**THIS IS NOT FOR TROLLING THIS IS FOR HONEST FEEDBACK**

with that being said lets get this topic on the road. Thorsten said to CBK that he is going be listening to what we have to say here on CB and really take it to heart so lets help him out. i want this thread to be about RIMs new advertiseing they put in place revolving around News Years resolutions and the Be Bold team. this is for constructive critisum not trolling or slander which im already seeing in the comments in Michelle's blog about it. so please MODs keep an eye on this and kick iut the ruffiens trying to make trouble.

ill go first. i will agree with some of the critics and say they look kinda like power rangers. if RIM is trying to go for the younger audiance i can sure see it but doing it this way i feel as an older BB user, well not that old lol, embaressed to be a BBfan-boy. this just seems very childish way of moving forward with the Be Bold advertiseing skeem they have on tye go now, doesnt mesh with the Be Bold commercials airing right now. again i dont have any degree in marketing/advertising i know what i like and this new face of Be Bold is not something i am looking forward to.
    01-30-12 11:17 PM
    Thorsten can watch the CNET Video posted in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...inside-693347/

That's a good start.
    01-30-12 11:36 PM
    Um, if they are targetting Tweens and younger than teenagers, then go for it. Anyone over 12 would be embarrassed by it I'd guess.
    01-30-12 11:48 PM
    Before this can happen RIM needs to fix the bricking issue.
    01-31-12 06:34 AM
    It doesn't appeal to me personally but I'm not the demographic that they're shooting for with this campaign. I think their marketing team need to broaden their horizons.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    01-31-12 08:27 AM
    I think its cute. Theres a lot of teenagers and tweens using BB's these days and this may just appeal to them. If this wasn't their target market then they may have missed the mark.

Either way they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. I choose to support them no matter what. I'm sick and tired of reading these boards and seeing all the people that have nothing to do but complain about lack of advertising, and then when RIM does try to branch out, they complain about how it was done. I don't see the Be Bold Team becoming a big marketing outlet, I think its just a follow up to their New Year's marketing.

People need to look at the up and coming marketing and at least have some support. And if you can't then just shut up. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say then just don't say anything???
    01-31-12 09:00 AM
    Lame. Lame, lame, lame. Oh, so says my 10 yo.

Oh:
    "And if you can't then just shut up. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say then just don't say anything???"
    Um, companies trying to survive (like RIM) are looking for constructive criticism. Keep your mouth shut and play the fanboy, and RIM will continue to die. They WANT feedback. Time to be honest and give it to them.
    Last edited by decypher44; 01-31-12 at 09:08 AM.
    01-31-12 09:04 AM
    I think its cute. Theres a lot of teenagers and tweens using BB's these days and this may just appeal to them. If this wasn't their target market then they may have missed the mark.

Either way they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. I choose to support them no matter what. I'm sick and tired of reading these boards and seeing all the people that have nothing to do but complain about lack of advertising, and then when RIM does try to branch out, they complain about how it was done. I don't see the Be Bold Team becoming a big marketing outlet, I think its just a follow up to their New Year's marketing.

People need to look at the up and coming marketing and at least have some support. And if you can't then just shut up. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say then just don't say anything???
    One could argue that poor execution is almost, if not more, detrimental to the brand than no execution. It's not enough to just simply put something out there. It has to be a well thought out, quality campaign.

Also, anyone notice the spelling and grammar mistakes in people's tweets in RIM's infographic? I know they're tweets, but surely they could've picked ones with proper spelling and grammar.
    Last edited by HeezyBear; 01-31-12 at 09:16 AM.
    01-31-12 09:08 AM
    Lame. Lame, lame, lame. Oh, so says my 10 yo.

Oh:
    "And if you can't then just shut up. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say then just don't say anything???"
    Um, companies trying to survive (like RIM) are looking for constructive criticism. Keep your mouth shut and play the fanboy, and RIM will continue to die. They WANT feedback. Time to be honest and give it to them.
    Theres nothing wrong with contrsuctive criticism but some of the comments to that blog couldn't even come close to being called constructive. Comments like those are nothing short of pure hatred and don't benefit anyone.
    01-31-12 09:15 AM
    One could argue that poor execution is almost, if not more, detrimental to the brand than no execution. It's not enough to just simply put something out there. It has to be a well thought out, quality campaign.
    Perhaps you missed where I said that I don't think that this is a marketing campaign, so much as a follow up. A compilation of data if you will. I seriously doubt RIM will be pushing the Be Bold Team in our face for the forseeable future.
    01-31-12 09:18 AM
    Perhaps you missed where I said that I don't think that this is a marketing campaign, so much as a follow up. A compilation of data if you will. I seriously doubt RIM will be pushing the Be Bold Team in our face for the forseeable future.
    Maybe you're right, maybe they won't be in our face in the future. But they put the hashtag #BeBold as part of the infographic to get people on twitter talking about it. Unfortunately if you search that on twitter right now you'll see nothing but negativity towards the campaign. And whether or not we'll see anymore of the Be Bold team, the obvious fact is it's another reason for people to bash BlackBerry.
    01-31-12 09:27 AM
    So this confirms that they will still release the so called lower end devices like curves, because i doubt parents will be getting them the higher end bold/torch phones

i think its abit too childish, this should of been one of the last things they shouldve done sorta like when you run out of ideas...but first ?!?! im not so sure now
    01-31-12 09:50 AM
    RIM: It's okay, we have superheroes -- Engadget

The pattern certainly seems to fit. From left to right: there's GoGo Girl, who "saves the day with a brilliant strategy" (translation: we don't have a strategy). Then comes Justin Steele, who's "always ready to stick up for his friends" (translation: we don't have friends). Trudy Foreal "isn't afraid to call it as she sees it" (translation: our shareholders are complaining). Finally, the adventurous Max Stone is "able to jump out of a plane" (translation: we're going to crash).
    01-31-12 10:10 AM
    I'm not fond of the sarcastic articles that have appeared today because they're nonconstructive.

The entire superhero campaign doesn't make sense to me. RIM appear to have gone from focusing on enterprise to focusing squarely on children. Completely ignoring the demographic in between that actually has money to spend, the average consumer. Do they really want to be known as the "kiddie" brand?

Granted the campaign is based on input from actual users and I think they're targeting teenagers but I think teenagers are far more sophisticated than this nowadays and the campaign will likely fall flat with its intended demographic.

Last edited by xandermac; 01-31-12 at 10:26 AM.
    01-31-12 10:23 AM
    RIM keeps shooting themselves in the foot. Does anyone there even have a clue?

They've been raked through the coals for a while now - and rightfully so. They shouldn't give people more ammunition like this.

People will take RIM even less seriously than they have in the past. This is NOT the type of campaign you run when you're in the position RIM is in.
    decypher44 likes this.
    01-31-12 10:28 AM
    RIM *should* release this as a low end (new curve with integrated BBM button) marketing campaign. Dont release it like this with nothing around it. They absolutely need TARGETED marketing. Understandably this infograph was created off of user input, but as it was published it would only alienate the older demographic. Targeted marketing is the key, not blanket all over the place marketing.
    01-31-12 10:32 AM
    This super hero stuff is just rubbish. They will be getting loads of bad press for this again... Lol, BGR has a post about it.

You can't move forward with campaigns like this. Heins needs to hurry the hiring of a CMO asap.
    01-31-12 10:39 AM
    If you thought RIM was culturally tone-deaf before when it came to marketing, this ad only heightens that perception. I am officially embarrassed for RIM.
    01-31-12 10:40 AM
    I see one major problem with both the Be Bold (and the old Love) campaigns: they don't tell you anything about the value of BlackBerry products or services.

As a potential customer I want to know what can BlackBerry do for me? It doesn't even need to be something that is different than the competition, just let me know that BlackBerry can do it too - and better yet, inform me on how to do it on a BlackBerry.

The problem with the current campaigns is there is style but no substance.
    01-31-12 10:48 AM
    I see one major problem with both the Be Bold (and the old Love) campaigns: they don't tell you anything about the value of BlackBerry products or services.

As a potential customer I want to know what can BlackBerry do for me? It doesn't even need to be something that is different than the competition, just let me know that BlackBerry can do it too - and better yet, inform me on how to do it on a BlackBerry.

The problem with the current campaigns is there is style but no substance.
    This ^ above all else! People want to know what the device can do, how can it help ME, not how does it make me "feel" or will it empower me to "tell it the way it is".

RIMs campaigns seem to avoid entirely the capability of the actual devices.

It may seem trivial but customizable notifications and app interoperability are things that really do not exist on other devices. On the iPhone, for example, I cannot even send a link from a webpage to a text message contact (without jumping thru hoops) yet on the BlackBerry I can send that link via SMS, email, Facebook, twitter etc. etc. with a simple menu option.

Android does a better job of sharing than the iPhone but it's sharing appears to be dependent on the particular application and options vary.

In my experience it's only the BlackBerry that has this interoperability built-in to the operating system itself and I'm surprised that this is not a huge selling point.

If they want to attract teenagers show them how easy it is to share their social media with their friends and stay away from the novelty cartoon characters.

Last edited by xandermac; 01-31-12 at 11:15 AM.
    01-31-12 11:00 AM
    It's laughable and the time and money wasted on this could have been used so much better. Stuff like this is embarrassing and people should be fired for even suggesting that they use cartoon as a way to advertise. Cute is not what RIM needs, they need a nice fresh marketing strategy. For starters I'd be moving away from the Bold name. It was good, but it's time to let it die.
    01-31-12 11:12 AM
    This ^ above all else! People want to know what the device can do, how can it help ME, not how does it make me "feel" or will it empower me to "tell it the way it is".

RIMs campaigns seem to avoid entirely the capability of the actual devices.
    That's part of the problem - what capabilities are they going to show that makes people want to run out and buy it in place of an iPhone or Android device?

Going to show off e-mail? BBM? Big deal. The small screen on the bold devices?

They really should limit most of their campaigns towards the enterprise for now, otherwise they'll just be throwing money away. When they should go full throttle is when BB10 phones are out - whenever that will be. And in the meantime, start initiating a rebranding of BB10 and hire some external sources to help prepare for that campaign.
    01-31-12 11:14 AM
    That's part of the problem - what capabilities are they going to show that makes people want to run out and buy it in place of an iPhone or Android device?.
    Sorry. I had edited my post with a couple of examples while you were posting.

01-31-12 11:17 AM
    Rim is a solid professional business ...why are they doing this and trying to be cute lol wtf .... Please Don't tell me this ends up with every bb phone with a power rimger at the back of the phone ... Visions of multi million business men with this at the back of their fone ... LOL
    01-31-12 11:18 AM
    Lord help me for looking at something from Fox News, but here's their take on RIM's cartoon heroes:

RIM's Comeback Plan For Blackberry: Cartoon Superheroes? | Fox News
    01-31-12 11:23 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD