By now, everyone knows about the dismal Q3 report. What I don't understand is this new commitment to marketing. Don't get me wrong, marketing seems like a fine idea. What I don't get is why it has not been a priority up to this point.

Many here believe that the only things separating BB from the popularity of iOS and Android are a few snazzy commercials. If that's all it took, why haven't we seen them already. I mean, what kind of criminal incompetence are we dealing with. All you needed was to hire a good ad agency to dominate the market, really? Obviously, that's BS.

Still, what are they going to do differently, how will that make a difference, and why, if it will make a difference, wasn't it done already? What is the deal with this "new" focus on marketing?

Thoughts?
    12-16-11 11:46 AM
    Many here believe that the only things separating BB from the popularity of iOS and Android are a few snazzy commercials. If that's all it took, why haven't we seen them already. I mean, what kind of criminal incompetence are we dealing with. All you needed was to hire a good ad agency to dominate the market, really? Obviously, that's BS.
    Exactly.

Even the best advertisement in the world cannot sell a product nobody wants.

Buying decisions are influenced only by advertising of commodity products.

Advertising builds brand awareness and brand equity. Decisions are not made because of a good ad. If that's the case, Progressive would never sell another car insurance policy.

National car ads are not made to sell cars. They are made to keep brand loyalty. The local car dealer ads sell cars. The ads serve as verification that you made a good decision.

Who believes that Jlo drives a Fiat 500? These are pure image ads in an effort to be cool. I think this campaign is silly. They focused too much on a music video and nothing about the car. Too shallow.
    12-16-11 12:09 PM
    Ok, call me officially jaded. I love my month-old 9900 and my PlayBook. 9900 is the best phone I've ever owned, and it and the PlayBook are the only devices of their kind that I would want to own and use. But what I like doesn't mean squat to the overall health and future of this or any other company. Just wanted to get that out there lest I be mistaken for a BB-hating troll.

That being said, I really need to see what they have in mind with this new commitment to marketing. They were supposedly going to market the crap out of the PlayBook when it was first released back in April, and in fact they made a bit of a fuss over the fact that earnings for that quarter would take a hit because of it. I saw two or three misguided and nonsensical commercials touting things that mean nothing to the average consumer and completely ignoring its strengths. Additionally, the retail stores that sold the device had little or no in-store advertising, and most of their sales people had no clue how to even turn the thing on.

As I noted in another thread, marketing is not just memorable ad spots and catchy jingles. Marketing starts with knowing who your customers are and what they want and need, then developing a product or products that addresses those wants and needs. All advertising does is bring attention to the finished product. No matter how much I or any other BB user enjoys our BB devices and services, RIM has missed horribly on developing and executing a complete marketing strategy since at least 2007. I hate to sound like one of those bashers I've grown exceedingly weary of around these forums, but that's the way I see it. I saw a glimmer of hope in the latest at&t Torch commercial (cute and silly, but gets the point across that the Torch and at&t's supposed 4G network are fast), but I have a hunch that was more at&t's doing than RIM's.

So as for a renewed commitment to marketing, I'll believe it when I see it. Because so far they have clearly demonstrated that they have no clue what marketing is about.
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 12-16-11 at 12:19 PM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-16-11 12:15 PM
    Exactly.

Advertising builds brand awareness and brand equity. Decisions are not made because of a good ad. If that's the case, Progressive would never sell another car insurance policy.

National car ads are not made to sell cars. They are made to keep brand loyalty. The local car dealer ads sell cars. The ads serve as verification that you made a good decision.

Who believes that Jlo drives a Fiat 500? These are pure image ads in an effort to be cool. I think this campaign is silly. They focused too much on a music video and nothing about the car. Too shallow.
    Actually advertisement can make all the difference.

You know a lot of people don't even know the new Blackberries even exist? Why? They don't know. No one told them. Ie, no marketing.

If they knew that it existed, there's another viable option for them when looking for a phone.

Ads influence a person's decision in buying something.

Ads do make a huge difference. Believe it or not.
    12-16-11 12:22 PM
    Actually advertisement can make all the difference.

You know a lot of people don't even know the new Blackberries even exist? Why? They don't know. No one told them. Ie, no marketing.

If they knew that it existed, there's another viable option for them when looking for a phone.

Ads influence a person's decision in buying something.

Ads do make a huge difference. Believe it or not.
    OK, so why haven't they been doing it, and why do they get a pass for just now getting a clue?
    brucep1 likes this.
    12-16-11 12:25 PM
    OK, so why haven't they been doing it, and why do they get a pass for just now getting a clue?
    LOL! You call the bloodletting that's happening to their stock right now getting a pass?
    12-16-11 12:27 PM
    LOL! You call the bloodletting that's happening to their stock right now getting a pass?
    No. I call the fact that no one is calling for the head of the fool in charge of marketing, getting a pass.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-16-11 12:28 PM
    No. I call the fact that no one is calling for the head of the fool in charge of marketing, getting a pass.
    GREAT reply!!
    12-16-11 12:35 PM
    Actually, that guy left back in July to go to Samsung (Ryan Bidan, I believe). I have a feeling any expertise he may have had or wanted to offer was hamstrung by Frick & Frack, whose heads coincidentally are also being called for with increasing intensity and frequency.

Here's who I nominate to take their place:

1812dave likes this.
    12-16-11 12:41 PM
    The head of marketing can make marketing and advertising recommendations, but ultimately, it's the responsibility of the CEOs to decide in what direction the company is headed.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-16-11 12:53 PM
    I believe Jimmy B is Chief Marketing Officer. Just saying. Talking about marketing the product as if that is some kind of recent revelation is, quite frankly, embarrassing.
    12-16-11 01:15 PM
    By now, everyone knows about the dismal Q3 report. What I don't understand is this new commitment to marketing. Don't get me wrong, marketing seems like a fine idea. What I don't get is why it has not been a priority up to this point.

Still, what are they going to do differently, how will that make a difference, and why, if it will make a difference, wasn't it done already? What is the deal with this "new" focus on marketing?

Thoughts?
    A box of rocks is still only a box of rocks no matter how you market it.
    Yes, in the 70's they had "pet rocks" but where are they now?

To market something that is not on the same level as it competition is foolish.
    Again, tossing money down a deep dark hole.

Spend it on making a good product, one that is ahead of the pack and leading edge.
    That will sell more BBs than any type of marketing.

Remember, the worst movies have the best marketing.

Tim
    12-16-11 01:19 PM
    Good point. She wasn't even in the Bronx for the commercial! That pissed off many New Yorkers when she was trying to "represent" NY and she didn't even go there to shoot the commercial. lol.
    12-16-11 01:20 PM
    A big part of selling products and being successful depends on how you market them.

Why is RIM only focusing now on heavily advertising and marketing their BBOS7 and Playbook products? What triggered them to all of a sudden think...heck we should advertise!

Something is up, and its too little too late for RIM.
    12-16-11 03:11 PM
    I believe Jimmy B is Chief Marketing Officer. Just saying. Talking about marketing the product as if that is some kind of recent revelation is, quite frankly, embarrassing.

Last edited by Rickroller; 12-16-11 at 03:13 PM.
    Shlooky likes this.
    12-16-11 03:11 PM
    I'm trying to imagine the planning session that led to this brilliant insight:

Jim: "How are those BB10 phones coming?"

Mike: "Perfect. We were going to release them in the next month or so, but we found this new 4G tech that is going to change everything. It might be ready late next year."

Jim: "Is it something that will give us the lead? I mean, it has to be special if we are going to delay the launch."

Mike: "Don't worry! No one will have this tech but us. That's what the telemarketer told me. No one will have anything even close to low power 4G late next year. We will rule the world! What are you doing about our image problem, and the fact that people don't know about our current products?"

Jim: "You heard of TV? It's the box people buy to watch hockey games of teams they don't own. Well, I heard from a friend that they are now allowing companies to air 30-second messages about their products and services on the box for the people to watch during timeouts. I was told that for the right price, we could do that for our products."

Mike: "The he!! you say!"

Jim: When we announce this on the conference call, our stock is going to go through the roof. No rush on those new phones. This advertising gig is going to change everything!"
    12-16-11 03:52 PM
    Exactly.

tell that to the people that sell the ionized bracelet.....
    Shlooky likes this.
    12-16-11 04:26 PM
    tell that to the people that sell the ionized bracelet.....
    LOL what a scam that was! people will buy anything these days.
    12-16-11 05:01 PM
    LOL what a scam that was! people will buy anything these days.
    yes, I completely agree... but it does show the power of "effective" advertising and even more to the importance of thinking critically of what is presented to you.
    12-16-11 05:30 PM
    Ramp 'er up and get it set to fly down the racetrack! Time to start the marketing engines!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-16-11 05:49 PM
    While it has been joked around that Kevin should be CEO, I honestly think he would make a great spokesperson, a face for RIM.
    12-16-11 06:41 PM
    There are so many models confusingly named, I don't see how RIM can effectively market them.
    Last edited by moretreelessbush; 12-17-11 at 12:43 PM.
    12-17-11 12:13 PM
    The best marketing comes from customers. Not companies.
    12-17-11 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD