For me there's a growing sense that what's happening with RIM and their developers is something so rare and fantastic. The love and passion from both sides is obvious. This is the grassroots moment that was needed yet unexpected. Nobody thought RIM could pull this type of engagement off but they are. Around the world, twice or more! And it continues.
    The list of hackathons RIM has had is growing day by day. The tools provided and the ability of the OS seem to be very attractive. Gaining momentum as they move along.
    Setting up offices in important development centers around the world to assist porting activities, is so smart. RIM understands that once they obtain the critical mass of quality apps, the rest follow.
    All this is equal to good advertising as well. Positive reports are flowing out of these events worldwide. Genius!
    Has any other mobile OS ever gone to such lengths, even close? Is what we continue to see from RIM going to be template for the rest to follow in the future?
    The emerging picture is one of a huge success!
    Love what I see! Can't say enough! Keep up the excelant work, both RIM and all their developers. Can't wait to see the products of your efforts.
    10-12-12 10:17 PM
    And quiet revolution is currently underway. Developers are in love with BB10 10. BB10 is a creative platform. What other platform can a Dev exercise there creativity to the extent of BB10. One only has to guage just how quickly the platform will evolve based on where the SDK'S are in parallel to RIM internal development and 3rd party support. LOL. There are currently devs authoring books on BB10 development and we are still months away from official launch.

SDK'S are to go gold soon. I can only imagine what amazing software and the rate at which RIM is developing the platform.

Something definitely special is at play here. I'm sure Kevin has seen some amazing software demos that he is unfortunately unable to comment on.
    10-12-12 11:47 PM
    What I love is developer reaction to the platform. Many devs are just utterly amazed at just how powerful and capable the platform is

RIM's dev teams are very passionate. Outside devs are excited. We are going to see some amazing software. The intimate relationship between RIM and devs is very heart warming. I love it!
    anon(3896606) and Dapper37 like this.
    10-12-12 11:53 PM
    The emerging picture is one of a huge success!
    The battle is already over and more amazingly they won the day before they released or sold a single device! Who needs an old fashioned thing like profits!
    10-13-12 12:48 AM
    The battle is already over and more amazingly they won the day before they released or sold a single device! Who needs an old fashioned thing like profits!
    LOL.
    10-13-12 12:59 AM
    Has any other mobile OS ever gone to such lengths, even close? Is what we continue to see from RIM going to be template for the rest to follow in the future?
    No. Yes
    10-13-12 02:39 AM
    I thought you'd take a break after blowing it with your predictions on the last quarterly report. At which time you jumped into every positive thread, attempted to ruin the positive enthusiasm with your negative projections. That turned out to be wrong! Yet here you are again, in a thread that you clearly have no place and trying and ruin people's enthusiasm again? What gives, what do you need? I think the battle you speak of is going on inside yourself.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 10-13-12 at 05:21 AM.
    zyben likes this.
    10-13-12 03:30 AM
    To take this post back on topic.
    I think how RIM is involving development communities from around the world, right at the inception of this new platform will pay dividends for years to come. The future of mobile is in a great part, outside of the US. RIM is so well positioned for this growth it crazy!!!
    10-13-12 03:59 AM
    I thought you'd take a break after blowing it with your predictions on the last quarterly report. At which time you jumped into every positive thread, attempted to ruin the positive enthusiasm with your negative projections. That turned out to be wrong! Yet here you are again, in a thread that you clearly have no place and trying and ruin people's enthusiasm again? What gives, what do you need? I think the battle you speak of is going on inside yourself.
    Oh give him a break, just trying to keep us all grounded even if wrong.
    richardat likes this.
    10-13-12 08:09 AM
    Their developer relations are admirable. I quit BB development about 2 years ago when their support was well below average. It's gotten a lot better.
    The tools...they're better, but still not great. Documentation is becoming more focused than it was a couple years ago, but it's still all over the place.

Baby steps. RIM still hasn't learned to walk when it comes to developers, they're still in the crawling phase. Let's not force them to run, or we'll end up with tools like we have for Android...yuck.
    10-13-12 08:18 AM
    As much as the high times RIM is enjoying with the developers (let's admit it, its not like they ever enjoyed such high relationships before, no?) I think the bar still lies within GOOGLE (ranked 1st) and APPLE (ranked 2nd), if I'm going to suggest the rankings this way.

That much said, I think they're better off than before, but like the poster above me just said, they're still learning. Even the hackathon in Malaysia had some hiccups, clearly giving insight that RIM's still learning about how to organize, manage, run and handle hackathons, something that's very developer-centric.
    10-13-12 08:59 AM
    As much as the high times RIM is enjoying with the developers (let's admit it, its not like they ever enjoyed such high relationships before, no?) I think the bar still lies within GOOGLE (ranked 1st) and APPLE (ranked 2nd), if I'm going to suggest the rankings this way.

That much said, I think they're better off than before, but like the poster above me just said, they're still learning. Even the hackathon in Malaysia had some hiccups, clearly giving insight that RIM's still learning about how to organize, manage, run and handle hackathons, something that's very developer-centric.
    I would say Microsoft is the clear frontrunner for dev relationship and tools. I caveat that with the (very un-Microsoft) missing WP8 SDK.
    10-13-12 09:05 AM
    Anyone know Devs who are in the works of making both BB10 and WP8 apps??? I'd love here thoughts from someone with experience with both!
    10-13-12 10:25 AM
    Anyone know Devs who are in the works of making both BB10 and WP8 apps??? I'd love here thoughts from someone with experience with both!
    There is no windows 8 sdk yet, so few devs are able to develop their applications.

I've dabbled in both BB10 (native + Cascades) and WP7. There is no contest between the tools, Microsoft has the best tools by far. The WP7 apis are a bit weak in some places, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the actual tools.
    Cascades compared to BB5-6-7 Java though, a huge improvement.
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    10-13-12 11:43 AM
    I thought you'd take a break after blowing it with your predictions on the last quarterly report.

Yes I got it wrong, I thought their loss would be bigger than it was - so what?

As for your other comments, well that's between you and your case worker.
    10-13-12 12:39 PM
    It didn't take a crystal ball to think RIM would lose money for last quarter, they even warned that that could happen with margins shrinking. But if RIM is able to execute their business plan for BB10 as well as for BBOS (in this last year) then I have high expectations. They do seem to have been very focused and successful even increasing their cash on hand.

I can't believe the turnaround this company is engineering. They certainly are doing everything right to make BB10 great and in the end users benefit. All I know is I like what I see and I want BB10 NOW!
    10-13-12 05:29 PM
    Come on Folks....we all know it will be a tightrope walk....lets let that one lie. The topic at hand is developer tools....ON THAT TOPIC....I believe there is a real fervor by both corporation and community. Kind of nice for a staid Canadian company
    10-13-12 05:46 PM
    I would say Microsoft is the clear frontrunner for dev relationship and tools. I caveat that with the (very un-Microsoft) missing WP8 SDK.
    i do not disagree that MS is the frontrunner for dev relationship, if you lump MS and RIM under one category (since both companies are very tightlipped and cagey about their OSes, and i'll lump Apple and Google into another group because normally they'll release their OS in full for the devs to tinker around). What I wanted to point out is that RIM is doing a better job at making developers flock to them, as well as assisting developers in their work, as compared to the BBOS4/5/6 days.
    10-13-12 07:30 PM
    At least RIM aren't confused by having too many devs to actually have a relationship with. From the pictures at that Asia Jam session, there appeared to be about 35 people there.
    10-13-12 07:34 PM
    When I went to BB10Jam in Orlando, you could feel the change coming. There was still a lot of room for improvement, including how they worked with developers. Me being a Java developer, a lot of it was over my head, but I could still feed off the enthusiasm.

At BBJam Americas, you could tell they made a lot of improvements, not only with the development tools, but with their communication with developers and supporting the tools they have out. There were a lot more developers there (compared to Orlando), and I met quite a few new developers who were not only new to BlackBerry development, there were even some who had already released a BB10 app without even knowing Cascades.

I haven't participated in any developer events for Android, WP, or iOS, but I definitely have seen improvements that RIM has made in working with their developer community. I know I'm excited about BB10 and will have my BB10 game submitted very soon.
    10-13-12 09:39 PM
    10-15-12 09:41 AM
    I'm getting really interested in this discussion!!! Get into more specifics. . .any specific strategies you guys seeing being use by RIM or Microsoft that make sense??? What doesn't make sense? Does it really make a difference what platform releases to the public with the more apps available??? What about the enterprise side of things??? Who's making the most strides to attract enterprise costumers? Why do people simply have more faith in Microsoft's strategy? Is it the huge amount of cash they have available? The fact that they are so close to getting products into the market when compared to RIM? (sorry for all the questions. . .just trying to keep this going. . .LOL)
    10-15-12 08:40 PM