Dunno if anyone actually saw this:

apple and google will win the smartphone wars says altucher blackberry is toast: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

What do you guys think??
    Last edited by kil187; 12-15-10 at 11:12 PM.
    12-15-10 11:08 PM
    Admittedly, today's smartphones are getting away from the PDA & communications device smartphone that the BlackBerry still does well (that's why I use it). The people who need this type of smartphone are getting outnumbered by the "new" smartphone users, hence a smaller percentage of the total market for RIM. I hope RIM doesn't try to change BlackBerry to the smartphone for everybody, but concentrates on a business-centric device.
    12-15-10 11:44 PM
    Misguided alarmism.

As long as RIM produces a business solution that is secure, and controllable by a business's IT dept they will survive and have a substantial place in the market. Lots and lots of folks don't pay for their service. Their company does. and the company isn't usually concerned with fashion.

Will they be the fancy, it device? no, and who cares? fashion is its own thing and that's where the apple and android systems are aiming.
    12-16-10 12:08 AM
    We want phones...not toys.
    12-16-10 12:47 AM
    James Altucher is a hedge fund manager with a short position on RIM, why he's continued to make comments on stocks as if he's an impartial viewer speaks volumes of how little the media sources people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 01:24 AM
    Fully agree.

12-16-10 02:51 AM
    The only way RIM will ever fail is if an employee goes postal and sets off an EMP Bomb in their main server facility and other important backup server facilities.

I agree, if I wanted a toy I would invest in the Droid 2 Global...I am still more than willing to try it out but most likely for security concerns I will stay with my trustworthy Essex.

Thnx, �Tripster�

12-16-10 03:12 AM
    I'm on the droid x and 9650 right now the x is my daily driver when the storm 3. Comes out I'm back lol love bb

12-16-10 05:05 AM
    I agree with everyone on this but I think we can all agree that it would not hurt rim to take one model out off all that they have and bring it up to speed for people that like fancy phones with all the trimmings it wouldn't hurt to try smh

Rello likes this.
    12-16-10 05:23 AM
    Really!?
    Read this article
    570News:RIM's Q3 results: today

Looks like they are doing quite well!

12-16-10 06:46 AM
    Really!?
    Read this article

This seems a little biased being that the tone of the article is defensive and it is a Canadien based newspaper, just saying. We def won't know until those earnings are released either. ALSO, I'm assuming its units sold/shipped to carriers, not actual units sold to consumers. This leads me to believe that the Q3 earnings may look good on paper, to investors, but gives no word on how the devices are doing in the end user segment (consumer sales) being that carriers offer BOGO and completely free phones and what not.

Last edited by kil187; 12-16-10 at 07:28 AM.
    12-16-10 07:18 AM
    I also agree that RIM has found a niche in the corporate/business market.

12-16-10 07:37 AM
    Really!?
    Read this article

That's not the actual earnings, just the analyst consensus.
    12-16-10 10:16 AM
    Didn't say it was... I'm sure that
    They aren't far off!

12-16-10 11:14 AM
    how could this guy do such a dastardly thing....
    12-16-10 11:19 AM
    Fully agree.
    Yeah The dumbass "toy" argument ends right here geniuses.

The iOS and Android platform are good enough to merit the attention
    of the finest military on Earth and the BlackBerry does not apparently,
    so can we drop this ridiculous defensive meme.

Army Expanding Soldier Smartphone Program -- Military Communications -- InformationWeek

The devices will be loaded with specialized applications and also allow soldiers to have constant access to email and other forms of communication.

Next year's deployment of devices will begin by giving soldiers secure access to email, contacts, and calendars through a rollout of common access card readers for the iPhone in January and for Android phones in April.
    sallenthornton and Rello like this.
    12-16-10 12:35 PM

Army Expanding Soldier Smartphone Program -- Military Communications -- InformationWeek
    It will never end AG. MIT is creating super computer apps on Android, NASA is using Android for things, the military is deploying iOS and Android, Android devices are being sent into Space... The list continues and so does the ignorance.
    amazinglygraceless and Rello like this.
    12-16-10 12:44 PM
    Anyone think that only blackberries are for business and everything else are toys are either delusional or living in denial. I'm sure the McDonalds cashier I saw today was using her blackberry for business. Same with my teenage brother who doesn't have a job. Yeah I'm sure they are power users waiting for that text message, uh, I mean email to come through quickly.

They can call them toys all they want that's just their way of trying to demean something they wish their phone could do. I'm pretty sure RIM wish it's devices were "toys" so their market share wouldn't be spiraling to it's death.
    12-16-10 12:56 PM
    AG I will have to let you know that the world best military have been using blackberries for years. I got my first blackberry while I was in the military as a 1Lt in 02. The article that you posted is about something a little different but still cool. I however am on the same page as you bout people calling other devices toys, it is beyond high-school.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    12-16-10 01:28 PM
    AG I will have to let you know that the world best military have been using blackberries for years. I got my first blackberry while I was in the military as a 1Lt in 02. The article that you posted is about something a little different but still cool. I however am on the same page as you bout people calling other devices toys, it is beyond high-school.
    Thanks for the follow up. That was not clear in the article and I did not know
    that, it's just that I am really sick of this juvenile slagging of other platform.
    It really is the height of ignorance.

... and on a side note: Thank you for your service to our nation
    12-16-10 02:14 PM
    No worries. And Thank You.
    12-16-10 02:35 PM

That's where QNX comes in. The BBlackberry os was never meant to be mission critical o/s running say a nuclear plant, it was meant to be a secure o/s protecting the intellectual assets of large corporations.

QNX was meant to run mission critical CDN - Nuclear plant powers up on real-time OS applications.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    12-16-10 06:41 PM
    That's where QNX comes in. The BBlackberry os was never meant to be mission critical o/s running say a nuclear plant, it was meant to be a secure o/s protecting the intellectual assets of large corporations.

QNX was meant to run mission critical CDN - Nuclear plant powers up on real-time OS applications.
    I think we can all stop thinking about QNX on a Blackberry. At least in the short term. RIM doesn't seem to have any intention of utilizing that OS on any smart phone in the near future, so to keep mentioning whats basically a hope for change, just sounds like an excuse for RIMs recent short comings.
    12-16-10 06:56 PM
    rim is not going to tell you when its coming it will hurt there sales I don't know how you can expect a company to give you that information. It will first be the playbook then it will be released on phones and when it does it will be the big new thing just like apple was then android and rim will gain really big momentum again if you think there current numbers are big watch next year at this time they will be huge. You guys all talk about jim and mike like there a couple of dorks these two guys no how to make money and they compete head to head with to of the largest companies out there and they are doing amazing and if you really look at the road map and listen to the hints and dates that have been thrown around by the people who know it seems like they are starting to circle those to big companies and attack at both ends
    12-16-10 07:50 PM

I get your point and while I agree with it on balance it is not at all germane
    to mine. Regardless of what QNX brings to the table it does not diminish the
    value of the other platforms.

Mind you, I am in no way slagging the existing BlackBerry OS, I just wish the
    wingnuts around here would stop trying to pacify themselves by doing the
    same to the competition.
    12-16-10 09:29 PM
226 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD