RIM's PlayBook Android App Player Leaks out
    By Nancy Gohring, IDG News Jul 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Research In Motion may be getting close to releasing the Android app player it promised for the PlayBook, judging from an old version of the player found on the BlackBerry.com website.

The N4BB blog reported that it was sent a beta build of the Android App Player for PlayBook, which had been found through a changelog in a desktop manager update on the BlackBerry website.

RIM appears to have pulled the Web page but some bloggers have already posted it elsewhere for anyone to download.

Those who have reported that the app player is a large file and is slow. It also lacks a back button but users have discovered that swiping across the bottom of the screen moves to the previous page. Users are under the impression that this is a relatively old version of the software.

RIM did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the leaked player.

In March, RIM announced that it would ship software so that PlayBook customers could run Android and Java apps on the tablet. The move takes some of the pressure off RIM to try to cultivate a rich developer following by allowing existing Android apps to run on the PlayBook. The process won't be totally straightforward, however -- developers will need to port their apps to the PlayBook in a process RIM said will be quick and easy.

The company has not said when the Android and Java players will become available. RIM sold 500,000 PlayBooks during the first six weeks of sales, a figure that many observers called inadequate. Some have criticized the tablet for its lack of a native email clients.

[pcworld.com/article/236256/rims_playbook_android_app_player_leaks_out.html]RIM's PlayBook Android App Player Leaks out | PCWorld[/url]
    07-21-11 04:50 PM
    it's been recalled now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 04:26 AM
    If they did more teasers like this they would get more hype. Just showing it off at rimfest or what ever it was called isn't a off and more likely to get people frustrated for the wait. At least with leaks people can be like yayyy I got an early build at least something is keeping me preoccupied until the full release and look a feed back button yayyy I'm helping! Geeks like to be included. Idk it worked for many game manufacturers to have a beta test group, blizzard again being the biggest. People went nuts when world of Warcraft updates would go into beta. I imagine they still do but I wouldn't know first hand anymore.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    07-22-11 06:26 AM
    they just created the hype and now nobody talks about it!!
    07-29-11 10:35 AM
    All this is just a buying time tactic. Expect to see leaks until october when substantial update comes out.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    07-29-11 10:40 AM
    ... now "late fall" is the guidance issued... that could mean December???
    08-03-11 08:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD