The article isn't a comparison between devices... just a statement about overall data usage.

If my Storm had a decent Browser that was usable, and free apps that allowed tethering... I bet I'd be using 20X the data I'm using now.
    07-23-10 09:18 AM
    The article isn't a comparison between devices... just a statement about overall data usage.

If my Storm had a decent Browser that was usable, and free apps that allowed tethering... I bet I'd be using 20X the data I'm using now.
    Don't think the data compression has something to do with RIMs low data usage?
    07-23-10 10:00 AM
    Don't forget that when Joe and Jane the consumer walk into a VZW store these days looking to buy a BlackBerry, they walk out with Androids. VZW pretty much deserted RIM, lol.
    my wife and i just switched to VZW she went droid i stayed BB as an experiment BB needs to catchup and should be embarrassed. a year from now android is going to "rule the air" and google has the muscle to put it in the buisness world. something iphone cant do. my storm is awesome but not a android thats for sure
    07-23-10 10:22 AM
    I'm sure it does... but the point was you can't say DROID's are using 5X the data than BB's, at least not until OS6 has been release and we see some actual testing. We don't really KNOW how OS6 browser works - in the Video it seems to be blazing fast. Really wonder if RIM is using their data compression...

And right now with the features (browser & free tethering)that DROID phones have, I can see them using more data just because they work. How many BB users really "surf" the web? How many BB users have purchased a $50 tethering program?
    07-23-10 11:03 AM
    Compression can only do so much. Sure it's great for text emails, but it won't do much for stuff that's already compressed. For example, pictures and photos on webpages are almost always .jpg, which is already compressed. If you download music as .mp3, again, it's already been compressed. Streaming video, again, already compressed.

Try this, take a Word file, compress it using something like WinZIP or WinRAR, and then try to compress it again. You won't get much if any additional reduction in data volume, it might even increase data volume if it needs to add additional compression information.

If BB users use the browser like iPhone and Android users, they will use a lot more data. The increase in data usage from iPhone and Android users isn't because the data isn't compressed, it's because they use the browser and download rich webpages, with pictures and everything, not just WAP pages. For example, when I look at this forum on my iPhone, I go to forums.crackberry.com, not wap.crackberry.com. Another item to consider is this, data decompression requires CPU power. The more compressed data you receive, the harder your CPU has to work. That will manifest itself in two ways, shorter battery life, and/or lag.

If RIM is planning on sending all future browser traffic through its servers like it does with it's current browser, I really hope they already have the infrastructure in place to handle that much data traffic. If they don't, you're going to see either really slow browser performance as it waits for data, or no response.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-23-10 at 11:34 AM.
    07-23-10 11:28 AM
    The past couple of year have taught me never to buy the FIRST BlackBerry device that is released. After a few months the exact same model with improved specs and technology is ALWAYS released.
    That second device is then truely worth it in my oppinion.

That is why I wont get a 9800 or Storm 3 or any other BB right away after release. I have done that mistake once
    Last edited by iBerry Lifestyle; 07-24-10 at 02:25 PM.
    07-23-10 06:40 PM
    If you're going to make a claim or a statement, at least make it true, fair and sensible, not something that a 3rd grader would say.

First of all, the Storm's screen is NOT that "small" it was in fact, the reason I bought a Storm (1 on release day then 2) to begin with. Yes, yes, before you get your panties in a wad, I know the newer devices have larger screens and I like them, but to say the Storm has "a small screen" is sheer stupidity. The OS could be better, but "bad OS?" :: sigh :: I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall...grow up. Poor support? What the H3LL are you talking about? I've had nothing but superlative support for both of my Storms. How many Storms have you owned? Both VZW and RIM have some of the best support I've ever experienced. And if it were anything less, I'd be more than happy to say so, I'm not here as a fanboi, I'm realistic in both my expectations and my views. Talk about fanbois...yeah, gosh, the Android forums have none of that <<<< koff >>>>

Finally, your statement about "business people jumping to Androids or even MS based smart phones" is pure nonsense...read your facts, bone up before you make a ***** of yourself. Yes, there is a trend from the general CONSUMER side and a very few business that are presently looking at switching, which may well happen, but to imply that "businesses are jumping" is, once again, son, nonsense.

Go get your Droid (by the way, that should be capitalized, since you're so focused on proper grammar. Also, there should be this funny thing called a "paragraph break" in between paragraphs....look it up, try to learn something. Enjoy your Droid...they're fine devices, I like certain elements, love the X display, but I'm not a particular fan of the OS/UI for ME...it's just not my cup of tea, but I don't go around making ridiculous statements.

Ok, isn't it past your bedtime?

And RIM is turning the corner? Their phones all look so unique, just look at the Tour, the Curves, the Bolds, none of them look alike; really they don’t. And the Storm, small screen, bad OS, poor support. What a great phone. That could be why even business people are jumping to Androids or even MS based smart phones.
    In addition, I have to ask (but this is really a rhetorical question), do you have RIM or Blackberry tattooed onto your back? I can sure tell you don’t have a grammar guide anywhere near you when you type. I have seen run-on paragraphs before, but nothing like this. And please, don’t blame it on using a BB. If you can’t type a decent paragraph or two on a BB, that would be saying a BB is not a good device to type on. And honestly as much as I hate my BB lately, I have to say the keyboard has always been its strongest point.
    Have a happy day, I’m jumping over to a droid forum, since the BB forums are turning into a religious experience for some people.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 07-23-10 at 07:03 PM.
    07-23-10 06:57 PM
    Oh snap!
    07-24-10 02:30 PM
    =.......................
    07-24-10 03:52 PM
    Finally, your statement about "business people jumping to Androids or even MS based smart phones" is pure nonsense...read your facts, bone up before you make a ***** of yourself. Yes, there is a trend from the general CONSUMER side and a very few business that are presently looking at switching, which may well happen, but to imply that "businesses are jumping" is, once again, son, nonsense.
    Afraid that it isn't nonsense... that trend is hitting business also. Ours is in the process of allowing both Android and Apple device to be added to the options that we currently have. Our IT folks do not convinced that RIM's platform is going to support the types of applications that they believe we will be able to start using very soon.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 07-29-10 at 05:04 PM.
    07-24-10 03:52 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD