Today was good and exciting to see some of the new features that will be in BB10. But we have to face reality on this one. The perception around the cell phone community isn't a good one for blackberry and Rim. Out of all the people I know family, friend, co-worker, and the like I know two that have a blackberry. My brother and I and that's it. I meet a lady that saw I had a blackberry and she was like why do you have that phone they suck. I asked her did she ever own a blackberry and she said NO. So can you see how the publics perception of RIM as a company and their phone are at an all-time worst. So to the point of this whole thing. RIM need a another party to help them get back on top they can't do it alone. So that's why I'm starting to believe the rumors about RIM and Samsung working out a deal to put there OS on samsung phones exclusivly for BB10. Rim can bring this phone out and blow away the competition in specs and OS features and still won't sale very much... Because of their public perception and I don't think marketing alone will fix that... They need another company to help them get back on top and Samsung might just be that company.
    05-01-12 05:01 PM
    I would agree that another company such as Samsung would make sense... does not mean RIM could not do it alone... As they are a debt free company with around 2 Billion in the bank it is concievable they could go alone.... Simply partnering wiht another company is going to change other's perception.....
    05-01-12 05:21 PM
    I'm willing to bet everything on it. RIM will announce they are partnering with another company. Its not about the money or being debt free. PERCEPTION! When someone is new to smart phone you think they are going to blackberry. No one likes blackberry. Look at the media even though they had a good showing yesterday a LOT of media outlets still don't believe they can turn it around. I'm not going to label them hater (like most) they are just looking at the big A$$ hurdle they have to jump across.
    05-02-12 01:30 PM
    #HeneyBlog - Bright Days for RIM... Only if its Perception in the Media Changes

Seems like a hot topic today! I started writing it yesterday, but just finished it earlier today. #HeneyBlog
    05-02-12 02:04 PM
    Today was good and exciting to see some of the new features that will be in BB10. But we have to face reality on this one. The perception around the cell phone community isn't a good one for blackberry and Rim. Out of all the people I know family, friend, co-worker, and the like I know two that have a blackberry. My brother and I and that's it. I meet a lady that saw I had a blackberry and she was like why do you have that phone they suck. I asked her did she ever own a blackberry and she said NO. So can you see how the publics perception of RIM as a company and their phone are at an all-time worst.
    Your reality and my reality differ greatly.

If your scope is Tuscon Arizona as your location indicates then I would have to say that you sample testing your friend, family members and a lady you met is not sufficient.

Try a city with a population greater than a million.
    05-02-12 02:11 PM
    It will not happen - simply because Samsung is on such a massive upswing on it's own - it's selling tens of millions of phones and between itself and Apple made 100% of the profits in the sector last quarter. It doesn't need a partnership with RIM. Moreover, BB10 is completely unproven at this point.
    05-02-12 02:17 PM
    1) Samsung would manufacture parts for RIM (as they did for Apple), but they will not build the phone for them.

2) Why would RIM want someone else to build the phone for them? Are their manufacturing expenses too high? I actually think that one of the methods for RIM to generate extra revenue is to seek to expand their manufacturing capabilities. Trackballs aside, RIM's devices have always been solidly built. Get into the business of supplying parts to other tech companies, of building navigation/entertainment systems for cars, etc. I highly doubt that outsourcing will cut costs, or raise quality, by much, if at all.
    05-02-12 02:30 PM
    It will not happen - simply because Samsung is on such a massive upswing on it's own - it's selling tens of millions of phones and between itself and Apple made 100% of the profits in the sector last quarter. It doesn't need a partnership with RIM. Moreover, BB10 is completely unproven at this point.
    As long as the number crunchers at Samsung see a reasonable opportunity for profit, there's no reason why they wouldn't if the two companies come to a deal to benefit both of them. It goes beyond just device sales and revenue. It can also be an opportunity to gain access to licensing and patents for both companies.

2) Why would RIM want someone else to build the phone for them? Are their manufacturing expenses too high? I actually think that one of the methods for RIM to generate extra revenue is to seek to expand their manufacturing capabilities. Trackballs aside, RIM's devices have always been solidly built. Get into the business of supplying parts to other tech companies, of building navigation/entertainment systems for cars, etc. I highly doubt that outsourcing will cut costs, or raise quality, by much, if at all.
    Because manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, etc.. have the capability to go from drawing-board to the consumer's hands much faster than RIM ever has. As well, BB10 devices could much more easily take advantage of tech proprietary to those manufacturers.
    05-02-12 03:04 PM
    Your reality and my reality differ greatly.

If your scope is Tuscon Arizona as your location indicates then I would have to say that you sample testing your friend, family members and a lady you met is not sufficient.

your reality is a blind one. i have a scope of family, and friends in the military all over the world. yes some of them contractors have to use blackberry for their jobs. but as far as personal phone i know two people my brother and i. thats it! rim has many BIG hurdles to jump just to get into maybe second place again forget 1st place... and that REALITY. im willing to put all my money on the fact that RIM could release BB10 phones that technically blow android and IOS out the water and still wouldnt sell like iphone 5 will. they have to change their persecption and marketing tactics.
    05-03-12 10:21 PM
    Today was good and exciting to see some of the new features that will be in BB10. But we have to face reality on this one. The perception around the cell phone community isn't a good one for blackberry and Rim. Out of all the people I know family, friend, co-worker, and the like I know two that have a blackberry. My brother and I and that's it. I meet a lady that saw I had a blackberry and she was like why do you have that phone they suck. I asked her did she ever own a blackberry and she said NO. So can you see how the publics perception of RIM as a company and their phone are at an all-time worst. So to the point of this whole thing. RIM need a another party to help them get back on top they can't do it alone. So that's why I'm starting to believe the rumors about RIM and Samsung working out a deal to put there OS on samsung phones exclusivly for BB10. Rim can bring this phone out and blow away the competition in specs and OS features and still won't sale very much... Because of their public perception and I don't think marketing alone will fix that... They need another company to help them get back on top and Samsung might just be that company.

Man! Can you imagine BB 10 on a galaxy note!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 10:38 PM
    I think RIM should continue to manufacture their own devices. The same people that want RIM to let Samsung manufacture their handsets are the same idiots calling for RIM to sell off their infrastructure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    TrespassersW likes this.
    05-03-12 10:48 PM
    This is an incredibly stupid comment lol
    05-04-12 07:15 AM
    Samsung used to make top notch PC monitors and TV's about 5+ years ago. Now they're another company that resembles all of their neighboring companies. Cheap Hyundai knock-offs of Honda, Cheap F2P MMO knockoffs, etc.
    Samsung is still the market leader for LCD and LED TVs, and any calibrator will tell you that Samsung's picture quality is as good as it gets.
    05-04-12 07:46 AM
    This is an incredibly stupid comment lol
    Stupid is a relative term, especially when you have no idea of what you are referring to.
    The poster is using family, members, a person he/she met on the street and the population of Tuscon to make a broad statement. LOL
    snip...But we have to face reality on this one. The perception around the cell phone community isn't a good one for blackberry and Rim. Out of all the people I know family, friend, co-worker, and the like I know two that have a blackberry. My brother and I and that's it. I meet a lady that saw I had a blackberry and she was like why do you have that phone they suck. ...
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05-04-12 at 08:33 AM.
    05-04-12 08:27 AM
    There are more option to RIM and Samsung other than Samsung building phones for RIM.

There is in fact, a highly viable opportunity to license BB10 to Samsung, which makes a large degree of operating sense for both companies...both companies have pressure, motivation and favourable risk/benefit profiles from such a deal

I think RIM should continue to manufacture their own devices. The same people that want RIM to let Samsung manufacture their handsets are the same idiots calling for RIM to sell off their infrastructure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-04-12 08:28 AM
    Samsung is still the market leader for LCD and LED TVs, and any calibrator will tell you that Samsung's picture quality is as good as it gets.
    This I have to agree with. Sammy's monitors always seem to provide among the higher quality displays and at very reasonable prices compared to similarly spec'd competitors.

As far as RIM farming out hardware production to another manufacturer, I'm kind of mixed; but I can see some definite advantages to such a partnership with someone with a reputation like Samsung.
    05-04-12 08:34 AM
    IMHO Samsung+RIM together (as a manufacturer) should have been announced @ BBWC to be a valuable action. Now, nothing should move until BB10 rocks the street. If it's a "do", then licences will be much more expensive. If it's a "die", then massive investments (dev, marketing, hardware) will be needed and then a $$ manufacturing company will be ... mandatory.
    05-04-12 09:45 AM
    IMHO Samsung+RIM together (as a manufacturer) should have been announced @ BBWC to be a valuable action. Now, nothing should move until BB10 rocks the street. If it's a "do", then licences will be much more expensive. If it's a "die", then massive investments (dev, marketing, hardware) will be needed and then a $$ manufacturing company will be ... mandatory.
    If BB10 turns out to be a dud, no amount of investment in anything will matter. RIM will need to either seriously restructure itself to be strictly a service company or be parted out and sold for scrap. They need to be strategizing now (and very well may be, for all we know) about such manufacturing partnerships. I think it would never have happened under Mike and Jim, but Thorsten seems more amenable to such options. Even so, we would not hear about it until a deal is signed, sealed and delivered.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-04-12 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD