01-18-13 10:04 PM
74 123
tools
    18 month old hardware. 250,000 shipped? How many sold? They stopped making these months ago and have written off the hardware.
    Worst mistake RIM ever made. Distracted them and cost them time and money.
    love my playbook. cannot live without it. I had purchased to android tablets and returned them both. playbook is like good wine. the older it gets the better becomes. (this is not to say that I would not want to see quad core playbook).

marketing and playbook launch was bad. not actual tablet. I hope to see new playbook soin.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    greggore and lorax1284 like this.
    12-24-12 10:26 PM
    The playbook is great. But I tried to buy one for a gift before Christmas...no retailer in Toronto had one in stock. Couldn't order it on-line. When you see them on display, they are usually not working and neglected.
    My wife was told by someone in Best Buy some nonsense that it was not going to be supported anymore...blah blah blah, buy an android... BB needs to push back more, and get some inventory in stores.
    Waiting for my BB10.
    12-25-12 11:21 AM
    The playbook is a great tablet and the only reason it did not take off was the lack of BB10 devices to go with it! I just hope Rim updates the existing playbook to the BB10 system.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-25-12 01:21 PM
    The playbook is a great tablet and the only reason it did not take off was the lack of BB10 devices to go with it! I just hope Rim updates the existing playbook to the BB10 system.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Don't worry
    greggore and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-25-12 05:22 PM
    I primarily enjoy my PB because of the Flash in the browser and it allows simple file access.
    12-25-12 07:07 PM
    specs may say 1080p, but he camera and video quality of the PlayBooks camera doesn't even compare to most others (even if they only list lower quality). The lighting has to be just right.
    12-25-12 07:29 PM
    lots of retailers in Toronto have stock and get them regularily
    12-25-12 07:48 PM
    I purchased three for my family for Christmas and I have had once since early 2011. The Playbook is superior to any other Tablet out there and I own an iPad. iPad's are great for entertainment, but that's it. Totally useless for business and not very secure, plus a pain in the **** for Document Management of any kind. The Playbooks is designed for business, but can play with the big boys for entertainment and all at a great price!
    12-27-12 11:02 AM
    It is always tough to produce a product that people don't need and make it a success. Tablets aren't toaster ovens, they are niche devices and buying them without a specific need can often lead to disappointment. I have what I wanted in a tab fulfilled by the PB and that was before OS2. I agree with sleepingbear's post above 100%.
    You are correct. Research In Motion failed to market the tablet to specific industries or market segments from the outset. Then just as they begin to market the tablet as "the world's first professional-grade tablet" the company shifts focus to the consumer market with games, games, games. Can a corporation have multiple personality disorder?
    bk1022 likes this.
    12-27-12 11:28 AM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook did not take off due to bungled marketing. The company had a built-in market of approximately 70 million BlackBerry smartphone subscribers. If only 1% had bought a BlackBerry PlayBook there would have been 700,000 sales out of the gate before any retail marketing.
    bk1022 likes this.
    12-27-12 11:32 AM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook did not take off due to bungled marketing. The company had a built-in market of approximately 70 million BlackBerry smartphone subscribers. If only 1% had bought a BlackBerry PlayBook there would have been 700,000 sales out of the gate before any retail marketing.
    But they didn't. People (even BB owners) quickly figured out that the PlayBook could not do a number of things that people expected of a tablet. While some of the shortcomings like native email have been fixed (took a year??), the main purpose for a tablet as a consumption device, is still not easy on the PlayBook. No Ecosystem, and limited access to the Ecosystems that are out there.

Now PlayBook owners are all hopeful that the PlayBook will still get BB10, and that the hardware is capable of running it.
    bk1022 likes this.
    12-27-12 12:01 PM
    But they didn't. People (even BB owners) quickly figured out that the PlayBook could not do a number of things that people expected of a tablet. While some of the shortcomings like native email have been fixed (took a year??), the main purpose for a tablet as a consumption device, is still not easy on the PlayBook. No Ecosystem, and limited access to the Ecosystems that are out there.

