RIM's Got Problems but Not as Bad as Nokia's - TheStreet

About the most balanced analysis I've seen in quite some time.

Of particular note, the six steps RIM has announced for the coming year:
    1. Deliver on several new very competitive handsets in late August, many of which include the best keyboard ever made on a handset;
    2. Deliver on attractive native applications for the PlayBook tablet by August;
    3. Deliver on the Android app compatibility for the PlayBook during the second half of 2011;
    4. Deliver on WiMax, LTE and HSPA versions of the PlayBook in various stages between August and November;
    5. Deliver on 10-inch versions of the PlayBook in the December-February time frame;
    6. Deliver on a whole new generation of smartphones some time in the first half of calendar year 2012, based on the QNX operating system running on multi-core processors. Just like the PlayBook starting in the second half of 2011, all of these smartphones will be able to run Android apps.

Good positive info instead of the usual RIM-bashing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    rollingrock1988 and Guatiao like this.
    06-15-11 07:37 AM
    Great Find, Great Read. This is good stuff that RIM should be working on. This guy has a real handle on the situation.

Great Stuff 18to12.

06-15-11 10:51 AM
    This seems like a pretty good list, but it's going to be very difficult to accomplish. A year from now, he wants blackberries to be running QNX and run android apps. That seems like a pretty tall order, and RIM is gonna have to kick it into high gear.
    06-15-11 12:11 PM
    This seems like a pretty good list, but it's going to be very difficult to accomplish. A year from now, he wants blackberries to be running QNX and run android apps. That seems like a pretty tall order, and RIM is gonna have to kick it into high gear.
    The first QNX phones should be able to run Android right out of the box if they get it working on the Playbook this summer. Playbook is giving them a great platform to get things ready for phone. However, I just see RIM having a huge hole in product offerings again between OS7 and QNX, even if they can get QNX phones out next summer. I see January through May/June of 2012 being pretty stagnant for them since they are basically dumping all of the high end OS7 phones on the market within a couple months of each other at the end of Summer 2011. I mean OS6 to OS7 has been a drought and I think tomorrows earnings report will show that.
    06-15-11 12:38 PM
    Not if you judge by stock performance.

06-20-11 12:59 PM
    This to-do list seems quite doable IMHO so RIM better git er done...

06-20-11 01:09 PM
    Not if you judge by stock performance.

Hmmmm ... What does your stock portfolio look like these days???

06-20-11 01:25 PM
    that is a humongous list for BB..

1. they have never delivered a handset on time... a 3 month delivery becomes 5 months, a 6 months 9-11 months
    2. handsets that do appear are (at best) "not quite that competitive" when they do launch, producing "**-hum" reviews

In essence, a dozen or more handsets, each with several flavors of os and frequent updates?.. yup now THAT is a recipe for success..NOT

Until BB has ONE os for all handsets they will never ever regain the lost ground..
    06-20-11 01:46 PM
    Hmmmm ... What does your stock portfolio look like these days???

It's looking pretty good boy.

Short tna from 84.55
    Long ETV which is going ex-dividend, long MO, mutual funds in utilities, long AAPL as of this afternoon, and small positions in tgt and f.

Looking to buy kss, uyg, exc if we hit the right price.
    Care to know anything else boy?

I can come back and tell you what else I will be buying this week if we drop.
    06-20-11 11:15 PM
    I really like what I'm reading!

I look forward to rim succeeding, as they always have, regardless if it's going with the flow or using the "slow and steady wins the race" way, they'll still be kicking aS$

Way to go, can't wait to see those new devices, robelus won't have me by that time at all, as I'll be with wind mobile and have a new blackberry.

06-21-11 05:06 AM
    that's reassuring.
    06-21-11 07:47 AM
    The new BB9900 is going to kiss ***! can't wait to buy!!

06-21-11 07:53 AM
    It's looking pretty good boy.

Short tna from 84.55
    Long ETV which is going ex-dividend, long MO, mutual funds in utilities, long AAPL as of this afternoon, and small positions in tgt and f.

Looking to buy kss, uyg, exc if we hit the right price.
    Care to know anything else boy?

I can come back and tell you what else I will be buying this week if we drop.
    Well what a financial genius you must be.

But first off, I'm probably old enough to be your father, so can the 'boy' crap.

Secondly, RIM's and anybody else's stock prices have absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread. So save it for the funny pages.

06-21-11 08:38 AM
    Take a look at Nokia's N9 before dancing on their grave. With Windows in their corner, they could storm the trenches. That N9 is pure awesome hardware.

06-21-11 09:28 AM
    Rim is not dead, they are still strong within enterprise, they just need to stop wasting time already with j2me. Rim already stated their full support for qnx, so what stupid developer would create something for a dying platform like J2me. Just drop it already!!!
    06-21-11 09:58 AM
    Take a look at Nokia's N9 before dancing on their grave. With Windows in their corner, they could storm the trenches. That N9 is pure awesome hardware.

Nobody's dancing on anyone's grave - just comparing RIM's challenges with Nokia's.

As for the N9, I guess it looks pretty slick for another touch-only phone (but only a 1-ghz processor single-core - how dated, to paraphrase the RIM doom-and-gloomers). But I'd be a bit concerned - it's a first foray into devices running MeeGo, with Windows Phone devices reportedly less than a year away, and they're still committing to new Symbian phones as well. And they say RIM has no focus, will be too fragmented,etc, etc, etc...

06-21-11 10:09 AM
    Rim is not dead, they are still strong within enterprise, they just need to stop wasting time already with j2me. Rim already stated their full support for qnx, so what stupid developer would create something for a dying platform like J2me. Just drop it already!!!
    Maybe they're not planning on retiring BBOS when QNX finally drops in handhelds. Maybe, as Nokia is doing now, RiM will continue to support the two platforms: OS7 for middle-weight workhorses, and QNX for the top-of-the-line 'superphones'.

06-21-11 10:14 AM
    Well what a financial genius you must be.

But first off, I'm probably old enough to be your father, so can the 'boy' crap.

Secondly, RIM's and anybody else's stock prices have absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread. So save it for the funny pages.

Sure thing, you don't have the intelligence to answer your own question. You asked about my portfolio and I told you. I guess you are empty on replies. Rimm stock has been down even from the original date of this post.

06-25-11 04:10 AM
    Sure thing, you don't have the intelligence to answer your own question. You asked about my portfolio and I told you. I guess you are empty on replies. Rimm stock has been down even from the original date of this post.

AGAIN ... you're the one that raised the issue of stock performance, which has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread. I could give two craps about your stock portfolio -- the question was totally rhetorical.
    06-25-11 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD