurePress from being the bouncy screen people are used to now. If done right, it'll be nothing more than a capacitive touchscreen that'll detect pressure without actually moving or tapping up on the back of itself, etc.
    NobleSix likes this.
    03-07-11 04:23 PM
    I like to see an updated surepress phone out and about sometime in the near future. the concept is great and if you give it some time to get use to, you'll love it. Detecting pressure is good, as a designer it's one of the main reason I love my wacom tablet and why I find capacity screens so 'delicate' to the touch. resistive screen are alright but it does limit itself - this could be the best of both worlds? Though does this mean the button-click feeling will be gone?

For this to catch on though, limiting this tech on just blackberry phones might not always be the best?
    Last edited by zensen; 03-07-11 at 05:58 PM.
    03-07-11 05:55 PM
    I have a few customers who were offered Free Torches to replace their Storms and refused because of the lack of surepress.

I really would love to see RIM offer BOTH on a phone,
    03-07-11 06:51 PM
    I heard RIMM finally let a rep/developer mill around on crackberry... Maybe we will get it if enough of us ask for it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 07:00 PM
    The majority of us need to let RIMM know that the adults want sure press. Most of us are not worried about how fast we can type to impress our friends. I switched to a Droid and one of the biggest problems was no sure press. When I show my friends who have Droids to a man wished they had sure press. Please flood RIMM with requests for this feature. I did and if you do not a noisy minority will get this great feature killed.
    03-07-11 07:19 PM
    I think I actually made less typing mistakes on the Storms because of the SurePress. I'm finding that if I act like I'm pressing harder on the iPhone screen it improves my typing speed and accuracy. Weird, I know.
    03-07-11 08:06 PM
    I liked it as well - just found it too "clicky" for quiet rooms.

Can't RIM adjust its software and just give you the option to enable or disable it depending on the user preference? I remember my Storm2 would NOT click when phone was off.
    03-07-11 08:12 PM
    Sadly I think they will do away with it.....not cool

03-07-11 09:34 PM
    Love surepress but wouldn't mind the option to turn it off.

03-07-11 10:05 PM
    SurePress with a 1.2ghz processor would be great. There were so many times that my "pressing" awas getting lagged a few letters behind what I was actually typing. The internaals were not fast enough to process all the preesing information and the software wasn't desinged for it. The only good thing about the Storm was the actual SurePress technology!!!

03-07-11 10:29 PM
    I personally don't like it, gave up my storm 2 because of it. I prefer the screen on the torch and can't ever see me buying a device with surepress again.
    But that's just my personal opinion
    03-07-11 10:31 PM
    I couldn't stand surepress on the S1. Besides that phone being buggy beyond belief, a lot of the reason I moved on had to due with the surepress.

Hoping the S3 don't have this. If so, sticking with my bold 9700 or a physical KB for awhile longer.

In before peeps say typing on SP is better on TS phones....

03-07-11 11:12 PM
    One thing is for sure, surepress practically eliminated accidental clicking on links in browser, which overall saves quite some time when you think about it.

03-08-11 04:48 AM
    The only time I ever used a Storm was trying to figure out what was wrong with my Girlfriend's brothers. It sucked. I'm used to the torch and didn't even know about the SurePress until I was trying to fix his phone. I absolutely hated it. I don't even see how someone could like that. It would take more time to text, or type anything.

@belfastdispatcher, I have never once accidentally clicked a link on my Torch. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't see how a SurePress screen would be better then the Torch's touch screen.
    03-08-11 06:14 AM
    Please let there be surepress...

Hate the way full touch screen works...

Must be very careful when you're browsing...

Also, an Opera Mini for SurePress would be nice =D
    03-08-11 06:58 AM
    Yeah, I don't get how you guys or gals are hitting so many links on a capcative screen. I do, but is in a blue moon. I would take that over surepress any day of the week.

03-08-11 10:14 AM
    I can't stand SurePress, but for those who like it, it would be nice for RIM to keep the option. Especially if they are able to turn it on or off.
    03-08-11 10:23 AM
    Full touch should use SurePress, with an option to turn it off. Touch with physical keyboard should be capacitive only. I'm rooting for the Torch but will be gutted if the T2 gets SurePress.
    03-08-11 10:31 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD