I believe the reason why they don't care about ecosystem when it comes to ubuntu is because they are dreaming about their phone being a pocket computer running a computer operating system. If this were theoretically possible, then there would be no need for ecosystem because then your phone would just run mainstream computer software.
    Unfortunately computer software is not optimized for big fingers and small screens.
    01-07-13 02:33 PM
    Yahoo
    01-07-13 02:39 PM
    Curiously, I think that it's good that there are lots of new alternative OSes coming this year. These other platforms can give the taste of new for many people who'd like to change and destabilize the two leaders' position. The traditional press and internet community will be curious about novelties and their comparison, which gives one more chance to BB10. (Take the WP: it came out as a lonely challenger to two giants. It's very hard to succeed if you're nothing yet and compared only to well established good products. So the WP didn't take all the profit from the beginning of the decline of Apple). The situation will be different this year and BB10 has all its chances if they do it well (only IF they do it really good).
    Besides, Apple doesn't seem to innovate a lot lately, the iOS is ageing, the fans are getting tired...it'll take some people off the iPhone.
    01-07-13 02:56 PM
    author manages to subtly bash all platforms in 1 article.
    Maybe he's waiting for the fabled Facebook phone? :-)
    01-07-13 03:11 PM
    Where you can start to drive a wedge: there's the odd BB10 feature that's very visible and very cool. The keyboard and the Scalado camera are good examples
    No body speaks about the unlock gesture (it's just an unlock gesture, right? But don't forget the popularity of the iPhone unlock, there are even apps to simulate it on others platforms ). I'm ready to bet that this beautiful gesture alone will bring twice more clients than the hub and the keyboard and the swipes together...regular users are not technophiles, but they buy into fancy stuff ))
    01-07-13 04:16 PM
    While I always hear the argument that many people are 'bored' with their device and would switch, there could possible be equal or more people who are comfortable using their current device.

I know many many many parents and grandparents who use an iPhone because it's easy to use (poke and play) and most likely will not switch to another phone. The iPhone is probably THE easiest smartphone to navigate and use on the market right now.
    01-07-13 04:54 PM
    [QUOTE=narci;7832029]While I always hear the argument that many people are 'bored' with their device and would switch, there could possible be equal or more people who are comfortable using their current device.

I know many many many parents and grandparents who use an iPhone because it's easy to use (poke and play) and most likely will not switch to another phone. The iPhone is probably THE easiest smartphone to navigate and use on the market right now.[/QUOTE

That's alot of wishful thinking. The fact is because "parents' and "grandparents" use iphones it is now seen as uncool or something "old" people use. Iphone5 was the last straw that will take apple down as users had enough of apple ripping them of with old and outdated tech/OS phones that don't match up to low end android phones. Many ex-iphone users I know dropped apple like it was a turd and these were huge ifans. The masses are fickle and apple and google knows it which is why they spend alot of money for paid articles to the 6 or so companies that control US media .It just might be to little to late for apple to come back.

Consumer Reports Is No Fan Of iPhone 5 - Forbes
    01-07-13 05:38 PM
    snip...
    1. The Smartphone market is still growing rapidly because more people in most places are still on feature phones. This takes the view that RIM needs to convince people to switch from iPhone and Android to survive. Maybe that would be the case if the Smartphone market had flattened or declined, but it's still growing because of the feature phone upgraders.
    Stop using this argument. You have a real world example that a growing market may not help a handset maker. Enter Microsoft.

. 79 million people have stuck with (arguably) the most ridiculed company in the media for the last two years, which suggest some people do 'still care' and 'will ugprade'
    How many of those 79 million people are Corporate users who are handed a Blackberry.
    bk1022 likes this.
    01-07-13 06:28 PM
    Mmmmm there are some awaiting to see how the BB10 works and make a decision on what device to buy, do you remember that afew days before the iphone5 was released, the GSIII increased their sales? people were waiting the iphone5 to see if they would buy or not ... This is the same case, people is waiting these release to make a decision ... I am awaiting BB10 to buy it, I already make my decision, I like BB, but not everybody is loyal as some of us, let them choose ...

And I think on another example of why some would not like and some other will love it; I just got an incredible new HP with Windows8 and I do not like it!!! Even when I am into Systems bussiness I need to take time and learn how to use it, and I have learn many people is expressing this is the first time we need to learn how to use it; and some of my friends also my father were so happy when they got it and enjoy this learning new tthings.

So, we will see many different opinions because we all want different things for our toys =) ... But the only thing I am sure, I will love my new BB
    magutwit likes this.
    01-07-13 06:56 PM
    I think the article pretty much sums it up.

As a devices the new BB10's look really good.

But unless RIM has held back something surprising, that may not mean anything to most consumers.

Is it an iPhone? So will the 30-%40% of people that are "convinced" they need an iPhone buy one?? NO (most either buy an iPhone or get a cheaper Android device... now WHEN RIM does have a low cost version it should do well)
    Will someone who is invested in the Apple ecosystem and is happy with the iPhone change??? NO
    Will someone who wants either the newest and fastest hardware go for one?? NO
    Will someone who wants a cheap smart phone (0-$50) ON Contract be able to afford one?? NO (rare that even BBOS7 Curves get this cheap)

So who will buy one?
    Existing BB users.
    Businesses and Gov renewing contracts.
    People who have never had a smartphone (not many left like this - and can afford one), but have heard the name BB.
    Few Tech types who buy one of everything.

RIM is starting ALL over in a way. But most "start-up" companies have to have either something unique or something the is very low cost. BB10 is new, but not really unique. Mobile Fusion is maybe the most unique feature, but how many consumers will use it?

But all of this is just opinions and speculation. Will see in a couple of weeks what RIM has to offer and then will have to wait a few months and see how well it does.
    Good post.
    01-07-13 07:13 PM
    The article does raise good points.
    The general consumer has a negative view on blackberry 10 simply because they have a negative opinion on blackberry.

Outside of tech circles and at a guess most existing blackberry users, there really isnt any excitement over BB10.

On the flip side, it hasnt been mass marketed yet, so RIM have a chance to turn it around, but its a tall task with limited funding. (they dont have 1bill to market before someone says that nonsense)
    But i hope RIM realise that the best thing they can do to generate hype, is to get the phones in peoples hands and let the word of mouth spread. only problem is, it has to be people who are converted. i'm pretty sure many of you, like myself is seen as a bb fanboy simply because i refused to join people on Android or iOS.
    What RIM needs to do, is price the phones competitively. Run competitions and get them out like that. Maybe set a sponsored blackberry challenge. whatever it takes to get people using the devices and seeing for themselves, as that is their best shot of growing again
    magutwit likes this.
    01-07-13 07:24 PM
    People might "invest" in their platforms, but there are many instances where I personally purchase an app and stop using it after a while. One example is Machinarium for my Playbook. I bought it, finished it (great game, by the way), and didn't really touch it again.
    01-07-13 07:55 PM
    People might "invest" in their platforms, but there are many instances where I personally purchase an app and stop using it after a while. One example is Machinarium for my Playbook. I bought it, finished it (great game, by the way), and didn't really touch it again.
    If a device is compelling enough, I think people will move, invested or not. I do think they will expect close to a similar experience (at the least) to ease the move. This is where i think Apple's consumer-friendly system has an advantage.

As far as apps, re-buying apps won't be an obstacle, bu the apps will have to be available to tempt non-BBers.
    01-07-13 08:29 PM
    Stop using this argument. You have a real world example that a growing market may not help a handset maker. Enter Microsoft.
    Do some research, pal. You'll see full well that the Smarpthone market overall continues to grow. How could that possibly be? :-) And could it be that it has actually helped Microsoft, Apple, Android and yes even RIM over the last few years? Why? Because some are switching to smartphones. Know three who just bought their first smartphone after carrying around an old NOKIA phone forever. Some may stay on flip phones but where do you think a lot of the smartphone growth in emerging markets is coming from? Wax string and tin cans?

http://www.companiesandmarkets.com/M...d-a47c38e3ae3c

Here's an old chart for the US. Now imagine the same trend in other markets around the globe

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...n-u-s-by-2011/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...feature-phones

How many of those 79 million people are Corporate users who are handed a Blackberry.
    The majority of BlackBerry users are consumers and it has been that way for years.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 01-07-13 at 08:55 PM.
    01-07-13 08:42 PM
    i think i heard that apple didnt have much off a chance in the mobile market. another analysts/opinion piece trying to be the smartest guy in the room. worth the lint in your pants.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 09:31 PM
    22 days to go, no need to predict anything now
    01-07-13 09:31 PM
    he cares because he wrote the article. so he is incorrect.
    Why the hate?
    01-07-13 09:33 PM
    People? which people? The rest of the world cares even if the writer dont. RIM will do well then he and his little tricycle friends will come running..... all in good fun your thread is
    Last edited by collinc93; 01-07-13 at 10:39 PM.
    01-07-13 10:26 PM
    Maybe he's waiting for the fabled Facebook phone? :-)
    Oh, the one that was rousing flop?
    01-07-13 10:38 PM
    If it is the experience people want, it will sell, but RIM needs to please the base and then work on drawing in more. You whizz off your base with a half-hearted effort, plan on being lonely as a Maytag Repairman in Alaska.
    01-07-13 10:42 PM
    Oh, the one that was rousing flop?
    Oh there actually was a phone that Facebook released? I thought it was one of those long rumoured, never appearing things like a phone from Amazon.
    01-07-13 10:47 PM
    Well, unfortunately, the only guarantees in life are death and taxes. The new marketing ploy has to finish telling the story about the new Blackberries and convincing everyone that this is not the same old RIM anymore. Also, it's not about RIM catching up to iphone or Android with this launch. It's about staying relevant, selling as many 1st gen BB10s as possible, and trying to regain lost ground from the other two.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-07-13 10:54 PM
    I know many many many parents and grandparents who use an iPhone because it's easy to use (poke and play) and most likely will not switch to another phone. The iPhone is probably THE easiest smartphone to navigate and use on the market right now.
    You can't imagine how many of these "parents and grandparents" ask me (although I've never had an iPhone) to help them with their iPhone to do the simpliest things like attach a photo to an email, send an email or see an attached photo. Their children would insist they buy an iPhone when they change their phone, but then they just can't use it...
    I'm speaking about what I've seen my self in my social surrounding.
    01-08-13 02:36 AM
    It doesn't need a miracle - it needs hundreds of millions of marketing and promotional spend to be in the game, it needs billions to compete with Samsung and Apple (The only two players who currently worth a damn).
    01-08-13 04:51 AM
    You can't imagine how many of these "parents and grandparents" ask me (although I've never had an iPhone) to help them with their iPhone to do the simpliest things like attach a photo to an email, send an email or see an attached photo. Their children would insist they buy an iPhone when they change their phone, but then they just can't use it...
    I'm speaking about what I've seen my self in my social surrounding.
    ... but as long as they can Skype with the grandkids, they are happy.
    01-08-13 06:43 AM
85 1234