http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/rim...110500167.html

"WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 22, 2012) - Research In Motion (RIM) (RIMM)(RIM.TO) today announced that it has been selected by EnStream LP, a joint venture of Bell Mobility Inc., Rogers Wireless Partnership and TELUS Communications Company, to provide its Secure Element Manager (SEM) solution to manage credentials on wireless handsets in Canada that support Near Field Communication (NFC) services. NFC is the technology that can make secure, convenient and contactless mobile payments a reality for Canadian wireless handset users....'

Isn't this a big risk. They are going out of business soon
    NuNalij and 00stryder like this.
    10-22-12 08:05 AM
    Sounds great!

RIM's SEM solution will help deliver mobile payments and other NFC services to all carriers across all handset platforms that support NFC technology in Canada.
    10-22-12 08:14 AM
    RIM is tried tested and true. We all know it. Even the haters that spend hours a day on Cb know it.
    bungaboy and NuNalij like this.
    10-22-12 10:04 AM
    Step 1 of RIM's comeback.

When people start paying for things with their smartphone, they are going to realize how important security is to them and BB is going to look a whole lot more attractive than the competition.
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-22-12 12:59 PM
    Loving it, except the fact I don't have NFC on my Torch :P
    10-22-12 02:57 PM
    Yep. You'd need a bold. Of course all the top end Bb10 phones will have NFC.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-22-12 03:15 PM
    People who just bought the "new" iphone5 with an extra row of apps doesn't have NFC so don't feel to bad.
    bungaboy and GreenCopperz like this.
    10-22-12 03:30 PM
    Didn't see anything in the Glob & Fail today. Can't be an Apple related story.
    GreenCopperz and abwan11 like this.
    10-22-12 04:34 PM
    Does anyone know if this is the first service provided through rims network? which includes android and windows phone. If so (excuse me while i lick my lips) this is going to be good. How much is it worth? is it a per tranaction deal?
    10-22-12 06:25 PM
    I don't know why this isn't on the front page of this site? This is monumental news. RIM's being asked to provide the secure network infrastructure and engineering for a mobile payments system in Canada is a big deal. Some might remember that point-of-sale debit card transactions were first trialed in Canada before making its way to the States and elsewhere in North America. Canada's online banking system is much less fractured than the States with fewer players (ie: branch vs. charter bank system) and more focused choices for the actual payment transaction network (Cirrus, Interac, Visa, etc.). In a footnote to the story here (RIM strikes security technology deal with Enstream | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post), the reporter points out that Research in Motion is also engineering the use of the smartphone as a smartcard for secure access to buildings, etc., and which can be used in lieu of a separate building pass. Exciting stuff and very clearly demonstrating RIM's re-focusing on the enterprise in general, and security specifically....both traditional strengths of the company.
    10-23-12 06:29 AM
    This has got to be really good. The usual Negative Nancys have yet to post on this one.

Wait for it. . . . . . . .
    NuNalij likes this.
    10-23-12 06:55 AM
    Sounds great!
    So what is RIMs secure element management solution?
    10-23-12 07:39 AM
    I don't understand why they picked RIM? Why wouldn't they ask Apple or google? I think we all know the answer to that. Haters start your crying
    10-29-12 09:49 PM
    I don't understand why they picked RIM? Why wouldn't they ask Apple or google? I think we all know the answer to that. Haters start your crying
    if I am not mistaken iphone doesn't even support NFC.
    10-30-12 07:33 PM
    if I am not mistaken iphone doesn't even support NFC.
    Apple's trying very hard not to break their PASSBOOK (or was it passport?) System.
    10-31-12 07:18 AM