Now PlayBook owners are all hopeful that the PlayBook will still get BB10, and that the hardware is capable of running it.
    The PB didn't have native email and RIM sure as heck made sure it didn't have 3rd party support either. The PB failed because geniuses at RIM decided it was going to be the world's most awesome web browser in 7" format, except it wasn't even that. Let's count the major problems with the PB again:

(1a) Technical geniuses could not get email app out in time.
    (1b) Security geniuses felt third party email app was devil spawn to be prohibited at any cost.
    (1c) Marketing geniuses thought they should string people along for a year that email app was around the corner.
    (1d) Execute geniuses allow a year delay of material fixes and upgrades -- including email -- possibly for security considerations even though their decision was clearly destroying the PB brand.

(2a) Marketing geniuses thought that all people wanted to do was run flash on a form-factor that is too small, energy restricted and slow to make proper use of it.
    (2b) QA geniuses didn't care that the browser requires restart after moderate usage.
    (2c) Technical geniuses apparently love checkerboards.

(3a) Executive geniuses gave okay to stratospheric launch price of incomplete product.
    (3b) Executive geniuses gave okay to fire-sale pricing after (3a) failed.
    (3c) Executive geniuses forget about adjusting repair costs from old stratospheric pricing model.

There were/are some glaring quality issues with the tablet that could have been remediated early on but for some reason were not. The glaring issues were self-inflicted. Why not ship with a rapid charger? The worst offense is that RIM didn't secure big name apps for launch! Sometimes I wonder if the marketing department was run by third-year Waterloo engineering students.

While it is true that the PB is a decent device and people *should* be happy with it, sales numbers sold don't indicate the product has escaped the friendly confines of niche users. And those niche users would probably like the PB no matter what.
    12-27-12 01:28 PM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook was supposed to complement the BlackBerry smartphone as a productivity device. The whole "media consumption" rant frequently ballyhooed on this forum is strictly a consumer-market segment expectation. In professional organizations the weak office suite (Docs-to-Go), anaemic PDF reader (Adobe Reader), and not-available-at-release-date BlackBerry Bridge coupled with BlackBerry Tablet OS 1 rather than BlackBerry Tablet OS 2 each contributed to the lack-lustre adoption rate by existing BlackBerry smartphone users. As good as BlackBerry Bridge is for integrating key applications available on the smartphone, there was very weak support for every key BlackBerry-branded application aside from email, calendar, and contacts (BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Password Keeper, BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry MemoPad, BlackBerry Tasks). The general population should not have been on the radar of Research In Motion until the tablet established itself in the hands of existing BlackBerry users and professional-users which are not mutually exclusive groups.
    southlander likes this.
    12-27-12 07:37 PM
    Eh, whatever - rocking mine still, and my wife LOVES the one I got her for Christmas. For just over $100 new.
    01-15-13 02:00 AM
    You got a great deal there buddy !
    Eh, whatever - rocking mine still, and my wife LOVES the one I got her for Christmas. For just over $100 new.
    01-15-13 09:40 PM
    18 month old hardware. 250,000 shipped? How many sold? They stopped making these months ago and have written off the hardware.
    Worst mistake RIM ever made. Distracted them and cost them time and money.
    The PlayBook may end up being the device that saved RIM. It was a 2 year beta test for BB10. I also know a lot of people that are excited for BB10 because of what the PB can do. Finally, app development for BB10 started with the PB and is a major reason for the app world numbers we are hearing for the BB10 launch.

The PlayBook was so important and will possibly go down as the most underrated piece of hardware in years if RIM ends up pulling out a victory with BB10.

There is no way Bb10 would be what it is today without the PlayBook beta test.
    01-15-13 11:25 PM
    Stopped making them months ago? I purchased another one a few weeks ago it was manufactured Nov 2012. So learn the facts before posting the usual BS you have no idea what you're talking about.
    The poster you quoted is grim as they come. Respond if you feel it's necessary but don't quote them... Best to just add them to your ignore list and, gosh darn it, accept the "sacrifice" of not seeing their posts, although its very unlikely you'll miss anything that would have otherwise enriched your life.
    01-16-13 08:05 PM
    The PB didn't have native email and RIM sure as heck made sure it didn't have 3rd party support either. The PB failed because geniuses at RIM decided it was going to be the world's most awesome web browser in 7" format, except it wasn't even that. Let's count the major problems with the PB again:

(1b) Security geniuses felt third party email app was devil spawn to be prohibited at any cost.
    (1c) Marketing geniuses thought they should string people along for a year that email app was around the corner.
    (1d) Execute geniuses allow a year delay of material fixes and upgrades -- including email -- possibly for security considerations even though their decision was clearly destroying the PB brand.

(2a) Marketing geniuses thought that all people wanted to do was run flash on a form-factor that is too small, energy restricted and slow to make proper use of it.
    (2b) QA geniuses didn't care that the browser requires restart after moderate usage.

(3a) Executive geniuses gave okay to stratospheric launch price of incomplete product.
    (3c) Executive geniuses forget about adjusting repair costs from old stratospheric pricing model.

There were/are some glaring quality issues with the tablet that could have been remediated early on but for some reason were not. The glaring issues were self-inflicted. Why not ship with a rapid charger? The worst offense is that RIM didn't secure big name apps for launch! Sometimes I wonder if the marketing department was run by third-year Waterloo engineering students.

While it is true that the PB is a decent device and people *should* be happy with it, sales numbers sold don't indicate the product has escaped the friendly confines of niche users. And those niche users would probably like the PB no matter what.
    that is why there is is new ceo at rim and may i say that he is doing **** of a job now. i cannot see same mistakes made again under his leadership.
    01-17-13 07:22 AM
    Hardware wise, the PB is nice. Even for the most part the software was good, however the apps (or lack of) absolutely killed this tablet. I bought mine when it was at around the $200 price range, and it was a struggle to find a use for it. Web browsing was alright, if I overlooked the checkerboarding and crashes. Browsing YouTube was almost impossible, as it seemed to struggle to play anything in HD, but the lack of apps made it almost unuseable.It basically ended up becoming a music and movie player for my 4 yr old..until it died after having liquid spilled on it. Even with the price range down to $130, I could not justify buying another one, so instead bought the Galaxy Note 10.1, which absolutely destroys it in every way. Being able to fill out PDF forms right on the tablet, sign documents, keep journals, as well as the amazing mult-tasking make this the first tablet that I can actually use. Hopefully when BB10 comes out, if the PB ever gets the upgrade, that perhaps the App World will improve for it. Otherwise, the only thing the PB competes with is ereaders.
    01-17-13 08:04 AM
    Side loading you can have everything you need. But you knew that right..lol
    01-17-13 11:35 AM
    Side loading you can have everything you need. But you knew that right..lol
    sideloading is not a solution by any means
    01-17-13 05:36 PM

The reason for a lot of what you wrote, especially email, was that the PlayBook was the first RIM device to use QNX. RIM incorrectly believed they could intregrate QNX into the then current BBOS infrastructure and then they realized that that would not work. They could have given us email within 60 days like they said, but then RIM would have had to use a BBOS player instead of a more native QNX solution, which would have probably caused performance issues and they would have had to eventually do anyway with it since BBOS is a dead end. So, RIM bit the bullet and did the necessary job of building the QNX infrastucture to make it work correctly, that is where the PB OS 2.0 came from. In my mind, RIM's biggest problem was not just coming forward and telling us this. Instead they let the deadline pass and said pretty much nothing, but "coming soon", which angered a lot of people, myself included.

Bascially the PB should have been shelved for a year and lauched with at least what became OS 2.0, but despite that, the PB is still a good tablet and will run BB10 fine, especially since it's basically running the core of the OS anyway, I believe. The only question is if the PlayBook brand is too tarnished like the Storm branding was. Personally, I don't think it's that bad and once BB10 gets on it, they will be a really cheap way to access the BB10 platform.
    01-17-13 06:09 PM
    they can squawk all they want, PB wasn't a mistake to me.
    01-17-13 07:06 PM
    I love my playbook capabilities, integration with my 9900,build quality, practicality, ease of use, what more u need ?? I'm very satisfied with my purchase!!! will buy another one shortly.
    01-18-13 10:04 PM
74 123