Don't care what any one says love mine its with me 24 / 7!
    Ditto. Mine is a year old now (Christmas 2011) and my wife paid a lot more than what they are selling for today. I have the BT keyboard and use it like a computer some days. I hope BB10 comes to the slate. If so, RIM will have hit it out of the park.

We have 2 in the house. Was lucky enough to know a friend who was selling his 64 GB for $100.00 as he has an iPad and wasn't using the Playbook. It is just like new.
    12-23-12 08:38 PM
    I love my PlayBook. Bought a 16 gb model on launch day and use it everyday. Worth the price then, and an outstanding value now. I have bought 3 others since (gifts and upgraded myself to a 64 gb model), and recommended it to my sister who bought one for my nephew.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-23-12 08:44 PM
    You do know that the Playbook LTE has been out since the summer now right?
    yeah but only in canada
    12-23-12 10:10 PM
    I wouldn't know if its any good. Any retail outlet I go into its either not working ( due to not being plugged in) or if it is the staff have no idea how to work it. Currys, PC World all very poor at promoting what they sell.
    12-24-12 12:43 AM
    I think that RIM should look at putting out a 4G 5.5" phablet that is light and fits in your pocket or on your belt. Then increase the PlayBook to 4G 10".

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-24-12 02:18 AM
    The Optus shop I go to had the 9860 with a 16GB PlayBook thrown in. I should've snapped it up as I got a 9860 in the end. Now all that BB product that shop stocks is the 9900. New Years Day marks the start of the BB10 countdown.

12-24-12 02:28 AM
    Who's "The New Age Online"? Ah, it is a story from AFP.
    The company's latest figures show that the much criticized tablet is not only selling well but that most owners are more than satisfied with its performance.

When RIM published its quarterly earnings report this week, there was one surprising number: 255,000, the total of PlayBook tablets it had shipped over the past three months. While not on par with Google, whose Nexus 7 is rumored to be selling 1 million a month, or Apple which is expected to sell 12 million iPads between November and the end of 2012, the total is still very impressive, especially when one factors in the negative reviews the tablet received when launched a year ago and the criticism it still continues to attract from those in the tech community.
    I am not that surprised, the price is very good and I love my Playbook.
    When asked about the numbers in the investors' conference call on Thursday evening, RIM's CFO, Brian Bidulka, claimed that some of the tablet's performance had been due to strong promotional activity, such as large discounts and special offers, but it is also because RIM has carried on improving the device since its initial launch in April 2011 and as such is one of the few tablets currently available that supports 4G mobile internet connectivity.

Added to that is the fact that it is a seven-inch tablet, a form which thanks to Google, Amazon and, more recently Apple is now among the most popular with potential tablet buyers. And of course, unlike anything on the market that runs Android or iOS, the PlayBook can read and edit Microsoft Office documents a feature that won't be coming to the iPad until 2013 -- and it can run apps simultaneously for �real' multitasking.
    Lies.

The Playbook does not have Microsoft Office any more than iOS and Android devices. Only Windows devices do. All platforms have apps which can read and write Microsoft Office files, and RIM bundles such an app with the Blackberry Playbook. This may make the price even more attractive but it is not a strong differentiator.
    Meanwhile, in PC World's annual reader satisfaction survey, also published this week, which polled 45,000 site users about the reliability and performance of their desktop PC, laptops, smartphones, tablets and peripherals, the RIM BlackBerry PlayBook came fourth, just one place behind Apple in third.

Overall, owners were very happy with the product and in category-specific tables it actually came top for the quality of its display, beating not only Apple, but Samsung and Asus (maker of the Nexus 7) too while it was ranked fourth for speed and design and joint second for battery life.
    Seriously? Honestly, the Playbook has a good display but it is not on par with the iPad's.
    12-24-12 06:39 AM
    I think that RIM should look at putting out a 4G 5.5" phablet that is light and fits in your pocket or on your belt. Then increase the PlayBook to 4G 10".

B I N G O

Heard it here second folks!
    lorax1284 likes this.
    12-24-12 06:46 AM
    yeah but only in canada
    I'm pretty sure 1.5 ghz PlayBooks are out in other countries now, though they may have different OTA connections.

Regardless, it really speaks to how little RIM put into marketing this new device if people still keep claiming PlayBook is "18 months old" or "two years old" and 'hasn't been updated".
    12-24-12 06:53 AM
    Oops - how could I have forgotten the LTE PlayBook. They don't even break out sales for that.
    Sold only in Canada and not available through retail outlets. Now that's a marketing strategy.

It is great that people who have them love them. I don't love mine (I bought it on the first day, at Best Buy - a 64GB model at full price). Terrible impulse purchase. And I buy a lot of hardware. The power button is flush to the top making it difficult to turn on and off. The design with a power plug on the bottom makes it difficult/impossible to stand up using the RIM OEM case. Power button can't be used with the case on.

Oh yeah, it's a winner. And yes, 18 month old hardware. I don't care when it was assembled. And wrote off vs. wrote down is semantic. They priced them too high (because they thought they could compete with an iPad) and had to write them down. Taking a loss.
    randall2580 likes this.
    12-24-12 07:41 AM
    And of course, unlike anything on the market that runs Android or iOS, the PlayBook can read and edit Microsoft Office documents a feature that won't be coming to the iPad until 2013
    Hey, why's the RIM guy spreading FUD? Is there any Android or iOS device that can't read and edit Office documents with the right app installed? Heck, most Android tablets come with free Office Apps installed which trump the default on the Playbook. Polaris Office is top notch and comes for free on many Android tablets.

Meanwhile, in PC World's annual reader satisfaction survey, also published this week, which polled 45,000 site users about the reliability and performance of their desktop PC, laptops, smartphones, tablets and peripherals, the RIM BlackBerry PlayBook came fourth, just one place behind Apple in third.

Overall, owners were very happy with the product and in category-specific tables it actually came top for the quality of its display, beating not only Apple, but Samsung and Asus (maker of the Nexus 7) too while it was ranked fourth for speed and design and joint second for battery life.
    Not sure how the display quality beats out much higher resolution devices from Asus, Samsung and Apple.

Reader survey...I guess that means most PlayBook owners are pretty ecstatic about their devices, then...joint second for Battery life is also kinda strange.

Despite all its flaws, I liked my Playbook...only got rid of it because I needed a 3G tablet.
    12-24-12 07:49 AM
    Oops - how could I have forgotten the LTE PlayBook. They don't even break out sales for that.
    The point is still the same. There's newer, faster PlayBook hardware with OTA connectivity vs. what you bought.

Sold only in Canada and not available through retail outlets.
    1.5 GHZ PlayBooks with OTA are now available in other regions too. I agree on the marketing strategy. Just don't agree with people claiming the hardware is "18 months old" when, in fact, it's been updated.

I agree with your other points. As I said to someone else recently, I too would be pissed if I bought a $500 PlayBook running OS 1.0. But I bought a $200 64GB version running 2.0 and quite like it.
    12-24-12 07:50 AM
    Hey, why's the RIM guy spreading FUD?
    You talking about me? I'm just reprinting an article I found. I do that sometimes ... good and bad.

Heck, most Android tablets come with free Office Apps installed
    iOS has default viewers too. Pretty much table stakes.

Not sure how the display quality beats out much higher resolution devices from Asus, Samsung and Apple.
    They probably just like the bright screen, but I agree. There are better screens out there.

Though I have a theory that many people have trouble actually distinguishing the benefit "Retina Displays". Apple fanboys will jump up and down and tell you how it will "make sweet love to your eyes". I was in an Apple store the other day buying something and I saw a couple. One guy was an Apple fanboy, his girlfriend was clearly not. He was going on about the gorgeous retina display. She said, "I guess it's a bit clearer than the other one". Man, was he pissed. LOL.

I think they're nice enough, but my vision wouldn't get the benefit out of one to justify the extra price, particularly on Macs.
    12-24-12 07:55 AM
    Interesting article. I think a successful BB10 launch would also do a lot to pique interest in the PB among potential buyers who previously wouldn't have given it a look. It's a very solid device, and still the only tab I have any interest in owning.
    12-24-12 08:08 AM
    It is always tough to produce a product that people don't need and make it a success. Tablets aren't toaster ovens, they are niche devices and buying them without a specific need can often lead to disappointment. I have what I wanted in a tab fulfilled by the PB and that was before OS2. I agree with sleepingbear's post above 100%.
    12-24-12 08:18 AM
    You talking about me? I'm just reprinting an article I found. I do that sometimes ... good and bad.
    Nah, i'm not talking about you. It's the RIM guy who's quoted in the article that's lying through his teeth
    12-24-12 11:53 AM
    PlayBook hasn't been on sale, its been clearenced. Many places including RIM.com have sold out of it. And don't expect them to make more... they didn't make money selling 64GB model for $150! I'm happy with the hardware and the os is smoth, but the ecosystem is sad. If Android could be loaded on the PlayBook...
    12-24-12 01:13 PM
    PlayBook hasn't been on sale, its been clearenced.
    They're out of 16 gb models. Retailers keep re-ordered and getting more in. "Clearanced" means "selling off and not getting more in". There's already evidence of new Boxing Day shipments.

And again (since people keep missing this):

In August, they released a new, updated PlayBook LTE running at 1.5 ghz
    12-24-12 01:50 PM
    well skype will be there. I BB10 Believe!
    Wishful thinking. I would have got a playbook if I thought there was any chance of it happening in the next 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    12-24-12 02:12 PM
    My iPad 4 is going to be packed up and shipped out as soon as the new PB 10" comes out. IMHO, RIM should of gone for the 10" version in the first place.
    12-24-12 02:25 PM
    I am very interested to see the next series of Tablets from RIM - and I believe it would be a mistake to continue the PlayBook tm here in the USA. I know its easy to find in Canada - I have friends there and many have recently purchased them at very attractive pricing, and I encouraged them to do so saying BB10 on these should be a great addition.

That said the next time I see one here in the States will be the 3rd time (mine not included). I do not have one of my remaining US BBM friends who has one that would could do a Video Chat test when I asked, I had to do it with Canada. RIM have work to do to market a Tablet here, going to a Best Buy likely you will see a dead PB sitting next to the others all up and running and able to be used.

I share NJBB's take on the PlayBook, also being an early adopter. I also remember taking the market surveys before the PB was launched, all of them lead me to believe that PB would be a serious business tool "for people who do". Instead we have toys (games) not tools (business apps)? How in the heck did that happen exactly? Just about everyone of my recent additions are Android sideloads, and if I wanted a Gingerbread Android tablet I would own one. PlayBook still, even with all the updates and improvements, requires far too much work to make it useful.

Like the phones, I want my tablet to do what I want it to do. If I see something in an article, an ad, on tv that I want to do - I want to go to BlackBerry world and get it on my tablet. I don't think that's too much to ask whether you paid $550 or $150 - and so far that ball is dropped.

I have every faith that Alec is out there with the guys (when he's not making music videos ) fixing this problem, and that the next gen of BB Tabs will be wonderful. Its going to be interesting to see what they cost when that happens.
    12-24-12 06:29 PM
    Sold only in Canada and not available through retail outlets. Now that's a marketing strategy.

It is great that people who have them love them. I don't love mine (I bought it on the first day, at Best Buy - a 64GB model at full price). Terrible impulse purchase. And I buy a lot of hardware. The power button is flush to the top making it difficult to turn on and off. The design with a power plug on the bottom makes it difficult/impossible to stand up using the RIM OEM case. Power button can't be used with the case on.

Oh yeah, it's a winner. And yes, 18 month old hardware. I don't care when it was assembled. And wrote off vs. wrote down is semantic. They priced them too high (because they thought they could compete with an iPad) and had to write them down. Taking a loss.
    Of all things to complain about you choose the OEM case? Do your homework and get a Blurex case. Great quality and problem quickly and easily solved. You can also just swipe down from the top to wake up (turn on) the device.
    12-24-12 06:58 PM
    Blurex case didn't exist when I bought my PlayBook. I am not wasting one more penny on this unused device.
    It's an inherent danger of buying something brand new on day one.
    Words to live by for BB 10. New hardware, new OS, new BES.

I absolutely should have waited and done my homework before buying the PlayBook. On that part we agree.
    12-24-12 08:40 PM
    I couldn't be happier with the PB. The screen, the audio, and flash support are the keys for me. There are websites that I rely on that only use flash video. I have the blurex case. This thing is so awesome, I've had it for a year, got it for 200 bucks. I don't regret it for a second, and I love the bridge feature also. Very satisfied.

My girlfriend has a Nexus 7, I also like that. It's better in many ways, particularly just a faster processor. But being a BB 9930 owner, I wouldn't trade my PB for anything in the world.
    owadkelly likes this.
    12-24-12 09:08 PM
    Who's "The New Age Online"? Ah, it is a story from AFP.

I am not that surprised, the price is very good and I love my Playbook.

Lies.

The Playbook does not have Microsoft Office any more than iOS and Android devices. Only Windows devices do. All platforms have apps which can read and write Microsoft Office files, and RIM bundles such an app with the Blackberry Playbook. This may make the price even more attractive but it is not a strong differentiator.

NOT LIE SAID CAN EDIT MICROSOFT FILES BETTER THAN THE OTHERS! Please READ! The point is right out of the box you can work with Microsoft files without having to grab a app.

Seriously? Honestly, the Playbook has a good display but it is not on par with the iPad's.
    Display is pretty good and has 1080p recording and playback quality. Think only maxipad 4 has that.
    12-24-12 10:00 PM
74 123