A RIM Spokesperson said:

RIM has hired advisers to help the Company examine ways to leverage the BlackBerry platform through partnerships, licensing opportunities and strategic business model alternatives. As Thorsten said on the Companys fourth-quarter earnings call, We believe the best way to drive value for our stakeholders is to execute on our plan to turn the company around. This remains true.

So what do you think? It is not a 100% definite answer, but seems like the main goal is to turn the company around, as theyve repeatedly stated before. Sound off in the comments!
    06-25-12 01:39 AM
    It's PR spin until the ink dry's.
    jegs2 and kennyliu like this.
    06-25-12 02:22 AM
    Strategic partnership between RIM and Sony
    As said, probably just waiting on some ink to dry
    06-25-12 02:32 AM
    They could split their Phones section and their network section... Apple and Samsung really want to buy that network section
    06-25-12 02:38 AM
    I'm not sure that splitting the company to sell the hardware section or network one is an efficient move.
    They hardly cut price on playbook to push sells and indirectly app development as it is the same base for bb10.
    RIM is losing money with hardware due to pricing strategy on playboy and current phones difficulties so it will be a short term strategy that will bring BB to more difficulties. They probably need to restructure this area but not selling it. They better have to wait next year after the release of bb10.
    I have also read that apple or samsung should be interested by buying the network infrastructure of BB. Weirdest move ever.
    Will RIM survive by just being a software or hardware firm? not really sure as the trend is the vice versa in the industry. Look at apple for the good performance and nokia/htc for bad result. Even Microsoft is going in the same direction as apple, even google by buying motorola.
    Pretty sure that this kind of rumor is just there to fullfill newspaper tech area.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-25-12 03:43 AM
    I think it is now pretty apparent that RIM has a strategic investor interested in specific parts of the company. The investor has asked RIM to look at ways to shed the segment of the company that is no longer competitive or isn't of strategic benefit to the investor. So, there is a deal in the works, but it comes with a caveat; they want the parts that they stand to benefit from and don't want the parts that have no value.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    06-25-12 04:46 AM
    its very difficult to focus on moving forward while you want to simultaneously doing 10 different things to a company ; i believe the hard ones has been decided (lay offs, change upper management); next one will be production optimisation (read : cut contractors loose, optimise product line up); flog the OS development to run faster; work out with carriers for Q3 launch; etc.
    So trying to split the company in the middle of this transformation (read: purge and chaos) will divert all attention and focus while what you are trying to achieve is actually not benefiting the company but just a response to the media who may or may not actually understand what they are talking about.
    06-25-12 05:29 AM
    Seems to me the article is about reducing the market cap of thd company even further to facilitate a takeover. Purchasing the part of the company that makes money while leaving the rest on the floor, destroys the value of the discarded part and leaves current shareholders to pick up the tab. Any current shateholder who votes for that is a sucker.

Also, as described above, while the company remains intact, there is still opportunity to turn the device unit around.
    06-25-12 06:24 AM
    It's what I said about the "split" article rumor. It ain't gonna happen for at least 2 quarters even if it does happen which, I do not believe.

Why would they even think of a split today. BB10, which could save the company, is just about to launch. They have to give that time to succeed or fail in the market.

Even if BB10 fails, the technology to make it, both hardware and software and patens will be worth more after launch.

Sure they kicked these ideas around and have planned for every eventuality. This is what boards do.

What we saw was just another silly scaremongering rumor.
    06-25-12 06:49 AM
    Even if they were to actually split the company into two (or more) entities -- which at this point is pure speculation -- who's saying RIM will sell off all of them, or any of them? I can see the handset business possibly being acquired (which is not saying it will be), but unloading the network and service side makes no sense, unless the company is going to completely fold, which I just don't see happening.

But the continual surfacing of these news flashes is getting laughable. These 'serious' news sources are starting to make People and Star magazine look reputable.
    06-25-12 06:51 AM
    It's PR spin until the ink dry's.
    Y'up. Control the stock slide as much as possible until you're ready to make an official announcement.
    06-25-12 06:54 AM
    What if a split does happen and Samsung emerges as the entity which buys or gets a license to use BB10... QNX Samsung Galaxy Note? I would like to see that tablet lol
    06-25-12 06:56 AM
    RIM shouldn't be selling their hardware business. The should be taking the $2 billion they have an investing in ways to connect their BB10 devices with other devices. And they should be looking into building non-phone devices for other uses, that are connected back to the phone.

The biggest mistake a company can do is reduce the number of things they produce in order to get back to profitability. The company I work for sold of things that they probably could have invested more into and been the leader in those technologies that are now being used more than when the company first created their product.
    06-25-12 07:15 AM
    RIM shouldn't be selling their hardware business. The should be taking the $2 billion they have an investing in ways to connect their BB10 devices with other devices. And they should be looking into building non-phone devices for other uses, that are connected back to the phone.

The biggest mistake a company can do is reduce the number of things they produce in order to get back to profitability. The company I work for sold of things that they probably could have invested more into and been the leader in those technologies that are now being used more than when the company first created their product.
    Is your company public? Because the problem is that Wall Street can't see beyond the next quarterly earnings call. The fruits of investing in technologies today won't be realized for years in some cases, while just selling assets and technologies props up the balance sheet now. Too many companies simply are not willing to bite the bullet now for something that that will give them an advantage later, because they have to keep investors happy, and investors don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of 'later'.
    kbz1960 and ALToronto like this.
    06-25-12 07:40 AM
    RIM is just doing the due diligence that a publicly owned company should do when faced with the obstacles that RIM is facing. I don't think it's PR spin. I think the statement they made is the truth. Plan A is to turn the company around on the back of BB10. If that fails, however, they have to have Plan B and maybe Plan C ready because if Plan A fails they will be able to make better execute Plan B because they have already thought it through.
    06-25-12 08:22 AM
    Y'up. Control the stock slide as much as possible until you're ready to make an official announcement.
    Exactly. Even if its to refute this moronic idea to carve the company up during its transition. And even then...dont even bother to deny it. Let the stock (and rumors) run wild until you have your new device(s) on the market.

And there aint been a vote to split the company....
    Last edited by undone; 06-25-12 at 10:17 AM.
    06-25-12 08:33 AM
    Is your company public? Because the problem is that Wall Street can't see beyond the next quarterly earnings call. The fruits of investing in technologies today won't be realized for years in some cases, while just selling assets and technologies props up the balance sheet now. Too many companies simply are not willing to bite the bullet now for something that that will give them an advantage later, because they have to keep investors happy, and investors don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of 'later'.
    It was. And, yes, we sold assets in order to meet numbers before. But, that is also part of bad management. Management should never have put out high numbers for a year hampered by Y2K.

For RIM, I don't see why they just don't buy back $2 billion in shares and then they can worry less about the stock market. However, the stock market is also about perception and marketing controls perception. And we all know how bad RIM's marketing has been.
    06-25-12 08:51 AM
    At this point ANY rumor/leak is very dangerous. Even if it's a lie the media is going to run with their message until it becomes a general consensus truth.

It's exactly like politics, you have to control the message when the media pulpit is hungry for a story. In this case the supposed final fatal blow for RIM.
    Rickroller likes this.
    06-25-12 09:41 AM
    +1 to the person who said Rim should partner up with sony. That is a partnership I have been thinking about for a while. Sony has really fallen behind when it comes to phones. Windows phone 8 looks like an awesome phone if you are a gamer and have an x-box while sony doesn't offer anything like that, at least not that I know of. According to that N4BB slide leak it said the new phones will use OLED screens which I believe is a sony technology so they are already working with sony at some levels.

I would love to see a sony and rim partnership
    06-25-12 10:11 AM
    Why would they even think of a split today. BB10, which could save the company, is just about to launch. They have to give that time to succeed or fail in the market.
    You honestly think that as soon as BB10 is released that people are going to be instantly flocking to it? It's going to take at least 6 months to a year before general mainstream adopts it (if they even do). By then.. RIM could be in some severe financial trouble and interest in their products from outside investors could be nil.

It makes more sense to me that if you are in the market for outside investors.. That you get them on board before the general public has had a chance to vote with their wallets about your product. This way you are not trying to sell a lemon when everyone is looking for lemonade. It's the same as in pro hockey.. Deal your players away who are up for free agency while they still have some value and you can get the most bang for your buck in return.
    06-25-12 11:08 AM
    That's right. The reaction to the "rumored" split caught RIM's shareholders off gaurd and they know loyal BB customers aren't as stupid as they hoped they would be and float RIM a few more quarters until they could screw over their BB customers.
    06-25-12 12:28 PM
    May have missed it, but saw no link to the 'split-up' article in question.

So, here it is.
    06-25-12 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD