Yeah - what's that?
    It's very secret....
    01-11-13 12:20 PM
    I would like to add the Engadget interview with Alec Saunders yesterday. Alec was stuck in CES crowd while the two senior guys at Engadget talked about BB10, they were almost gushing. If you watched them rip apart RIM execs in the past you will be amazed.

Live from the Engadget CES Stage: an interview with RIM's Alec Saunders (update: video embedded)
    Wow they sounded like Blackberry fanboys. I was surprised. They talk about Blackberry, like the media used to talk about Apple when they first brought out the iPhone.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-11-13 12:42 PM
    Imagine that marketing works! Hmmm.......
    01-11-13 12:48 PM
    Imagine that marketing works! Hmmm.......
    I think it has less to do with marketing and more to do with RIM doing what they have needed to do: make a product that had people taking.
    01-11-13 12:51 PM
    Fox News posted one today.. That seemed unlikely!
    Blackberry 10 is actually pretty awesome | Fox News
    collinc93 and 00stryder like this.
    01-11-13 01:11 PM
    RIMM share price is currently up 11.5% after a pre-market service outage... It's working alright.
    01-11-13 01:20 PM
    Perhaps they shouldn't have even TRIED to do the Storm, and just acquired QNX as soon as the all-touch paradigm took over, but I am sure a lot of shareholders would not have reacted well to the perceived inaction of not doing anything to counter "all-touch" until a QNX-based OS could have been built... but that's all water under the bridge now... bad decisions and even worse public / investor relations (over promise, under deliver) gaffes... but still... where are we now? Right at the point Jim and Mike were heading, under Thor's excellent leadership.
    Under Thor the company went through a lot of structural changes that is currently leading to it's success as an organisation (apart from the obviously wise decision of Jim and Mike to acquire companies like Torch, TAT & QNX). Pre-Thorsten, the company was much like Nortel ... too many middle managers getting in the way of innovation ... in fact, many of these managers were ex-Nortel and a lot of bad habits were being transferred to RIM. That has changed .. this is a very different company .. and this is something that Thorsten and his executive team should take 100% credit for.
    Last edited by md03wx; 01-11-13 at 09:34 PM.
    lorax1284 likes this.
    01-11-13 09:18 PM
    U Pre-Thorsten, the company was much like Nortel ... too many middle managers getting in the way of innovation ... in fact, many of these managers were ex-Nortel and a lot of bad habits were being transferred to RIM.
    Somewhat, but a lot of the issue was the old guard leadership.

They had a lot of old guard vice presidents from the heyday of RIM who built up a complex, often competing structure. There was a lot of competition vs. cooperation and a lot of "people are on a need-to-know basis .... and you don't need to know". Some departments wouldn't make even basic decisions without vice president or C-level approval because the vice presidents and c-levels demanded it.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-12-13 08:03 AM
    All this good work could be undone in an instant if the pricing is wrong. RIM have to get this device into customers hands, and an iPhone level price is too high for that. Waivering buyer will look at both and go with the proven safe bet, the iPhone.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-12-13 09:56 AM
    All this good work could be undone in an instant if the pricing is wrong. RIM have to get this device into customers hands, and an iPhone level price is too high for that. Waivering buyer will look at both and go with the proven safe bet, the iPhone.
    Hopefully, the lesson of the Playbook pricing resonates still.
    01-12-13 12:13 PM
    What's disturbing is that on every single one of those blog articles, the comments are largely negative, and usually in a hostile manner. The usual droning of "RIM is done", "welcome to 2010", "Android/iOS has done this for years", "too little too late"...etc, etc, etc....makes me wonder if they are Google/Apple/MS operatives and counter-guerillas. Honestly, I guess I just don't identify with the "commenter culture" to thoroughly disparage anything new and innovative that might compete with your favorite device/platform/brand...
    Online commenters are some of the most uninformed and angry individuals the internet sees. Just take a look at YouTube. It's despicable.
    01-12-13 12:25 PM
    Just watched the gizmodo video again. When they showed the alarm clock feature that the device backlight turns on slowly when the alarm goes off read the subtitles in the video.

"i don't know how good it will be compared to a phillips sun alarm though"

Attachment 130903

Gizmodo, has it really come to that point? Your worst nightmare. BlackBerry 10 is so good that you have to compare a software feature to a purpose built, one use product??? That's all you've got? God forbid the ascending screen brightness wakeup alarm feature isn't as good as on an actual alarm clock that has a massive light built in.

Attachment 130902
    EPIC POST!!!
    I guess that we can fairly say that RIM has an extremely good product on its hands!!
    01-12-13 01:42 PM
    Watching a little football when the rain washed out the satelite. Went online and look what I saw...
    Attached Thumbnails RIM's Guerilla Marketing - It's Working-2013-01-12-17_39_39-nfl-football-gametracker-baltimore-ravens-vs.jpg  
    01-12-13 04:53 PM
    Watching a little football when the rain washed out the satelite. Went online and look what I saw...
    Sweeeeeet!
    01-12-13 05:19 PM
    Blackberry 10 sponsoring NFL things?? Hmmmm
    01-12-13 07:29 PM
    Oh god just stop it. It's the tech blogs job to cover what's new in technology. Everyone that follows tech crap is excited to see what bb10 will be like. Something new and different. But the average consumer doesn't know much let alone cares. No "guerrilla marketing". Just tech blogs doing what they've always been doing. When they covered RIM blunders it was a conspiracy now they are coverage RIM finally releasing a good products, its great marketing? Stop it.
    01-12-13 10:18 PM
    It's the tech blogs job to cover what's new in technology. Everyone that follows tech crap is excited to see what bb10 will be like. Something new and different. But the average consumer doesn't know much let alone cares.
    Well, if its the bloggers job to cover tech, why have they been so terrible at it for the past 6-10 months? I mean, all the same information was available to them as has been available to us, and my assessment of RIM and BB10 differs greatly from what the so-called "professionals" wrote in their blogs. Up to now, they have been UN-professional in sniping and cracking wise about RIM / BB10 in direct opposition to the FACTS on the ground re: RIM developer tools / developer relations and the quality and development schedule of BB10... stuck in the past, literally, that RIM didn't clone the iPhone in 2008 so "RIM is done", disregarding the continuing growth, no debt, and the efforts going into BB10. Now, just in the last month they're starting to be 'respectful'. Can you attribute that to them doing their jobs PROPERLY now, on a whim?

I'll buy that you can't attribute the change in tone SOLELY to RIM's marketing team, but saying it's just tech bloggers doing what tech bloggers do is kind-of the OPPOSITE of what's going on, based on what these tech bloggers have been doing for the past year.
    Superfly_FR and VeGiTo like this.
    01-13-13 12:40 AM
    Oh god just stop it. It's the tech blogs job to cover what's new in technology. Everyone that follows tech crap is excited to see what bb10 will be like. Something new and different. But the average consumer doesn't know much let alone cares. No "guerrilla marketing". Just tech blogs doing what they've always been doing. When they covered RIM blunders it was a conspiracy now they are coverage RIM finally releasing a good products, its great marketing? Stop it.
    It's not the quantity that is discussed here, but the quality ... Naysayers have played hard on RIM within piles of articles these last months. Now, the exact sames do less articles, but almost all turned 180� towards positive overall perception. This suppose that they had new material to cover. And if you believe this material (incl. leaks) just poped magically ... sorry but - respectfully - you're slightly naive

P.S: same goes for prior "conspiracy" period; material was issued by guerilla - hostile - marketing.
    01-13-13 05:36 AM
    RIM get's back on track and Apple slips. RIM was where Apple is now. They were at a point where their products reached a point where there was nothing new. It became boring. Apple has the same issue now. The iPhone was a new thing because it was all touch. These days and after multiple iMacs and iPhone updates everyone got a bit sick of them. So this time it's time for RIM to show somethng refreshing and it's Apple's turn to get themselves out of their 'crisis' I haven't followed a lot of BB10 at all so really trying to hold out for the 30th.
    01-13-13 06:57 AM
    RIM get's back on track and Apple slips. RIM was where Apple is now. They were at a point where their products reached a point where there was nothing new. It became boring. Apple has the same issue now. The iPhone was a new thing because it was all touch. These days and after multiple iMacs and iPhone updates everyone got a bit sick of them. So this time it's time for RIM to show somethng refreshing and it's Apple's turn to get themselves out of their 'crisis' I haven't followed a lot of BB10 at all so really trying to hold out for the 30th.
    Most corporations would pay for an Apple-type "crisis" right now. Has the iPhone reached the critical saturation point (like the Razr)? Maybe (I don't think so though). But Apple is not struggling, won't be struggling for sometime, and RIM shouldn't act like it is.

I believe the iPhone is still relevant
    Banco and RubberChicken76 like this.
    01-13-13 08:14 AM
    No "guerrilla marketing". Just tech blogs doing what they've always been doing. When they covered RIM blunders it was a conspiracy now they are coverage RIM finally releasing a good products, its great marketing? Stop it.
    Um ... no.

It's very obvious, by the increased number of interviews, product demonstrations with blogs, pubs and media outlets large and small by RIM personel of all levels that the company is doing a giant public relations tour in advance of the launch. And this is not something RIM in the past did. It most definitely is a planned marketing activity. I've seen interviews with RIM employees in little papers and tv shows in secondary markets and stuff. That's new.
    01-13-13 09:16 AM
    BlackBerry/RIM is definitely taking things up a notch now... high profile people (worldwide) are now starting to tweet about BlackBerry 10!

Makes me wonder who they're going to start using for the North American market.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-13-13 09:39 AM
    It's Sunday ... but ... Evangelists never sleep ! Go Adam Go !
    Attached Thumbnails RIM's Guerilla Marketing - It's Working-capture.png  
    01-13-13 10:18 AM
    I see what you did there.

Blackberry 10 sponsoring NFL things?? Hmmmm
    01-13-13 10:19 AM
74 123