Thought everyone would be interested in this.
    Research in Motionís second quarter sounded alarm bells and may have signaled a smartphone price war, according to analysts. The companyís contention that it would target a Ďmore mainstreamí market was viewed as a sign that average selling prices would fall for multiple vendors.
    Read more here.
    09-25-09 12:17 PM
    If it happens its further proof that competition has few downsides for consumers. Many people blast the Jesus phone but it has made every one step up their game. The improvements in smartphones has been incredible in just the last couple of years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 12:45 PM
    "Our goal is to get more and more mainstream and get more and more volume," Balsillie said. "This is kind of a land grab."
    Straight from the horses mouth...
    09-25-09 01:24 PM
    80% of revenue from consumers, and people want RIM to abandon that market and focus on enterprise? They do that and they're dead!
    09-25-09 01:34 PM
    Do I hear a $249 Onyx? Maybe even $199?

*drool*
    09-25-09 01:38 PM
    Competition=good for consumers

09-25-09 02:03 PM
    Competition=good for consumers

Exactly same ... I've said before.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-25-09 at 02:49 PM. Reason: language
    09-25-09 02:08 PM
    Prices should be cheaper now maybe they are gonna take the competition a little more series

09-25-09 02:27 PM
    Price goes down, quality/features/development go down. If one company wipes an idea off of the whiteboard to drop price, the other company will quickly wipe something off of their own whiteboard to match the price.
    09-25-09 02:32 PM
    Then, some company with wild aspirations and low margin goals as they try to take a chunk out of the marketshare, will add said idea back on to their whiteboard with the dropped price.

Big companies A and B will have to add it back, or give up marketshare.
    09-25-09 02:38 PM
    Yeah. JMO, I don't want to get lower prices for a cheap looking device and have RIM sacrifice quality during "mass production" of the BBs.

09-25-09 02:58 PM
    Really. Then maybe we should call rim and just offer more money. Tell them that they're selling these things way too cheap. 500 million in on qtr is not nearly enough to keep their r and d going. I guess IBM should have kept their prices for computers at a level where only very large corporations could buy them. No need for competition to spur any new innovation.

09-25-09 03:06 PM
    Yaay Low prices!!
    09-25-09 03:23 PM
    Yeah. JMO, I don't want to get lower prices for a cheap looking device and have RIM sacrifice quality during "mass production" of the BBs.

That's probably what would happen too sadly

09-25-09 04:43 PM
    Their mis-steps in this area is probably going to result in another Q4 miss for RIMM. It seems these problems just keep getting larger and larger, and management is unable to resolve it... fortunately for RIMM their products are still better in quality than Apple / Foxconn
    09-25-09 04:50 PM
    RIM will have to lower prices on the BBs, to compete with the iphone. I had no idea that they go as low as $99. RIM better come out with some great deals, or customers will leave when their contracts are up.

Get Started - | Apple iPhone 3G - 8 GB
    09-25-09 11:49 PM
    Well RIM better revamp their OS quick to compete with visual OSs like Android, WebOS, and iphone. The 1990's pager looking textual OS needs to be retired.

they also better revamp BIS because its a horrible system when other platforms give you full Exchange and full IMAP Gmail out of the box- no $45 and needing a BES server BS to get basic email features (folders, contact/calendar sync, real Gmail, 2 way email sync, etc). The glorified mush inbox wont appeal to consumers for very long now that people are using more and more email features like folders (Gmail especially).

Thats the ONLY way theyll be successful in the consumer space in the next few years.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-27-09 at 12:43 AM.
    09-27-09 12:35 AM
    When it is time for me to reup in a year or so, I want to check out the Android phones. I like what I see so far but am thinking that in another year the Android will be the way to go.
    09-27-09 01:38 AM
    When it is time for me to reup in a year or so, I want to check out the Android phones. I like what I see so far but am thinking that in another year the Android will be the way to go.
    +1 on this

I had a taste of Android. It has a way to go but is still pretty rockin. So much potential there.

09-27-09 02:09 AM
    I agree with you stuaw11. Re: need a better OS and BIS.
    I also agree with you ba_hamilton. Re: Android is the way to go.

RIM's statement that they want to go more and more mainstream does not necessarily mean that they will skimp on quality and get into a price war with Apple, HTC, and everyone else. Competitors will affect the price of BB's to some degree no matter what, but RIM could minimize this. They could go the opposite route - build a truly spectacular device and try to position themselves as the top-of-the-line smart-phone maker for consumers. I think they would need to revamp the look of their OS. They would also need to make the OS run cleaner - eliminate the need for daily battery-pulls. Maybe they should develop an Android BB if they can stomach a partnership with Google. Let Google worry about developing the nuts and bolts of the OS and concentrate on tailoring it specifically to Blackberries. They would also need to upgrade their browser: I want to see the actual Internet on my phone, not the mobile Internet. Finally, they would just need to get more consumer minded: Apps, music, high res video, Facebook apps, etc. The iPhone has something like 70,000 apps (I know that 90% of them are the same thing over and over, but that means that there are 7,000 unique apps out there!) RIM needs to better facilitate and promote app development.

Competition does not necessarily mean lower prices and cheaper quality (although it might and I think that would be the end of RIM). It could lead to great innovations. The newest devices would be expensive, but prices would come down with time. I'd rather see a more capable piece of equipment than BOGOs on lame, tired, dime-a-dozen, dumb phones.
    09-27-09 02:30 AM
    I agree with you stuaw11. Re: need a better OS and BIS.
    I also agree with you ba_hamilton. Re: Android is the way to go.

RIM's statement that they want to go more and more mainstream does not necessarily mean that they will skimp on quality and get into a price war with Apple, HTC, and everyone else. Competitors will affect the price of BB's to some degree no matter what, but RIM could minimize this. They could go the opposite route - build a truly spectacular device and try to position themselves as the top-of-the-line smart-phone maker for consumers. I think they would need to revamp the look of their OS. They would also need to make the OS run cleaner - eliminate the need for daily battery-pulls. Maybe they should develop an Android BB if they can stomach a partnership with Google. Let Google worry about developing the nuts and bolts of the OS and concentrate on tailoring it specifically to Blackberries. They would also need to upgrade their browser: I want to see the actual Internet on my phone, not the mobile Internet. Finally, they would just need to get more consumer minded: Apps, music, high res video, Facebook apps, etc. The iPhone has something like 70,000 apps (I know that 90% of them are the same thing over and over, but that means that there are 7,000 unique apps out there!) RIM needs to better facilitate and promote app development.

Competition does not necessarily mean lower prices and cheaper quality (although it might and I think that would be the end of RIM). It could lead to great innovations. The newest devices would be expensive, but prices would come down with time. I'd rather see a more capable piece of equipment than BOGOs on lame, tired, dime-a-dozen, dumb phones.
    This. +2

I am not 100% on the way that open source works in this case, but I think that RIM wouldn't even have to enter a partnership with Google, or pay licenscing fees. I think the whole point is to get Android running on as many different devices as effortlessly as possible.

I believe Android could become a de facto standard in the consumer market. RIM would be wise to jump on that train before it leaves the station. They can keep the BB OS for all you business nerds who e-rage about about devices being "toys".
    09-27-09 09:14 AM

Probably not what is going to happen. There will be high end and low end devices. It is not an all or nothing proposition.

09-27-09 04:16 PM
    RIM will have to lower prices on the BBs, to compete with the iphone. I had no idea that they go as low as $99. RIM better come out with some great deals, or customers will leave when their contracts are up.

Get Started - | Apple iPhone 3G - 8 GB
    that or Rim will pressure AT&T to give them the same subsize they give apple ($400)
    09-27-09 06:10 PM
    RIM wouldn't even have to enter a partnership with Google, or pay licenscing fees. I think the whole point is to get Android running on as many different devices as effortlessly as possible.
    You could be right about that. I assumed that since Google developed Android that anyone who wants to use it would need to pay or at least get Google's OK. I don't know much about open source.
    09-29-09 01:26 AM
    i believe cheaper phones when it happens. I was born in missouri.
    09-29-09 02:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD